Auto Red Dwarf, 2x4 tent, first Grow 600W

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by bigbaby420, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Hey everyone, this is a late start, but better late then never and i could use some help and advice... im at about day 40 from seed, i started out with 6 fem red dwarf buddha seeds from attitude seed bank.. i germed them stuck them in some 2" rockwool cubes and kept them under the dome till they were about 2" tall then took the top off the dome and put them under my lights... i'm rocking a 600w conversion light and i started out with the MH bulb and set the ballast to 50% strenth and like 3 feet above so i didn't burn the the little girls,... At about 7 days from seed i moved the rockwool cubes into my 6 inch net pots with hydroton and put the pots into my 35 gallon tupperware dwc/aeroponic setup... set the ph to 5.8, and just kept an eye on them....the first mistake i made was i thought it was a good idea to keep misting the plants throughout the day, till i read on here that its burns the plants in the lights, whoops.... that was the last time i sprayed them for awhile cause i started out running my lights 24/7.... everything was going good, the roots started poking out the bottom of the net pots, i stilll wasnt using nutes... it was about day 12, i got home from work, went to check on my little girls and they all looked they got stomped on.... my pump went out, they were under my lights all day and werent getting sprayed by my misters at all, luckily one of my plants roots were just long enough to hang into my water in the rez... the other 5 were looking rough... i happen to order a extra pump for doing water changes so i switched them out and fixed the problem right away, but the damage was done... i ended up losing 3 plants, and completley stunting 2 of them..... everything started to work its self out and i got the other 2 plants healthy agian... it was about day 20 when i start using nutes, i wanted to start earlier but waited for the 2 little plants to get big enough.... this is where i made my 3rd mistake, after adding nutes the plants started looking fucked up, i thought i burnt them so i adjusted my ppm to about 400... and slowly they started looking worse, i then realized i wasn't burning them, they were starving, i bumped up my ppm to about 750 and they took off... i slowly kept bumping up my ppm 100 a day and checking my ph to keep it at about 5.8 and there currently at day 40.. about 1500ppm, 18/6 light scheduleand i changed to the HPS bulb at 100%.... i ordered a camera on ebay and it should be here tommorow, i'll post pics cause i know theres not a whole lot on the strain out there, and i could use some help... I am really excited about my first grow, and have been making lots of mistakes and learning alot... hopefully this grow helps others out as much as this site has been helping me...

2. Sounds like a typical first grow, full of errors, mishaps and un-assured second guessing. Sorry to hear about your pump going out; some things you have to chalk up to the cannabis gods. I think they're testing your faith and determination ;). Welcome to GC, have fun, keep doing what your doing, can't wait to see the pictures.

3. i cant wait to see a pic.

4. #4 bigbaby420, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2011
    all right i got my camera... let me try to get caught up, ill try to post all info possible, just ask me questions if i leave anything out

Heres The Seeds i got from attitude right in the breeders pack, they gave me a option to keep them in the breeders packs, or they could open them up and pack them in a tshirt... they called it stealth packaging and charged a extra 30 bucks i think, i said fuck it, i wanted to make sure i got what i was paying for so i opted for them to be kept in the packs

Attached Files:

5. ok this is the little germenation dome i used for my 2" rockwool cubes... but i didn't use that light, thats my new little clone veg light i got from htg supply for like 70 bucks, its got 4- 2 foot grow bulbs and puts out 8000 lumens.. but i used my 600w MH to veg my red buddha, just turned down the ballast to 50% , which is as low as it goes... 100% 75% and 50% are my only options..
    Right now i have some afgani kush seeds and Rocklock seeds started in there for my next grow... and these are the meters i use to measure my stuff, the truechoen stick is awsome, no calibrating, no switchs, nothing, just stick it in the water and it lights up all levels from ec to ppm on the 700 or 500 scale so it makes it real easy to understand whats equevalent,(dont mind my spelling, i suck).

Attached Files:

6. ok let me back up... those were purchased after i wasted my money on this peice of shit.... i paid almost 200 bucks thinking it would be amazing and make things so easy for me... big mistake, brand new out the package i put all the probes in the water to check everything out... it read the temp as 666 degrees... i should have known right then... but i convinced myself it was still gonna work out for me cause it was still giving me the ph level and ppm's.. i think it might have been giving me acurate readings at first, but im not really sure... after about 3 days it started giving all sorts of crazy numbers like my ph was 40 or something... it was fucked.. i then ordered the 2 hand held ones.. and they rock.. DONT BUY ONE OF THESE>>> they are fucked...

Attached Files:

7. ok heres my tent setup, its 2'x4' by 63" tall ... its a secret jardin dr120w.. its a discontinued model that i had trouble finding on web but it was the perfect size for under my staircase.. i have a 600 digital dimable ballast, my light has a vented hood connected to a 4" inline fan then to a carcoal filter.. tight fit, but perfect, i have a speed control on my inline fan so i can adjust it so get the right temp in my tent... i put the digital readout for my temp and humidity on top the tent so i can check it without opening it.....

Attached Files:

8. ok heres my 35 gallon dwc/aeroponic setup... i got a 150 gallon aquairuim air pump with 2 lines coming off it going to 2 deep water micro pore air diffuser airstones from The hydro source... it has 5 sprayers running across the middle of the tote that spray my nutrient solution on my roots... i guess you can turn the sprayes off once your roots are long enough to hang in the water... but i keep mine going 24/7 cause it circulates my water and keeps it nice and bubbly.

Attached Files:

9. ok here are the girls.. day 41 but i stunted the 2 smaller ones, and the big ones a mutant..

Attached Files:

10. here are some close ups of the big one i was talking about... check out all the bud sites competing for main cola ;).. i keep tucking them down... and the stems are nuts... its crazy all the ones poking out the top are colas and if you move them to the sides and look into the plant all i see are budsites.. its totally different then the other plants..

Attached Files:

11. day 42... check out these healthy white roots... they taste like bean sprouts, i had to try them, i wouldn't hurt the roots on purpose but when i did my last water change i accidentally gut some pinched off in the water pump so i mucnhed on it..lol

Attached Files:

12. Day 42..Current temp 73... ec 2.2... ppm is 1540 or 1100 depending on what scale you use (500 or 700).. thats what makes it confusing, and the truncheon netrient meter saves my ass, that formula is kinda confusing when i'm still learning everything, and PH is 5.8

Attached Files:

13. Your setup looks solid! how long are you planning on vegging?

14. man looking good.Thanks for saving me some money i was about to buy that same meter.What carbon filter do you recommend I 'm running a 4" in line exagasht fan also.Going to start sprouting this evening my light is gonna be fedex delivered tommorow.After they pop should i run my lights on them?

15. well, since there autos the only thing i can really control is the nutes and light schedule, for lights i have my HPS bulb in and lights at 18/6....i have the nutes switched over to the 16ml micro and 8ml of bloom per gallon of GH, and i put about 2ml a gallon of diamond nectar... and i put in hygrozyme and florasheild about 3ml per gallon of each.... i have some liquid cool bloom i am about to start using but i'm waiting for the 2 smaller plants to catch up........... previous to my 16ml and 8ml nutes that i'm at now, i had it at 10ml micro and 5ml bloom per gallon for veg... so i think im in bloom right?

16. i bought a combo from ebay on my inline fan charcoal filter combo... i think i got lucky and go a good one, but if i were to order agian i would go to HTG supply... i really like there website, they have everything, quick disrcet shipping, and i trust them... And i put my lights on my seedling as soon as they were about 1" out the grow cube(or soil line) and just made sure they didn't dry out... i think this is the most critical part from seed, if they dry out there fucked, and i guess you can drown them easy too... i just checked them as much as possible when there little, and pray.. but i think the rockwool helps with holding water and air...

17. oh and with the meters... something handheld and portable is key... i guess i didn't think about water changes when i bought that other one... you want to be able to check water ph levels and ppm levels of your rez, and in the water your adding to the rez, so having one thats connected all the time in your rez kinda sucks cause you cant move it without untangling everything its a big hassle

18. i bet lol.I'm doing a dirt grow for my first run.i got happy frog dirt.Going to get some distilled water and soak my seed today.

19. i need some advice.... so there is some yellowing around the edges of some leaves, and i would suspect too many nutes... I set my ppm to about 1500 everymorning with a ph at about 5.5... at night there at 1700 with ph of 6.2... i add water and adjust back to the 1500ppm 5.5ph.... simple right... well you would think that the plant to get burnt would be my small one, but its the big ones... WTF??? so then you would maybe think there underfed maybe... but whys my ppm rising? is it possible that a smaller plant from the same strain can somehow handle more nutes? doesnt make sense to me... i'm going to take some pics and post as soon as my lights go out with my flash on to show you true colors, cause my hps throws off the camera..

20. #20 H8tter, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2011
    IS the yellowing on the bottom leaves or new growth? is it just yellowing or is it crispy/burnt looking? is it on the fringe of the leaves?

Ok, i'll try to give you my experience with this PH/PPM fluctuation. I have a Trimeter always monitoring my res PH. When the light is on, my PH will get more accidic. If you attempt to PH balance your res dring a high acidic PH flucation period, it could be dipping to low and locking nutes out? I've caught myself swinging back and forth between low/high PH rages during my first trial and now i've developed a system. If the lights are out for an hour or more, i'll set it a little high (5.9-6.0) and during the light period (5.5-5.6)
    Seemed to workout much better this time around

Some I'll try to make a time table

10pm <-- 5.9 PH (hour after lights go out)
    6am <--- 6.2 PH (near end of dark period)
    4pm <---- 5.5 PH (8 hours into light period) (due to water loss?)

10PM<--- PH 6.0 (would fluctuate the spectrum during the day and then be a little higher PH wise)

Could be nutrient burn from the loss of water and increase in PPM from nutes. Dilute your concentration and compensation for the gradual rise you get on a daily basis.