uwill3 Octagon Scrog-off Thread

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by uwill3, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Moved the thread here, to keep everyone separate and organized.

The Plan is to have 4 or 5 clones vegging into my Octagon shaped screen, until its full...

Including:
    4 or 5 Bagseed cloned females
    2 four foot Floros, w/ 4 total aquatic bulbs... This is for vegetating. Probably 150watts each... (300 total)
    1 600w HPS w/ diamond reflector for flowering
    Approx 14 sq/ft Octagon Screen
    27gallon reservoir w/ 5" baskets and 12" airstone
    Medium: 90% Hydroton 10% Silica Stone
    Nuts: Using Micro, Grow, Bloom, & Flowering additive Ginormous
    Expected yield: 20oz
    Veg time: 10 to 12 weeks
    Flower time: 8 or 9 weeks

Here is the rough sketch plan... I am in a tight space and I wont have near the height of this diagram, plus my light will have to be at somewhat of an angle, and I will probably end up tilting my screen to accommodate for the different distance from the light... I know it sounds strange, but it is already working w/o a screen, so I know it will work, and everything will make sense in the picture to come in the next few weeks.

[​IMG]

Now that you have an Idea of that. I wanted to throw some pics on here of how today turned out...

First I had to figure how big this thing needed to be, not only for the grow area but also to make sure it would fit through my entrance... First cuts were a little too big, So I ended up going with 16" cuts on my ½" pvc.... Took 8 peaces and 8 45* elbows.

[​IMG]

Ok, This was pretty simple until it came to measuring and drilling... I ended up breaking about 5 drill bits, but I think it was mainly because of my lack of patience... Whenever I am pressed for time, I tend to do shit too fast and clumsy... Anyways I got all the holes drilled and started stitching this thing up, and sure enough 50 ft of string wasn't enough... It will be enough in the mean time, so as far as I am concerned, its done for now... I plan on using some of the leftover pvc to build a mini screen when the plants first start out, and at that point I will add the rest of the nylon string to the Octagon.

[​IMG]

This screen will be attached to 4 chains and hang from the ceiling... Very simple... This way I can make it any height the girls desire.

I had roots showing in the bubble cloner about 3 days ago, and I am excited to go check tomorrow and see how far they have come, or how many have died... :bolt:
    Hoping I can transplant them... Which means a fresh scrub down on the res, and some new bleach washed medium... Pluss $15 in distilled water :cool:.
    Oh and thought some of you were wondering how much the screen cost to build.. Well I just bought all the supplies today, With Pvc, Elbows, Glue, & String it totaled around $15 at lowes... You need a drill, sand paper (to ruff pipes before gluing) and a twist tie, which you use with a lighter to make the nylon string attach to the metal twist tie and use it as a needle and thread... thanks to whatuthinkin I think. Is that what u thinking? haha.. L8r alls.

2. #2 uwill3, Jan 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2010
    EDIT: Don't do this, My mother plant was poisoned when testing this!

Added mylar to my lid with spray adhesive... The trick is to blow on the adhesive or give it 5 seconds to dry before using yoru fingers to adhere it ... I know I'm kinda sloppy, but this also blocks light from my roots.

[​IMG]

3. Here is a picture of my best clone... Looks like I am down to 3, and one of those 3 is stunned pretty bad, so I might be down to two for now, because they are the only ones showing roots... This is why my lid only has two of the 6 holes punched into the mylar.... Can you see the flower still on top? It actually got bigger, and there are new pistils popping out of the next node down. I am hoping sense I had to take the clones after flowering started, tjhat these turn into moster plants, making the scrog fill up very rapidly.
    [​IMG]

Here is a root shot

[​IMG]

4. Looks good how far along were the plants into flowering when you took the clones?

5. I think 1½ to 2 weeks... Right when sex showed up.

6. Ok, another update... One day or root growth, on the best clone... Went from 6 hairs to 9 approx.

[​IMG]

Top view... As all the other thermostats In is out and Out is in... haha... Res was a little lower than I wanted it to be, so I switched the heat pad to Med, it was on low for a while, got warmer lately, all the snow melted :hello:

[​IMG]

7. Ok... I wanted to take some time to show everyone how I wash my used medium and sterilize it.

First I grab a Strainer, a bowl the strainer fits in, some bleach, and the medium... In this case Hydroton and Silica stone... This isn't necessary unless you have already used the medium in a grow... Rinse the hydroton, get all chunks out... Leaves, roots, rockwool, whatever the fuck you happened to get crammed into your medium.

Fill the bowl full of HOT water, the hotter the better, helps kill anything we don't want... Now put a Couple caps full of bleach, I just kinda pour a little bit in there, but that's my guesstimate ...
    [​IMG]

ok now after you have hand cleaned all the hydroton, take the strainer and dip it in the bleach water... Don't let it sit there soaking up bleach, because chlorine is what is in tap water, and that is the same as bleach, which fucks with your PH... Anyways I just dip it in there, swoosh it around with my hands, and then rinse it again... I do this 2 or 3 times.

[​IMG]

Then the final rinse I spend a few mins to get it extra clean. ALL HOT WATER

[​IMG]

Don't forget to wash your baskets in the bleach water as well, just scrub and clean as best you can... Then you get the finished product...

[​IMG]

And then this is what my Res looks like w/ them in the lid... I just finished cleaning everything up, put a new 12" oxygen stone in there, and now with less light hitting my roots, and + reflection going up to the plants, I should see some faster growth...

[​IMG]

Thanks for visiting my thread, come again :wave:

8. Nice job so far. Do you have any experience stringing tennis racquets? It looks almost exactly the same.

9. HAHAHA your not the first one to say that, although ur the first for GC!...
    No this is the first screen I have ever built, other than fixing a screen door after walking through it once.
    I thought this screen was fun to make, whatuthinkin was right, takes about 3 hours to build.

10. Tuning in man:cool:

Looking good so far:wave:

11. Cool, welcome to the grow!

12. Went to the hydro store today... I have been thinking about my hydroton cloner, and how it really isn't doing that well... Considering only 3 of my clones are living, and only 1 has a full root mass right now, I have decided to upgrade the bubble cloner a little bit, with some new neoprene inserts, and Superthrive, I have seen that all over this forum, and decided it was worth trying... I only bought a small bottle, because everyone recommended 1 drop per gallon, but the directions say for extra soft, tender plants, or constant use (that's dwc hydro for sure) daily use, or simple healthy maintenance - one or a few drops per gallon watering... or one fluid oz per 500 gallons, which is what this container is. (1fl oz. or 30ml)

Rootech Original Cloning Gel .25 oz... Make sure you use a sterilized utensil (wipe a spoon with alcohol) and just get a small amount out, this will ensure your gel lasts a long time, w/o contamination.

My clones are taking way too long, and after extensive reading, these are the best options I could come up with to reduce cloning time, for a faster harvest... I noticed that this superthrive can also boost the plants through the entire grow, not just in the cloner, I will test it on this grow.

[​IMG]

13. Clones are coming right along... Here is 6 days after the last update... Going to transplant next week sometime, the res has a small dose of nutrients, so I am going to let them drink on that for a while, which gives me time to get another res cleaned out and ready.

14. Woops forgot the pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Nice grow bro nice improvising :smoking:

16. Thanks a lot... Always good to hear positive comments.

17. No prob. bro and I mean it good job. :smoke:

18. Your clones have nice root systems man.

19. That is the best clone... The other two aren't doing so well, I am seeing some new vegetation showing on the top, but haven't got a pic of it yet, was hoping next pics would be after I transplant them into their main reservoir.

20. Sounds good bro I got some clones going one is fully rooted.