why are my buds so small?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by johnyossarian, Oct 10, 2011.

1. I am nearing the end, finally!! today i saw my first amber, maybe two trichs out of 20. But i have seen pictures with these massive buds and mine just look much skinnier and disappointing compare to some of the pictures i have seen. I am not really too disappointed since this is my first time and, live and learn. But i just want to know what i could have done differently. I never trimmed them at all, could that have been the problem? I think nutes were good. the weather has been a little unpredictable and it spent a few too many hours in the cold i think. but nothing to sever. The last couple of days have been unseasonably hot (up to 28 Celsius) which is amazingly hot for October where i live and that has helped quite a bit i believe. Also on some of the colder nights i brought her inside which screwed up the lighting schedule a bit, but i know that was preferable to staying outside in the cold (as my basil, thyme and cilantro will tell you). Anyway tell me what you think

Attached Files:

2. looks kinda like my soil grown herb, just taller...

3. man same here my plants both have skinny ass buds and there still getting tons of amber trichs and i was wondering if i just keep it alive longer to achieve bigger buds? or should i chop anyway?
    thx GC im baked as fuck
    btw its gettin cold at night..already survived 1st frost..

4. Maybe they aren't receiving enough sun light? Maybe you started them too late?

5. My winter grow looked like that; its probably a combination of the cold (locks out nutrients and slows enzymes) and not optimal amounts of sun. Plant a bit earlier next season and see if your buds don't fill out better.

6. I was thinking maybe they are shaded for too much of the day and not getting enough light to produce fat buds.

7. It was planted very early and got quite big. My back yard is north facing so during the growth stage it got lots of light. about 12-14 hours of direct sunlight. However once fall came and the sun does not go as high it was shaded most of the day, only about 3 hours of direct sunlight for the last 4 or 5 weeks. There was not much i could about it, short of putting it on my front lawn and subsequently getting charged, i was hoping it recieved enough light and energy during the growth phase.

Is there anything i can do at this point? what if i brought inside and put it under a light?

what would happen if i put it under a light and switched it back in to the growth phase? would that ruin it? or could i get more buds this way? has anyone ever done this?

8. You might be able to bring it inside under a light, if it's not too late. But I would definitely say 4 hours of direct light is nowhere near enough to get the bigger buds.

9. Sucks man; nothing to be avoided other than veging it earlier indoors and forcing it into flowering so it flowers during those peak sunlight hours (24
    hours of light, brought outside will shock most plants into a short burst of flowering, sometimes even with greater than 12 hours of daytime, in my experience.) Once in flowering, take special care to limit number of hours of light; either take a tarp off in the morning so theres a 12 hour cycle tapering into darkness naturally, or put a tarp on at night allowing it to wake to natural morning sun.

You can bring it inside under a light if you keep the light cycle in flowering, 12/12, but I'd only do this if you have an HID or (maybe) tons of CFLs strung around and above the plant; I dunno how fluoro tubes/LEDs are but I'd think those 3 hours of direct sunlight do more than fluoros/LEDs for flowering; you could run a combination of indoor light to outdoor light to indoor, kept at 12 total hours of light, but I dunno if the greater yield would be worth all that effort.

If you switch it into growth phase, the plant stops making new buds and starts rapidly maturing them; this is not exactly the maturation you want, as its not the same as towards the end of flowering. Rather, the plant is gearing itself for vege stage, and soon after being back into vege the buds all shoot outwards becoming very elongated and stemmy, all being new growth heads. Any buds that don't grow outwards like this brown off and die. You'd most likely ruin it, imo.

10. Had the same problem man, had ample amounts of sunlight during veg. She grew as tall as me in like a month in a half, needless to say I was ecstatic! Well come flowering time boy was I disappointed. I ended up with buds that were completely aired out, not even close to what you have...I'm talking like straight leaves lol.

Enjoy what ya got, learn from your mistakes, make it that much better next year!

11. I too have smaller buds this year. I'm growing a sativa, last year it was indica and the buds were a lot fatter, but I thought it was just the strain. Now I'm thinking that I should clip off all the little buds that are growing low and inside. My question is should I do this trim in the morn or eve?

12. Morning; you want the heat of the day to seal the wounds. Do it around noon, after the sun has come up and heated up the air/earth/everything for a bit.