Bag Seed Aerogarden Grow (First Timer)

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by lurk_master, Jan 27, 2009.

1. #1 lurk_master, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2009
    I have 5 seeds from some seeded dank that I got last month, I have germinated 2 of them so far, so I still have 3 left if I am unsucessful with these.

My Aerogarden PRO 200 will be coming tomorrow, I bought a 5-15 gallon air pump also.

I am going to buy a light timer and extra CFLs when I am ready to flower.

Planning on vegging 24/0 for 2-3 weeks depending on how well I can lst this plant.

My ambient temp is ~70(F).

I have posted a picture of my grow station.

I have taped a light blocking strip on the left cabinet door to keep my plants from getting light in darkness periods which could cause hermis.

Now onto the grow journal.

1/20 – Put 2 seeds in a wet paper towel inside a ziploc bag under my sink cabinet.

1/22 – Put Ziploc bag into black fabric bag and placed next to laptop exhaust for extra warmth to assist germination process.

1/23 – There was a red/purple-ish residue on the paper towel, in past germination experiences it was brown/green.

1/25 – Put furthest sprouted seedling in coffee mug with soil from bushes outside. Put brita water that I let sit out over night in soil.

1/26 – Put remaining seed in coffee mug with same soil, watered it with Ozarka spring water (from a jug). Both mugs are on windowsill.

1/27 – Watered both plants with spring water.

-----

I have a few questions..

Will I need extra CO2 or will just leaving the cabinet open at night be enough air?

Does that look like decent soil for growing a recently germinated seed? It was relatively moist when I dug it up, but it seems like it dries up pretty fast, I'm having to pour 1 shot glass of spring water into it every day it seems like to keep it moist.

How long should I wait on these seeds before I toss them if I did something to kill them in their infancy? 2 more weeks?

Also, is there anything else I should buy now? The only pH tester I could find didn't go below a pH of 6.5.

Attached Files:

2. #2 lurk_master, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2009
    1/28 – AeroGarden shipped, spent most of the night installing and setting everything up, seeds successfully transplanted into AG seed pods.
    1/29 – Bought additional lighting tubes (3.4k T12 tubes x2)

pictures attached.

Attached Files:

3. 1/29 – Lined cabinet with mylar
    1/29 – One seed had a dead taproot, replanted a new one in AG with cut sponges.
    1/30 – New seed has a tiny taproot.
    1/30 – First plant is growing outer 2 leaves.

Attached Files:

4. #4 lurk_master, Jan 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2009
    1/31 I added an additional light; 60w CFL (2700k 1700 lumens)

The first seedling is doing very well, its about 1" tall.

5. Alot of progress since my last update.

Both plants are looking good now, the youngest seed seems to be the fastest, healthiest grower though :cool:

Attached Files:

6. the nutrients they give you suck nuts... my mom tried popping a plant into one of the empty slots when her lettuce wasnt sprouting and it didnt grow after the first week... but... best of luck to you...

7. Thanks man,

But, you shouldn't give the plants AG nutrients before they are 2 weeks old.

At two weeks you can start easing them into nutes.

I am running on pure water right now, waiting before I add any nutes.

will post another update sunday with pics. =]

Also.. I have ~6" long root structures on each plant with lots of nice side roots forming too.

8. 2/8 - Plants looking sad, and appear to be suffering from moisture stress.
    2/9 - Switched to 18/6 lighting and introduced nutrients to res.
    2/10 - Seed #4 looks like its recovering very well, Seed #1, not so much.

Cleaned out my res and added first batch of nutes a few days ago (half strength)

Attached Files:

9. Okay so its been a while since I last updated.

Putting these plants into flower friday, here are some pics from earlier this week, and some from even before that..

Plants now have foxfarm nutrients, and they seem to love them.

Attached Files:

10. Hey dude ish liooks nice. I am going to get one of those aerogardens myself and try it out. I dont need much of a yield. Just enuff to supoprt me hhaha. I will be watching your grow, to get the best info from yah. I am a noobie on this. but have done some soils back in th day. Keep me posted with pics I think this is a great site.

11. Well, OG fast plant got stem rot and died.

Seed #4 ended up being a male...

Here are some pics, this grow is done though.. :(

Attached Files: