Acetone oil extraction

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by thejuggla1, Aug 23, 2011.

1. I have done a few butane extractions and was looking up Acetone extraction methods as apposed to butane due to massive difference in price as well, not having to deal with a compressed gas makes thing easier as well.

I was looking to try Acetone, it looks pretty much the same method as butane, from what I understand you just soak your product in it for a few minutes then dump it through a coffee filter into a glass bowl and wait for it to evaporate? What is a "safe" time period to wait for it to evaporate before smoking? Where to get 100% pure Acetone?

I've also read things like putting the Acetone in the freezer(because it has a really low freeze point it won't freeze) and it would extract the THC more purely, and should be almost/as pure as doing butane. As well I was having a look through the oil sticky, said something about freezing the weed as well? Should I grind my weed to powder?

I also saw in the oil sticky to use a heating pan, but I guess that's if you make it with alcohol? I never heated anything up or froze anything when doing the butane honey extractor, and I definitely don't want to be using anything hot or flames with Acetone involved either.

Any help appreciated.

2. Ok well I've done it. Make Sure you have 100% acetone. Acetone strips a lot more of the Green color from the plant matter resulting in darker color. I wouldn't recommend grinding your buds. Acetone has a low boiling point so purging the solvent can happen alot faster then a normal bho extraction. In my runs it has always turned out to be a dark green hash oil.

As for the freezer thing, never heard of it but maybe give it a try.

Oh btw I was doing quick 40 second washes, I wouldn't let it sit for minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Oh wow, looks like a great idea. Defiantly gonna try that soon.

4. Alright is idea of how to make it correct?

Let buds sit in Acetone for 45 seconds then drain through coffee filter into glass container? Let sit for how long?

Should the bud be ran through more than once?

5. #6 SanDiegoStonerz, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2011
    Put the buds/trim in a mason jar, add the acetone, shake vigorously for 40 seconds, then pour through filters to strain.

Up to you if you wanna do multiple runs. If you have the acetone you might as well.

Strain into a large Pyrex dish and purge it how ever you like. (heating plate, hot water, fresh air, fan dry). Make sure you do the extraction outside. Wear mask and gloves as acetone isn't one to be fucked with

6. Whats a safe air dry time before smoking?

7. I would say 24 hours to 48 hrs. It will probably be smokable after just a few hours, but the longer the better.

8. #9 thejuggla1, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2011
    I went to a few major stores(Home Depot, Canadian Tire, Lordco) all they had was this brand

http://p0.flyerland.ca/images/products/10442000/10442069_image.jpg

I read the labels it didn't say anything about there being additives but again it didn't say anything about it being pure, is this a pure brand? Didn't buy it, don't want to use something that isn't pure and end up sick/dead/long term effects.

I was a little disappointed, the home depot site advertised a 100% pure acetone in a blue container, but all they had was that.

Edit: Found this on walmart
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Onyx-Prof...m-Strength-100-Pure-Acetone-16-fl-oz/11047134

Guess I'll check for that when I head back out.

Oh after looking up on home depot site I noticed you can ask questions about products, someone had already asked if the product was 100% and was confirmed yes.

Link http://answers.homedepot.ca/answers/1998/product/912203/questions.htm

9. Hit up your local paint store.

10. Is there a reason to only let is soak for 40 seconds vs minutes or overnight?

11. #12 SanDiegoStonerz, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Not quite sure.. I will ask around.

12. I did a trial run with having the acetone in the freezer before hand. Turned out just like butane, nice and clean no dark color till you mass it up then its kinda browny gold color, same as butane.

I over did it on the acetone, took 2 days to evaporate. It was kinda hard to hold the filter I dropped a few buds into it but picked them out. I'd recommend making some "mount" for the coffee filter so you don't have to hold it.

I had kept the buds because the jar I used to shake them up in was leaking and I don't think I got as much as I could of out of them. I put the buds in the bag and at the bottom of the bag is a lot of green liquid, should I filter this greeny acetone through on my second run of these buds?

13. Cant find much on acetone extraction, Is there anymore info on this?

14. Don't use a coffe filter ....use a metal strainer like one of them big ones that you put macoroni in to drain out the water ....don't worry all the oils go into the dish bellow it then poor more acetone over the leaves in the strainer .....then you'll have weed that don't get no one high and oils that are so powerfull you'll be trippin. Remember though before you do this you need the acetone in a jar with the weed and shake it a little here and there , make sure there's no plasic or shaken on the plastic top that may get some other junk from the jar lid in your stuff but 24 hours jiggling and shaking a little here and there breaks up the oils. It's so easy , A pirex cooking dish is good to put it in and acetone evaporates fast. you can even smoke it on foil .....mix 1/8th of weed in the oils and when you smoke watch out you don't feel nothing like you didn't get a hit but it's wacked i ate 2 footlong sub sandwiches ....cleanest smoothest high. Probably would make good brownies with the pure oils mixed in the caking

15. so you all know ....acetone evaporates 100% .....but don't smoke nothing with it in it .....acetone is very dangerous ....you can smell it though if its in the stuff , but don't smoke or sniff this stuff it will kill u.

16. lawl^

the reason to have everything frozen and washing it quickly is so it doesn't strip as much chlorophyll into your oil. same with ISO. its not all about quantity. quality first, then you do a second run washing it multiple times. I do that so I have different batches useful for different things.

17. Also DO NOT use plastic strainers, the acetone will dissolve certain types of plastic.

18. Anyone have any pics to share of their Acetone extractions?

Quite curious :smoke: