the trichome by matt rize

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Matt Rize, Jun 5, 2011.

1. I just wanted to say thank you to the un-named mod here that contacted me elsewhere. You are right, there is no reason to endure such abuse. Rize up grasscity!

[​IMG]

The Trichome by Matt Rize

Cannabis has special trichomes to say the least. The resin within these trichomes has encouraged our ancestors to work with this plant for millennia, spreading the seeds world wide. Cannabis resin contains strong smelling medicinal compounds that glisten in the sun to call extra attention. Trichomes, the resin gland heads, protect the cannabis plant from insects and predation by being sticky and intoxicating. Trichomes also protect growing seeds from the sun and wind by reflecting solar radiation and creating a physical barrier. The medicinal and psychoactive compounds in cannabis that we love are contained within the trichomes, as resin.

The Cannabinoids and Terpenoids in Resin:
    Cannabis resin includes: cannabinoids (THC, CBD, CBN, THC-V, over 90 discovered so far!), terpenoids (smell and "high" modulation), and plant waxes/oils. One group of cannabinoids, the THC group, is primarily responsible for the psychoactive properties of cannabis. Although, without the other cannabinoids and terpenoids, pure THC is a boring high, according to Sam Skunkman. I'm don't know this from experience... yet.

Most Cannabis varieties today can be classified by chemotype as: high THC/low CBD. Now that medical marijuana is being lab tested (ie Steep Hill Lab: California's Premier Cannabis Testing Facility ), other chemotypes are being discovered and propagated. A good reference for CBD information is Project CBD | CANNABIDIOL SCIENCE | FOR DOCTORS | FOR PATIENTS. Recently, a version of “Jack the Ripper” by Sub Cool Seeds showed a substantial concentration of THCV. GW Pharmaceuticals has worked with THCV, inbreeding a variety with THCV in high levels that also lacks THC and CBD. Here is their Phase 1 study of THCV as a treatment for obesity and associated metabolic disorders. GWPharma - GW Commences Phase I Study of THCV, a Potential Treatment for Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders

I will let cancer.gov tell us more about cannabinoids as medicine:
    "Cannabinoids are a group of 21 carbon terpenophenolic compounds produced uniquely by Cannabis sativa and Cannabis indica species.[1,2] These plant-derived compounds may be referred to as phytocannabinoids. Although delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the primary psychoactive ingredient, other known compounds with biologic activity are cannabinol, cannabidiol (CBD), cannabichromene, cannabigerol, tetrahydrocannabivirin (THCV), and delta-8-THC. Cannabidiol (CBD), in particular, is thought to have significant analgesic and anti-inflammatory activity without the psychoactive effect (high) of delta-9-THC."
    Cannabis and Cannabinoids (PDQ®) - National Cancer Institute

What is a trichome?
    A trichome is defined as a hair or scale-like extension of the epidermis (skin) of a plant. This can be both non-secretory hairs and secretory glands. In our industry, cannabis resin glands are called trichomes and the hair-like extensions of the epidermis are called cystolith hairs. Technically resin glands and cystolith hairs are both trichomes. For simplicity, the trichome will refer solely to resin glands as the cystolith hairs are of little value.

Kinds of trichomes:
    Resin glands are capitate stalked trichomes that go from clear to cloudy to amber when maturing. Within the gland heads lie the cannabinoids: THC, THCV, CBD, CBN, CBC, CGN, and some 90 other identified other cannabinoids. Also contained in the resin gland heads are terpenoids. Terpenoids are responsible for smell and modulate the "high" and medicinal properties of cannabis. These mature trichomes can vary in size from 25 to 220 microns, this varies widely depending on environment and genetics.

To attain the most potent concentration of resin, via natural methods, only the mature resin gland heads can be collected. This is somewhere in the 60-100 micron range for hybrids. But this varies greatly, and depends on many factors including the oil soluble terpenoids, plant waxes/oils, plant size, and environmental conditions of the grow. A detailed description of trichomes can be found here:
    NationMaster - Encyclopedia: Trichome

Trichome power:
    The Cannabis trichome serves multiple functions. It protects the plant from predation, desiccation, and radiation. The trichome also calls to mankind, and has seduced us to spread the Cannabis plant to every corner of the earth. The cannabinoids, terpenoids, and other compounds within the these resin gland heads have proven to help the human race with a multitude of debilitating and degenerative conditions. Cannabinoid research has only scratched the surface of the medicinal benefits of trichome. The ailments statistically proven to be aided by cannabinoids will surely grow. Rize UP!

• Like Like x 1
  2. #2 Matt Rize, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2011
    hello grasscity...? just realized this is totally in the wrong section. if a mod could help a guy out with putting this wherever it's supposed to be... thanks in advance. rize up!

[​IMG]

3. No joke I stared at that pic for like 5 minutes. Looks bombbb

4. It also looks familiar. I've seen the pics shortly before (professor) Matt Rize was booted on other forums. Looks like he landed here.............MIW

5. I like matt's bubblehash videos alot. Nice videos on YouTube.

6. Hmmm I like the post and this thread idea. If you wanted the next thing I would expand on is the effect on the body (but that may take a couple pages to accomplish with all the varying effects). Or maybe how to increase trichome production (A lot of grey area in this subject IMO). Anyways thanks for the read I appreciate it.

7. Thanks. That's some Jack H ice water wax

Thanks man.

Hey, great ideas and thank you.
    My vegan organic green crack ice water extract. 49% THC
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Respect!!! Big up Matt!!! Good work bro' thanks for the info and vids!!!

9. you going to the medical cup?

10. I had thought about it. But am undecided as of yet. And u?

11. Is it in california? If you teach me to grow the best medical herb I will surely go. I don't want to go and be made a fool of :). Maybe I can go for fun. Where is it at? But still I would like to showcase my top notch medical herb which I expect to have reguardless of your help but any bit of help I can get is appreciated. How important is adding barley to the soil? Or EM-1? I need to grow top notch medical herb more then a herion addict needs his fix :smoke:.

12. Yeah - they need the jobs down there.
    Not nearly as important as the kids at Hygrozyme would have you believe.

Easy enough to test - get some barley seeds from a home brew store or maybe Whole Foods. Sprout them like you would alfalfa seeds (blech!) and when the roots are about 2" in length fill the jar with water and cover the lid with a rag and rubberband to keep the flies out and let it ferment naturally for several weeks until you get about 1" of fungi growing on the top.

Add 1 tablespoon of this to a gallon of water and hit the soil.

Touching isn't it?

LD

13. Not just anyone can bring entries to the cup buddy. The entries for judging are already set anyways. They wouldn't let some noobie just bring some herb an enter it. Sorry this just isn't a dream u can live buddy

14. #15 yoctown, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
    It was my understanding you can pay a little money and you get to open your own booth. That isn't how it works I guess?

Me an amatuer.... Maybe... But I hate to break it to you but I don't even buy or smoke other peoples weed anymore due to it not meeting my standard. Not saying there isn't weed out there that is as good as mine just saying I am tired of being able to go to the club and buy their best eighth and it be sub par to my "left overs".

15. Hopefully they'll have an 'amateur viewing' section for the wannabes! Just being in the presence of those high-falutin' Cali growers would be inspiration enough.

Will they be charging for autographs this year?

LD

16. One other thing - will I be able to bring the t-shirts I was thinking about having printed up for the Orygun Delegation - "We're Not Worthy!"

I'll give 10% of the proceeds to the Oaksterdam U Precision Hacky-Sack Drill Team - they're participation at last year's Doo-Dah Parade in Pasadena was especially exciting and motivating.

Let me know!

LD

17. #18 Matt Rize, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2011
    LMAO!!! Welcome Professor Wu! did you see ol von make a fool of himself on the farm? it's too funny, possibly ironic, when ic mods get banned for trolling me. "heh" :smoke:

18. #19 Matt Rize, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2011
    lmao at this one too! some noobie! that's a funny word :hello: you can enter but it has to be through a collective. at this point it may be too late for "noobies" to enter. but I ain't no noob. Our friend Lumperz here is a guru, so let's hear what he has to say about the trichome. :)

19. #20 Matt Rize, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2011
    I did make some "rize up!" t-shirts and would love to send you one :D no joke. rize up CC!

Are you going to turn this discussion on the trichome into another joke session? If so, I'm down just let me know now.

AND CC, I DON'T WORK FOR OU. I TEACH FREE CLASSES AT THE CANNABIS FARMERS MARKET... how you going to hate on that?