Quick Dry/Cure CFL UVB style

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by jcj77d, Nov 16, 2008.

1. #1 jcj77d, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2008
    This "Quick Dry/Curing" method has had near full potentcy nugs in about an hour.
    (This technique won't work with unflushed non-organically grown pot.)

All you need:
    Spiral daylight spectrum (cool 5700k) CFL lamp, or a 10.0 UVB CFL of around 25-29 watts
    (5700k the color temperature is important to provide UVB light to increase potency)

Locate and cut a fresh nug off your almost mature plant in the dark.
    Trim it, and de-stem. Chop it into one main nug and collect a few smaller budlets. These budlets can be dried in around 15 mins.

Put your shades on (very important, b/c UVB light is bad for the eyes!) and toss'em (the budlets and nug) into the CFL (inside so they rest on the warm illuminated glass tubing). If you carefully tip lamp sideways it's easier to rest nugs inside on the light.
    Small budlets should take 15-30 mins to dry and cure this way.
    Nugs around the size of a dried gram should dry and cure in about 1 hour. Any longer and things start to get crispy.
    SUPERVISE your CFL curing, rotate your nugs. You'll watch them rapidly shrink, dry and cure.

Calling it curing because the higher kelvin temperature CFL emits UVB light and heat that converts active ingerdents into THC. As far as curing for taste and reduced chlorophyll this method may not work as well as drying and curing in the dark, over time, it's intended to create early harvest smoke that will get you as high as fully cured. You'll never microwave again.

I wouldn't recomend doing this from a plant that hasn't at least started being flushed. I also wouldn't recommend using any non-organically grown bud.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's ok if you get some leafs, trichromes, crystylazation on your CFL. I would suggest letting the bud directly touch the illuminated CFL glass without anything block the lightwaves with provide the "curing" effect. Similar to the potency increase of properly Finishing, drying and curing.

[​IMG]
    Obviously there is some difference in quality etc here. It's sparks up great is all i'm saying, and has the type of potentcy medicinally sought after. It's an art, don't get me wrong, but a few properly CFL cured nuggets will get you through a flushing period.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPcpt3Be28o"]YouTube - THC, UVB and Me[/ame]

2. I must say, you are constant source of thought provoking and insightful information.

Thank you for this!

:bongin: ~Experimentalist

3. thanks, this is more of a way to sample buds @ dif stages to determine when u want to harvest w/o going by the trichs or hairs, but by the type of high u get.

4. thank you....

+ rep!

5. haha i try'd this today and its actually a really good way to speed dry bud:hello:

6. Hows it on taste?

:bongin: ~Experimentalist

7. it was a lil harsh but wasnt bad

8. Hmm this idea is definitely effective, hoever I have a question...

Light and heat break down THC, so why dry them with both light and heat?

9. very cool, never heard of this method before. sounds more effective than sticking it behind the tv

doesn't every method to quick dry buds for sampling involve heat and/or light?

10. ahhh do i hear another sticky for you? hahaha dude i cant believe i came across this, im not so sure that i may try it bc i can really only spare one nug but check out my grow in my signiture i just cut a nug off tonight and wanted to smoke it but i have a feeling im too clumsy to actually do it your way :( Dosent the light get too hot?

11. what it i put my shit next to my hps? lol

12. Well, I'm trying it with a small nug. I'm fine with it not getting me high but I don't wanna end up with a headache on sat night.. I'll update in a few :hello::hello:

13. id be worried that the HPS is too hot

in the middle of a uv cfl really does work though. smoke tastes a little harsh, but you can easily get a couple of bowls within an hour total dry time. and, if the bud can stone you, it will.

14. What about a 6400k CFL? I may give this a try soon, I hate microwaving sample nugs

15. I should have added that ive also done a quick dry in the middle of a 42w 2700k bulb.

both the 26w uvb and 42w red cfl worked well enough, though the 42w seems to have a bit of resin left inside it, whereas I dont think any melted in the 26w

16. #16 pomangro, May 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2009
    I used a 13 watt, 6500k cfl today and it worked great.

edit-ever since learning this i have smoked way too much of my harvest!
    BEWARE

17. Hell yeah this worked nicely, I used a 20w 2700k cfl, it was cracker dry in half an hour. Smoked pretty well too!

18. Works fine for me - the bud seems a bit green, but it's also only an hour...

BTW - an hour for me is too long... Keep a close eye on it, depending on bud/bulb size it could be finished as quick as 30 minutes or so it seems.

19. btw I was very careful to cut every single leaf no matter how tiny, hoping to eliminate as much chlorophyll as possible.. I dunno if it helps but no headaches and I'm sensitive to it :hello::hello::hello:

20. This really needs to be stuck.