Water Curing Fresh

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by bmstation, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Water Curing Fresh Bud
    Guide/Journal
    This is a very comprehensive guide to water curing chronic. Not only am I goin to guide you completely thu the water curing proses ,I am going to water cure with the guide posting journal post day by day. I hope you enjoy the journal if you already know how to water and I hope you learn all you need if you don't. Most of all Have Fun.

image-789433403.jpg

image-251255444.jpg

Checklist:
    1.Water(preferably purified ,filtered ,distilled ,clean.) you get the point. Majority says to use a 4:1 or 5:1 ratio of bud to water. Honestly tho I use a quart of water for anywhere from 5 to 15 grams of wet plant mater and it works fine for me. But if you want to get technical and do the 4:1 ratio ,go for it.

2. 1 quart Mason Jar (anything works jut clean it)

3. Shield ,something to keep the buds submerged. I use a little piece I cut of a 2-liter. Ive heard of people using golf balls ,screens ,baggies ,pantyhose ,really anything that keeps the buds from immersing.

4. Last but definitely not least your cannabis. Ranging from dry old nasty schwag to the loudest of kind bud. You can even use clippings.

The pictures should be pretty self explainitory ;however, if not I wil list the steps by number below.

image-1883565707.jpg

Step 1- Get your jar.
    Step 2- Fill your jar with water.
    Step 3- Place plant material in the water
    Step 4- Submerse shield in jar forcing the cannabis underwater. Screw lid on.
    After doing the steps change the water every 24 hours for four to seven days. The longer you cure it the more plant matter and outlet contaminants are removed ;however, curing to long results in loss in yield and taste.
    When the days are up and you want to dry your cured buds just remove them from the water and dry with your preference of drying method. Just as if you are regularly drying bud. Since the bud were water cured it will take less time to actually dry out.(you would naturally think the opposite but when you think about it it's simple. Yes there is a lot of water in your buds but remember the plant matter is removed so air can flow more freely allowing your buds to dry quicker)
    Any questions please ask. I will update photos and results daily. So don't forget to subscribe.

2. This would work even thought its cut off the branch to early its not crispy or nothing its soft & gooy

3. Yea it will in theory work. The water should preserve the bud. As long as you keep the bud under the water. I would research a tad about water curing to see if it's for you but I would recommend it.

4. Good looking!

5. Anyone try this? This is the first time I've ever really heard of water curing. Perfect timing too - I've just the conditions to experiment , could you please expand on why you opt to this method over all the others- pros+cons? Thanks in advance and cheers !!

6. Well honestly I did a water cure method this time just to post this journal. Water curing is well known for its abilility to separate all the "stuff you dont want in your bud" without losing thc potency. THC is not water-soluble so the potency of teh bud is not harmed what so ever. The thrichs will not break of into the water(and no the water is not worth keeping to make some kind of experiment from. It just does not contain enough "anything" to give you good result.) Water Curing is safe and simple. If you have a couple extra buds ,go for it. Hell you can even use dry buds to bring em back to life. In short water-curing is used to get rid of any contaimenants from your precious buds or plant matter.
    Pros
    1.Alot of poeple water cure to bring their buds back to life so to speak. For example if you have a crude harsh tasting bud when you water cure ,the smoke with be very smooth :however, it has more of an earthy taste.
    2.Cannabutter made with water cured bud has a much better taste and signifcantly increses potentcy of the canna-butter
    3.Water Curing also allows you to feed your plant nutes untill the day of clipping. Water cure will draw those nutes out. Allowing for a larger harvest.
    4.Water curing could perhaps be the quickest way to cure bud that I know of. You put the bud in water then "poof" five-seven days later you have cured bud that will only take a couple days to accually dry out.
    5. As I said previously water curing isnt only for fresh harvest you can bring dry brittle nast bud back to like with it. Just think of have some schwag and thinking to your self "Damn ,I wish there was a way to make this smoke more smooth" Well, this it it that is what water curing is for. Same steps as fresh bud.
    6. If your have mites or bugs the water curing prosscess will cleanse you plant matter of that as well.
    Cons
    1.Water Curing changes the color of your final product. The buds will be darker. Some people dont like this if they are showing it off or trying to make profit from the bud. Because ya know poeple think if it looks good it smokes god. (However we at grasscity are smarter than that.)
    2.Water Curing will result in less weight at the end of the curing cycle. For ex. (10g air dry= round 3gs) while (10gs water cured= round 2.3-2.5gs) But remeber its only the weight of the plant matter and "toxins" that you are losing weight in. You still have all the chems in the bud that get you "high".
    Why people dont water Cure
    1.Well alot people would never dream of putting there prescious buds in water. since the point is really to remove moisture. I think the thought just scares people. Not to say I wasnt reluctant at first. I used to be scared of mold forming or the buds just degrading in the water. but when i tried it for myself I enjoy alittle water curing now and then.
    2.Basiclly the main reason people dont choose water curing is because of the loss of appeal of the buds.

Don't Forget To Reply
    Please Ask Questions I have given a vague desription of water curing so question could be ask and learned through the process of water curing.

7. Hey man now if a perfect time to follow along with the water cure. In five days you can see the result. Or if you want you should go ahead a water cure with the journal. Then it would be kinda like your not on your own. You can follow along with the thread journal to make sure your cure goes well.

8. . •Day-2•
    24 hours into grow journal. Weight will be taken at 48hrs. I just don't want to disturb the bud on its first day.

image-344882825.jpg

Notice the bud is swollen.

image-3415191730.jpg

Thanks. Like if you enjoy.

9. image-1686455528.jpg

image-3376324716.jpg

I didn't have any distilled left over and my tap water has been so acidic lately I figured I'd try propel water (my personal favorite type of drinking water, yes w berry flavoring;). I checked the label to make sure it's all natural as far as flavoring is concerned by propel company, this is the only difference I believe as far as method, but as I read one is suppose to swap water every 24 so I figured, considering the theory behind the cure is to get all that shit you don't want Imside your weed - out, I could always change the water back to distilled and leech the propel outta the nugs. (Assuming using the propel water will alter results in any neg. fashion) cheers!

10. Good idea for a journal! :hello:

Just remember that water curing is intended as a last resort for improperly grown/flushed buds, and it's not something you would want to do for high quality flowers if you're growing for flavor and potency.

You're losing a LOT of your terpene content (you know, the stuff that makes your weed smell and taste good!), terpenes can much more easily seep from the glands and become free-floating in water than cannabinoids, and that aside, you're losing a greater number of entire trichomes that break free during the water exchange.
    You are also losing natural plant sugars, enzymes and elements that break down and allow for a good, natural cure once it's jarred, these are responsible for preventing your smoke from going stale even during proper storage, you can try to mist various sugars/molasses, similar to what they do when curing/aging and enhancing some tobacco leaves, but the product you end up with will never compare to the natural plant.

Cannabis provides many other medicinal and recreational phytochemicals besides cannabinoids (there are over 80 'known' cannabinoids, as well!), for instance there are over 120 unique and much more fragile and volatile terpenes in cannabis, many of which have analgesic, sedative, euphoric, anti-cancer/anti-mutagenic, anti-inflammatory, and other medicinal benefits all their own!
    They also regulate the experience provided by your cannabinoids, they promote the cell penetration of the surrounding chemicals (your 'real' potency!), and they increase the speed at which cannabinoids can cross the blood brain barrier, providing stronger sensations from fewer cannabinoids.

To remove, or compromise your terpene content more than necessary, renders the bud much less effective.

Again, it's a good last resort if there's something wrong with your buds, or if you can't handle high-potency strains and you're looking for a quick all-day smoke without some of the chlorophyll, but it will hurt your potency, your flavor, and of course your overall yield.
    It can't be compared to properly grown, flushed and cured cannabis. If the same plant is treated both ways, they will provide remarkably different results, in dramatic favor of the portion that was slowly dried, cured to taste, and in general treated properly. :)

Keep in mind that if you really don't want all that inert/unnecessary plant matter, and if that's actually your goal, you can always perform a quick extraction and make a clean concentrate! :yay:

It's faster than water curing, it's more effective at removing unnecessary matter if something really went wrong but you can't bear to just chuck the plant, and you'll be left without even the fiber/cellulose and calcium and trace other elements that comprise the structure of the plant, when you extract good, aromatic, and concentrated hash oil :)

That's the stuff you're looking for, and unfortunately it's a lot of what you sacrifice when you water cure! :eek:

11. thought water curing is mostly for if you want speedier dry times.
    any other pros?

12. It's a technique used most often by people such as farmers or dealers, who don't plan to use much if any of that particular crop themselves, it is usually applied to purge or flush unwanted chemicals and salts due either to a premature harvest, or to an insect, mold or other pathogen issue that required chemical (or even organic, but smelly) treatment too close to harvest.
    Ideally it shouldn't be used just to break down chlorophyll and speed a cure if that is the only goal, where chlorophyll already breaks down fairly quickly starting towards the end of a proper dry, and continues in the jars when properly cured.

A lot of brick weed is (if you're lucky :p ) soaked, or has had water sprayed through it not just before the harvest, like some gardeners do, but during the drying process at least once or twice to compensate for poor growth techniques, chemicals, and to reduce initial chlorophyll for a fast sale, it is usually soaked or sprayed once just after harvest after being set in piles on top of raised wooden slats, and sometimes it is sprayed again mid-way through drying, before being re-hung or arranged on another dry surface.

If you're lucky, they only use water.... but often times, before the final soak, they run solvents through the crop over plastic sheets to capture hash oils, then water (again, if you're lucky) to aid in purging the solvents from the weed, that they still plan to sell! :eek:

13. [quote name='"BadKittySmiles"']

It's a technique used most often by people such as farmers or dealers, who don't plan to use much if any of that particular crop themselves, it is usually applied to purge or flush unwanted chemicals and salts due either to a premature harvest, or to an insect, mold or other pathogen issue that required chemical (or even organic, but smelly) treatment too close to harvest.
    Ideally it shouldn't be used just to break down chlorophyll and speed a cure if that is the only goal, where chlorophyll already breaks down fairly quickly starting towards the end of a proper dry, and continues in the jars when properly cured.

A lot of brick weed is (if you're lucky :p ) soaked, or has had water sprayed through it not just before the harvest, like some gardeners do, but during the drying process at least once or twice to compensate for poor growth techniques, chemicals, and to reduce initial chlorophyll for a fast sale, it is usually soaked or sprayed once just after harvest after being set in piles on top of raised wooden slats, and sometimes it is sprayed again mid-way through drying, before being re-hung or arranged on another dry surface.

If you're lucky, they only use water.... but often times, before the final soak, they run solvents through the crop over plastic sheets to capture hash oils, then water (again, if you're lucky) to aid in purging the solvents from the weed, that they still plan to sell! :eek:[/quote]

Whoa, since when is it appropriate to stereotype information? Every point you hit on is followed with an obvious smear comment on the "farmer" who steeps so low as to "...", With words like "due to premature or unhealthy situational harvests", is this truly encouringing new information about the process itself, which by the sound of it seems like an unlikely, beneath you and the average "pro" community that your post suggests you lead. I myself prefer an open mind, and open topics but not passive aggressive smearing like the text between the quotes above. Sry, don't mean to bite your head off, so in advance I suspect I'd better clear that up as well. Cheers

14. What are you talking about, exactly... and where did this come from, why so moody?? :p

Those are just some simple facts, on why most people who water cure, do it... water curing is not a process that is usually used for (nor does it produce) high quality bud, it's generally used to remove excessive salt content or contamination, and to rush the elimination of chlorophyll.
    *Some*, not all, but *some* dealers and growers, sell and produce lower quality product and go so far as to outright rip people off by trying to cleanse dangerously contaminated herb, and these are scenarios when water curing is often used.

Anyone who finds this hard to believe, has a somewhat naive outlook! :eek:

I will clarify and say that I'm not saying you should never even experiment with a small portion of your crop; this is a caution or a warning, so a grower, medical patient or a general member of the forum doesn't ruin his crop or purchase, by becoming confused, and thinking this may improve the medicinal value of his already-decent meds or flowers, when it will actually reduce it!

It would be irresponsible NOT to give such a caution! :hello:

So cheer up, people get confused and turned around on the net all the time, it's nothing to get stressed out over! :smoke:

15. [quote name='"BadKittySmiles"']

What are you talking about, exactly... and where did this come from, why so moody?? :p

Those are just some simple facts, on why most people who water cure, do it... water curing is not a process that is usually used for (nor does it produce) high quality bud, it's generally used to remove excessive salt content or contamination, and to rush the elimination of chlorophyll.
    *Some*, not all, but *some* dealers and growers, sell and produce lower quality product and go so far as to outright rip people off by trying to cleanse dangerously contaminated herb, and these are scenarios when water curing is often used.

Anyone who finds this hard to believe, has a somewhat naive outlook! :eek:

I will clarify and say that I'm not saying you should never even experiment with a small portion of your crop; this is a caution or a warning, so a grower, medical patient or a general member of the forum doesn't ruin his crop or purchase, by becoming confused, and thinking this may improve the medicinal value of his already-decent meds or flowers, when it will actually reduce it!

It would be irresponsible NOT to give such a caution! :hello:

So cheer up, people get confused and turned around on the net all the time, it's nothing to get stressed out over! :smoke:[/quote]

Well, I'm happy, and again I didn't mean to jump the gun but, if you remove all the outside, social inferences and the connection between a certain group of cultivators who are in some way subpar being the 99% of water curers. I'm just sticking up for the method, a non biased look on how-to's is what all forums (in a perfect world) are... Or should be. Social aspects, quality of farmer, even quality of weed should take backseat to the ultimate point- water curing. Who knows, maybe there's some genojs out there just waiting for a thread like this to make some curing kinda bulb go off, who ends up revolutionizing the "Normal, correct, professional" way, who knows? I'm not one to speak on the chances of it happening, nor am I for this same person - coming into a thread like this, filled with people who have already made up there minds about it, leaving or judging a book by its "commenters" for lack of a better word.

By no means did I mean to try to call you out or start anything between us, you'll probably find In the end we've much more in common and yea, I guess I should ease back - this also being my first post, first Impression Is forever an enemy of mine br0, cheers.

-pdoxpulse, m.d. A

16. Water Curing isn't just used as a "last resort" technique. Water Curing allows a quick cure as well as stripping all contaminants. This allows a much smoother hit. Basically if you like kif you will like water cure. Trichs don't break off nor do they get seperated at all. But for someone who hasn't tried it I can see how you would be a skeptic.

17. [quote name='"paradoxpulse"']

I didn't have any distilled left over and my tap water has been so acidic lately I figured I'd try propel water (my personal favorite type of drinking water, yes w berry flavoring;). I checked the label to make sure it's all natural as far as flavoring is concerned by propel company, this is the only difference I believe as far as method, but as I read one is suppose to swap water every 24 so I figured, considering the theory behind the cure is to get all that shit you don't want Imside your weed - out, I could always change the water back to distilled and leech the propel outta the nugs. (Assuming using the propel water will alter results in any neg. fashion) cheers![/quote]

Cool bro. I'm glad your doin this. The flavor water is a perfect add to this. I can't wait how that turns out.
    I would def use distilled water in the end days because in my theory the sugars and flavor in the water may make the end result harsh.
    . Good luck man. Stay tuned. Tonight I add the wet weight to the thread

18. I'd be surprised if BKS hasn't done a "water cure" previously. I'm sure BKS will follow up and clarify himself, but i'll atleast say that he knows his stuff. He'll tell you his story, but i'll just say that BKS has been around the community for a while, has traveled to numerous different countries and has been apart of a bunch of different studies. You can learn plenty of stuff from BKS, don't be so hard to deal with when someones just generally trying to help your thread. I believe thrich's could get seperated, as they tend to fall off during bubble extractions (mostly due to the cold temperature and agitation). I personally have never done water cures, but I have seen some final products at my local place. The appearance does turn you off, i'll say that, but hey, it's all personal opinion!

19. I did some research on this method, I personally want taste and smell from my smoke so this is not for me.

Sent from my ADR6400L using GC Forum