16 Multi-Strain Aeroponic Grow

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by Beauh, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Hey guys :wave:. Originally posted this on rollitup but I think I'd rather take my grow log here to be honest. Doing this grow with my brother and I'm really excited for this. Sold my car for this one, so we're really determined to do this properly.

1. No more potted hydroponic system, took up too much room and didn't hold enough plants, this time we will be growing with Aeroponics.
    2. To help speed things up we purchased a humidifier this time. This was a great buy as it keeps the humidity up high and also cools the plants down from being cooked with the 600w HPS light we have.

So, what kind of gear are we using here?

• XL Homebox grow tent, white reflective lining and black canvas exterior - $377
    • Aeroponic system that holds 16 plants (can me modified to hold 32 but we want to give the plants more space. - $355
    • 600W High preassure Sodium light (Not going to bother using the MH this time as the difference isn't worth me changing the lights over - this has been tried and tested.) - $200
    • Plant humidifier - $104
    • Fan (keeps the plants strong and cools the place down a bit) - $40

Seeds: (All feminized)

• Amnesia Haze x5 - $36
    • Jack Herer x5 - $36
    • New York City Diesel x5 - $36
    • Tutankhamun x1 (a new strain from pyramid seeds, a cross between AK-47 and Northern Lights. Should be interesting as I can't find any reviews about it.) - $10

• Nutrients (made for growing cannabis, we have a load of them for different stages) - $133

TOTAL: $1327

It should be noted that these are EURO prices converted to dollars, so you could probably get the same setup for a lot cheaper in the states.

Pictures:
    The Homebox XL - 120cm x 120cm x 200cm
    [​IMG]

Hydrokorrels - the growing medium
    [​IMG]

Germination
    [​IMG]

Humidifier/Fan
    [​IMG]

Thermometer
    [​IMG]

Thanks for reading so far, any form of input is going to be really appreciated.

2. Personally, I'd germinate the seeds in a soaked paper towel.

Fold the paper towel into quarters and soak it completely in water. Unfold the paper towel and put your seeds in there. Put the soaked paper towel in a ziploc bag and put it on your windowsill (if it's not cold!) or under a light.

Another method is just putting the seeds in a cup of water and letting them soak over night. I've had alot of success with this, usually the seeds show taproots only after 12 hours.

I'll be checking on this grow, it looks to be interesting! Good luck!

3. Welcome to my grow belialtheunholy :)

I see where you're getting at, but the paper towl method just never really appealed to me or my brother. I wasn't aware of the cup trick though so that definitely interests me and I'll remember it for next time or if any of my seeds fail to pull through in the rockwool cubes.

What's the problem with the rockwool cubes though, low success rate or something?

4. There's totally nothing wrong with it as far as I know, I've never tried it before. :)

I'd just be worried about the humidity and heat of the environment.

5. #5 Beauh, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
    It was to my knowledge after reading a few resources online that humidity is vital to successful germination and vegetation. I understand in flowering, however, when the plants get a lot bigger in size that a dehumidifier is needed due to the rapid increase in natural humidity.

I could be wrong though, some things online are incorrect and so forth.

One thing concerns me is how small the Amazon 16 is to hold 16 plants. Now I know with the space a 600w should be fine and I imagine that is why the system itself is small, but will 16 plants only work in a 'sea of green' system or will I be able to veg them for a while and still yield nicely from all 16 plants?

Just wondering SOG is my only option here.

Thanks.

6. That seems like an amazing price, one third of the number I've seen. Are these seeds from some breeder other than Soma Seeds?

7. That is correct good sir. Although each individual result varies. Humidity during flowering is best at 50%. However, my tent stays around 40% with no humidifier or dehumidifier. My plants seem to be doing just fine without a humidifier. Once a day, I'll go in there and foliage feed them with a spray bottle and that seems to do the trick.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, dude. :bolt:

8. Yeah man, Grow XXX.

9. Update for today:
    They're doing well. Some were germinating upside down and needed to be reverted the right way up. Not much else is going on, and as a past grower this stage isn't too exciting for me right now, but it's nice and reassuring to know they're making it.

Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Plants have kind of grown a bit bigger, nothing too much to note though. 5 seeds didn't make it so I'm going to have to buy some more over the weekend when I get money.

I'll try and get up some pictures tonight.

11. Where did you buy your seeds from, if I may ask?

12. #12 Beauh, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
    Grow XXX, they have a site under construction (http://www.growxxx.com/), and the Tutankhamen came from Pyramid Seeds. As far as I know it's a new strain.

13. Update:

I've got some pictures here. About 50% of the seeds made it, not to worry - I'm going to buy more on Saturday tomorrow. It means the 'older' plants will have a week longer to veg too. I'm thinking of going with some more Jack Herer since only of of those made it, or I might go with some Blueberry..or mix it up a bit. I'm not sure yet.

Here are some of the old guys looking pretty healthy as far as I can see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Picked up 5x Bubblegum seeds today, they've been put away to germinate using the paper towel method. I've never used this method before but I'm fairly confident I know what I'm doing.

If all 5 pull through I'll be delighted. Also, plants have grown yet again. Pictures tomorrow morning.

15. Update:
    They're growing well, Bubblegum are germinating and we're buying some more seeds tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm just concerned about this Jack Herer. Only one of the seeds germinated and this one doesn't seem to have grown much in the last few days.

[​IMG]

16. Personally, I do the cup of water method, but the paper towel method is just as good and just as easy. Just make sure you completely saturate the paper towel in water, fold the seeds in it, put the paper towel in a sunny spot (that's warm), and let nature do the rest!

17. #17 Beauh, Nov 8, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
    It's been 24 hrs and not even a sign of germination yet. I'm starting to worry.

18. #18 Unclenugs, Nov 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2009
    dark is good, and you do want it to be slightly warm. Good places are on top of your computer, or TV, anything that stays slightly warm all the time. Just be sure to check them often, you don't want the sprout to start growing into the paper towel. Take them out and plant them as soon as you see a little tail coming out.

I've had seeds pop as soon as 24 hours, and some have taken as long as 5-6 days using this method.

Most will sprout within 48 hours.

19. Thanks for the advice.

Just wondering now, if I was to put them in the grow tent (where temperature is on average 30 degrees celcius)..with something over them like an item of clothing to block out the light, would that be a good idea? Or too warm?

Thanks.

20. that sounds like a good place to put em' :D