The new BHO discussion thread

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by SIRSOG, Feb 13, 2012.

1. #1 SIRSOG, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2012
    Ok, since there is a hash oil thread (for pictures) in stash jar which has recently become a heavily oriented BHO discussion, i am creating this so we can get that thread back on track

We all know there are many methods to making BHO, each has its ups and downs.... but lets keep in mind, while everyone may not use YOUR method, it may not be the best, and very likely has room to improve, so lets not criticize people who use a different method, or constructively criticize your own, now of course if they disrespect you, or your method because they do not use it, that is different, report the post, and it will be handled, or PM me....

ALSO keep in mind this is BHO discussion, not qwiso, not CO2 extractions, not ethanol, not cold water, not banana magic potato gun extractions (yea i went there) BHO... because it seems to have a huge following and needs its own little niche to be in......

Let the posting begin

Footnote: If this thread becomes an argument about anything whatsoever outside of friendly arguments based on methods (not flaming methods, or attacking people using different methods) it will be deleted

Example of friendly argument about methods "well i see you are doing x, if you do y, this will happen and it may increase your potency/yeild

Example of something not allowed "well you clearly do not know shit, you are doing y, which is what noobs do because they dont know anything, you should be doing y, but because you are an idiot you are clearly not doing it"

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Yes! Good to see.

• Creative Creative x 1
  3. sweet thread cant wait to learn some more about BHO'ing

4. does anyone out there have a definitive answer on this: What variables contribute to bho turning to wax?

i tuned an eigth of outdoor trainwreck into beautiful wax a few weeks ago. it would break apart in chunks and change color when mixed around.

the last run i did was with the same ammount and same herb(same harvest) and it did not want to wax up at all. its like an amber putty almost, still pretty sticky

so what variables play into this?

5. So iv made BHO a few Times with the same weed and sometimes it came out amber glass and other times it did not. Any comments? Thanks

6. good question. I've never made bho with the same type of bud, so I can't say if changing the strain has any effect. However, there are three things I've discovered that affect final product:

-purge temp
    -purge time
    -remaining butane/impurites

I haven't run enough bho to see how purge temp/time come into play, but I believe that remaining butane and impurities (plant waxes, external contaminants) generally contributes to a wax-like texture. Be great to hear from a more experienced hasher.

7. I find that it's what you put in you get out. Dont grind up your buds. The first run should be nice. There is nothing you can do about a second run. Quality is not there. I grind up my second run and it usually is more oily. The same goes with shake. If it looks greenish your using bunk to start.

8. Some strains auto butter on you. Where as other strains will go strait to shatter. Here are two differing opinions. I think it would be good to have this on the first page as it can bring up a lot of good discussion.

Why bho budders up???

Is buddering a good thing?

Hope these helped. They certainly helped me. And shows you how complex it all actually is. It's not just a, oh your oil turned to butter because of x, and you need to do y to keep it an oil.

9. Not much. Did you read that whole first quote. It's just a bunch of " I think" and "seems like" and " to me" and " stands to reason". I don't think one of those assumptions were fact based. not saying to know more but I don't care who you are if you only assume then you know nothing. It's all great but just run some for yourself and experiment a bit. it's like growing. You have to find what works for you.

10. i agree with that 2nd huuuge quote i must say, i made some bho and turned it into budder .. it acaully became basily blonde hash and i took a dab and passed the fuck out :smoke:... the next day i wake up and go to take another and realize it doesant smell as strong and im pre sure i took a few more dabs instead of just 1 so yes i agree with that dude that it does loose some cannabonoids alot faster then stable oil , i think because since budder is less dense in a dif form air can acess the inner parts alot easier then say stable oil , wax, or shatter.. idk just some high thinking i love bho anyway loll

11. It's all speculation man...we have no tests that we can do so we have to try and figure it out through trial and error. Whats with the hate? Take the information for what it is, an opinion. Chill out dude. Just because somebody posts something doesn't mean you have to believe it. Let's try to keep this thread informative and not just a bunch of "ohh that's not true, that's just a bunch of assumptions..." yeah well at least they are trying to figure out why shit happens.

Funny thing is...because I posted those...apparently to you, I believe everything they say. Get out of here if your just going to troll.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Like I said in op, if this becomes an argument its getting deleted guys

• Like Like x 1
  13. [quote name='"washedmothafuka"']

It's all speculation man...we have no tests that we can do so we have to try and figure it out through trial and error. Whats with the hate? Take the information for what it is, an opinion. Chill out dude. Just because somebody posts something doesn't mean you have to believe it. Let's try to keep this thread informative and not just a bunch of "ohh that's not true, that's just a bunch of assumptions..." yeah well at least they are trying to figure out why shit happens.

Funny thing is...because I posted those...apparently to you, I believe everything they say. Get out of here if your just going to troll.[/quote]

It is chill dude. It is speculation just read it stop being so negative. It's just a comment. Relax

14. Right but as of now all we can do is speculate. These guys have done a fair share of runs so I would assume there speculations are from personal experience. It's all good Sirsog, just having a chat.

15. Ive done about 50 or so runs. It took me about a dozen before I figured out how to purge and keep it that consistency I like. That's why I said everyone has to figure it out for themselves. I have no greakin idea if those have ever ran any bho and I take people's advice with a grain of salt. That second long quite sounds pretty close like that dude actually tried it. The first quote just reads like bunk. Sound like a duck and walks like a duck

• Like Like x 1
  16. That's why I posted them both, so people could read them both and then decide for themselves. I feel there is some truth in both, just have to pick through the bias.

Since this is a bho discussion. Would you mind taking the time to explain what method you use to making your end product?

Maybe I could try your method out with some of this same trim, and then compare it to my method and maybe find the positives and negatives to both. Idk...what I've noticed is people find one way to make something and they stick to that because it works for them. But I guess I'm trying to branch out and try some different methods. I love the product I make, but....there's always some room for improvement ay?

17. Honestly I think it's about the temp of your water. I'm pretty sure my way is the same as a bunch. Shoot in a Pyrex. Once you start to purge you need to keep the water at steady temp. So either change it OFTEN or I use a warming plate to keep it at temp while I purge. Then I vacuum. I think a lot get the water too hit then it cools way down after shooting the tane. Once I figured out to keep an even steady water temp I started getting consistency.

18. Even water temp works better? What are the positives?

19. Can you explain that more Ace? You're saying that by having a varying temperature while purging (say the water varies between 90 F and 130 F) it will in turn effect the final product? I know too much or too little heat can effect it...but I didn't know that the slight variations in temperatures during purging could in fact effect the end product?