Old Fart's Closet Journal *Yoda's Buckets**Irish's LEDs* This could be a TrainWreck..

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by Old Fart 420, May 8, 2011.

1. #1 Old Fart 420, May 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2011
    ..AllllllllllllAboard.. [​IMG] Welcome everyone! This is my first grow...well not my first attempt, but we wont go there!!:eek: I have done a LOT of research and have come up with what I believe will work for me, for now. I came to GC through a google search on growing mj and found a wealth of knowledge and started pouring into it. I also discovered there are some perty darn kuelle peeps that hang out here as well, some even willing to share their knowledge and help a newb like me. Thank you! I came across this Budslingers Recirculating bubble Buckets as I started reading I saw the simplicity in the design, loved the aspect of DIY, it was totally differ...oops not going there, and then I saw this one line..
    followed by this statement
    I was sold ... EDIT: Please feel free to ask any questions about my setup. I could have purchased a tent for a couple hundred and made it fit in the closet. As I said earlier, I love the aspect of DIY and this was WAY cheaper (just hope it doesnt look that way) :D
    So a few details:
    My closet
    Before
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The light- Spectra 290 by Grow LED Hydro it features 12 true wavelengths and 90 degree lenses. It uses 160 high powered 3w chips and draws 290w of power.
    [​IMG]

Nutes (and digital fish tank water temp)
    [​IMG]

Monitering

Hannah model Hi98129 pH, EC/TDS Temp (with temp compensation) also has user selectable conversion factor
    [​IMG]

$25.00 indoor/outdoor temp/Rh moniter
    [​IMG]

The Beans, I had 3 selections and after asking for opinions in the growers lounge came up with this. Thanks for all the input, you guys :metal:
    [​IMG]

and as of this post they have been in a paper towel for 24 hours, lets take a look... OMG, 24 hours 4 beans in and 4 beans germed :yay: sorry for the crappy pic, they was too young to handle, so put them back in the dark. Will put them in cubes in the morning.
    [​IMG]

Well, looks like we're rollin...grab a [​IMG] and lets see where we go...

O F :metal:

2. #2 skyclad808, May 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2011
    Im first Im first
    :bongin::bongin::bongin::bongin::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::bongin::bongin::bongin::bongin:
    What
    NO
    Red Dragon.
    I demand to know why not?
    Wait do we have to be good in here?
    Looks great buddy!
    [​IMG]

3. I am subbin in Old Fart!! You are gonna rock[​IMG] those TrainWrecks [​IMG] man!! I can feel it!! Plus you got some of the best growers[​IMG] in the world [​IMG] here to help u out if you need it! I am stoked to see your bubble [​IMG] buckets in action!!!

4. Speak for yourself. I suck at growing I already killed one.
    :hello:But I was here first:hello:
    I can make popcorn and read and tell stories out of smileys. :p

5. OoooKaaayyy ... Well lets talk about you and anything that dont have to do with OF's grow outside of his GROW journal eh??

6. #6 Old Fart 420, May 8, 2011

Red Dragon:confused::confused: No, goodness not neeeded...well:ey::ey: maybe this kind...

Thanks man, ive got good vibes too...dude as far as the best growers, (edit for Sky) GC is the ONLY forum I have posted on, no need to go any where else IMO!

^^^
    Sky, Philly's edgin in on your enforcer tag :devious::p:rolleyes:

7. LMAO you rock.
    Those lights are insane looking. That is crazy!
    This is gonna be great this will be the first grow journal I got to when it started. I am super excited about seeing a grow start to finish.
    The best growers in the world I think he means like the people in the thread we are always in old fart. Not on other forums. LOL:p:wave::p

8. Check out the new tag. LOL

Bro I gotta ask ya... What the hell are "Irish" LEDs??

9. LOL, I prolly shoulda linked his journal earlier Irish Boy's 2011 Spectra Led Grow (Revenge Of Casey Jones) sorry bout that man. I researched a lot of LED journals until I found his. It was his journals and his willingness to help, like so many others here that eventually led me to buying this light.

O F:metal:

10. Ahh I got ya!! Now it makes perfect sense to me! Here is a lil tip for ya man... When you transfer the sprouts to your rockwool or rapid rooter plugs and put them in your buckets make a couple little trasparent humidity domes and place them over the sprouts to keep them from getting dry at all in the 1st few critical days. You may have to wet the grow medium or cubes for s few days in the beginning of their young lives. If you have a large enough transparent bowl that will cover the whole netpot that is the best plan and it will keep the medium moist till the roots start growing but if mot you can use like a 20oz soda or water bottle cut in half and using both halves(as long as you have the cap still). So if you have 4 bubble buckets you will need 2 bottles. Use both the top and the bottom of each bottle cap the sprouts and keep that moisture in the cubes. This isnt 100% necessary but it is something I do so I dont have to keep wetting the cube several times a day.Good luck bro!!!

11. I had read in your journal just last nite about you going straight into the net pots with the seedling, those little domes you have are awesome. I was planning on using Grodan cubes and "dipping" them until roots drop out of the bottom of the cube. Will definately give your method a try down the road when I feel comfortable experimenting. I spent a lot of time lurking in Doin's "Blueberry" thread which between that and Slingers tutorial, gave me a lot of knowledge about the dipping method. Also ya gotta remember, I have about 10% of the radiant heat a normal lighting setup has.

12. Ayyoooo old fart!

best of luck to you :)

13. Ahh Makes sense then bro!! Less heat the slower they will dry out. My cool tubes really keep the temps down ... i use a cooling fan that is a lil over board but I would rather too much air than not enough. I can always strap a dial controller on it to slow it down ya know?? But even though mine stay real cool I am imagining the LEDs give off next to no heat. I am stoked to watch your grow cause I need to see someone have total success with LEDs before I am convinced. I mean I have seen people make it from start to finish on LEDs alone but the end product always looks like it would be alot better if it was flowered with HID lighting. I am pulling for success here bro!! Then I would be more comfortable starting to use them in a small role in my setups.

14. Thanks man, nice to know I got good peeps behind me in this. Dial controller, LOL I got one I gotta put on my ONA bucket. If you have some time check out some of Irish's journal's man. He has been growing with them exclusivly for a while now.

15. Hey OF :wave:

I figure us old guys gotta stick together so here I am...;)

Love how clean and organized your room looks...nice to see a rookie actually put in some research and planning before they crack their seeds...

Philly is absolutely correct, you will have some extremely talented growers (not me btw...) behind you on this and you have done research and planning on everything...so I expect to see great results...:D

Don't let me down...:poke:

16. #16 Old Fart 420, May 8, 2011
    Well, here's my very first update...
    This morning, the 2 seeds that had visible tails more than doubled in size in 12 hours :eek: One was about 3/4 inch long and I was really nervous about damaging it, but it actually went easier than the 2nd one, which was about 1/2 inch and had curled :( , I just place it as gently as I could trying to direct it downward...
    [​IMG]
    ^^^
    These 2 were being lazy, but I went ahead and put them in cubes as well
    [​IMG]
    ^^^
    Here they are. :laughing: I didnt have any string so I used some hemp wick to tie them with.
    [​IMG]
    ^^^
    pH is low, Im such a newb, I got the RO water going last night, very accurately measured the water in 5 gal increments. I will be running exactly 25 gallons when the water level is 1 inch below the netpots and 27 gallons to keep it 1/4 inch below the pots when the babies first go in. But then I used way too much pH down and dropped it from 7.8 down to 3.1 :eek: So this morning I pulled 5 gallons out and replace with a fresh 5 gals...that raised it a whopping .3 So reluctantly I added some pH up and brought it up to here. Will let it set a day or 2, but figure this should be ok to dip for now ???

[​IMG]
    ^^^
    I am most likely gonna need to do some changes to my ventilation :( The bottom reading are actually at the top and the top reading at the floor.

17. Not to be a bummer, but it looks like it...:(

Do you have and exhaust fan running now?

18. Thanks for stoppin in I F :wave:

I do, its a muffin fan actually attached to the ceiling, its rates at like 95 cfm but...its a muffin fan. I feel air moving above it, but cant really feel any at the intake on the floor :(. For now Im gonna pull the carbon filter and see if that makes any difference, dont need it right now any way.

19. #19 IgnorantFool, May 8, 2011
    I'm a big believer in over doing things...just warning ya right off...

A 95cfm fan seems really small for that space...

Carbon filters can reduce your cfm significantly...sometimes cut it in half depending on the filter...

As long as you have somewhere to vent into, I wouldn't mess around, I'd put at least a 240cfm fan (actually I'd use a 360cfm fan, but like i said I like to over do things) in there with a speed controller on it so you can turn it down if you need to...

I know you've done your research, so I assume you've already read these, but just in case...

http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-room-design-setup/594150-ventilation-faq.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-room-design-setup/594150-ventilation-faq-4.html#post7577617

20. #20 Old Fart 420, May 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2011
    Yessir, thank you I actually have been through that thread and seen both the formulas. The 2nd link I didnt see the formula's really applying because it was dealing with hps. I actually used these calculations
    LxWxH / 5 min

10'x10'x10' / 5 Min
    =
    1000 ft^3 / 5 Min
    =
    200 ft^3 / Min
    = 200 CFM
    applied to my room
    7'x2.5'x5.25' / 5
    =
    91.875 ft^3 / Min
    =18.375 CFM
    so I was figuring the muffin fan would still be adequate. Just didnt figure the DIY carbon filter would be even more restrictive than that :rolleyes: