1st grow dwc 150w hps

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by BandAid, Apr 19, 2011.

1. I am working in my closet, 2' x 4' x 7'. I'm on a serious budget but decided to go for it anyway. I have a 2 week old guy in the picture, just transplanted to the hydro set up, didn't do a good job. Live and learn, the plant survived and is growing but def coug'd it. (UW humor) I also have 3 other gals in the hydro. About a week old and growing fine after a better transplant. Will add more pics soon. Would love any and all advice and interest. Thx

Attached Files:

2. Welcome to GC :wave:, can't wait to see what you have in store for us.

3. Thanks so much for the welcome!
    My 150w hps should be here Wednesday (hopefully). I'll get some pics of the set up up shortly after.

I'm so excited and impatient. But everything so far has been a blast. Got the seeds from a friend. Supposed to be a mix of white widow and train wreck... We will see

:smoke:

4. Thanks for the welcome :wave:

I'm so excited and impatient right now. My hps light should be here within a couple days .(hopefully) the seeds are from a friend who grew. Says they are demonized white widow and train wreck. I will update pics when I have the set up complete with new light.

Thanks and :smoke:

5. #5 BandAid, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2011
    So here is an update of the little gals. The littlest gal is about 3 days past germination. The next were transplanted 3 days ago and am hoping for the best. Starting to get some decent roots hitting the water! The big guy has appeared to recover from my n00b 1st transplant. I have a ph/ppm meter on the way along with ph up/down.

Thanks for looks/comments

Attached Files:

6. Looks good.:wave:
    What nutrient line are you going with?

7. Hey!
    I went with fox farm big grow and tiger bloom. You think just the two of those will be sufficient. This is for personal consumption so I have no idea how much to expect.
    That is jumping ahead of myself a bit, I have an issue, my biggest guys bottom set of leave are are yellowing pretty bad towards the edges. I added 1/8 strength big grow just to try and help the big guy. Hopefully it won't adversely affect the smaller ones.
    Any help and comments are appreciated. Thx

8. What is your PH? Did you get the meter yet?

9. Unfortunately it has not come yet, hopefully tomorrow(what a 420 it'd be) what ppm should I be looking for? Ph around 5.8 right?

10. #10 RO76, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2011
    Here is Hydro PH chart:http://www.gardenscure.com/420/attachments/hydroponics/18648d1026331961-ph-magnesium-deficiency-nutrient-chart_hydro.jpg
    5.5>5.8>6.1 I personally trying to keep my as close to 5.8 as possible. Just keep in mind that PH can go up or down few points with in less than a day.So make sure to check it everyday if you can.
    Speaking of PPMs..usually people go with 1/3 (nutes) around 300-400 and then increase it as plans gets bigger. My plants are slightly over than 2 weeks and I have my PPMs around 450...

11. Okay sweet, thanks for the great table. Happy 420 everyone :smoke:

Will update once new set up is complete

12. I'll be watching.:wave:

13. Once you get into a pattern, you'll see how your PH drifts on a daily basis. Mine always creeps up, so ill set it to 5.5/5.6 and then let it rise to about 6.1 over the course of a day or two and then fill res, lower ph, alter ppm and repeat. Don't obsess in trying to maintain 5.8 always, go for the drift!

14. The 150 w hps and ph up/down came yesterday! The plants love it, will post pics soon!

15. The plants seem to really love the light nutes and hps. Unlike my camera which doesn't, so sorry about the pics. Checked ph, was around almost to 7. So lowered it to around 5.8. And moved the plants to 2 ft away. The roots in the last pic are from the big one btw. Thanks for looks and any advice!

Attached Files:

16. Nice,plants are looking good!
    If heat is not an issue then you can lower your light. I have my 12" from the tops (600W air cooled).
    Is there any particular reason for using HPS for veg stage?

17. That's great to know, heat is really not much of an issue. Lack of resources primarily. I'm maxes on budget at this point. Hope they turn out good. All your advice is a huge help. Thanks

18. The best way to check how low you can have your light is to simply put your hand under the light and find a spot where you do not feel heat, then attach chain (you can look at the left side of my reflector to get a better idea) and try to keep end of that chain on the same level as tops of your plants.When they get bigger you can simply move your reflector up 'till "mark" is on the canopy level again.

19. I'm a new grower as well. Just make sure you take it easy on the nutes. Especially cuz some of those plants are so young. Most growers don't start nutes until the cotyledons are gone. Obviously what you're doing is working. Just don't get overzealous like I and so many other new growers have done. I'm sure you're smarter, but I had to say it.

20. :wave:
    Thanks, I was thinking about that, the nutes are extremely light right now, gonna change out the water in a few and then add a little more. Yeah these little gals are looking pretty decent. Ones leaf is looking kinda misshapen but the rest looks good. Will update with some pics soon. Loving the light!