Question about drying temperatures (Too Cold?)

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by TomGreenThumb, Feb 20, 2010.

1. I usually dry in a dry room in the house at around 60-70 degrees F and I keep it dark. I'm now using the garage due to the odors, and its pretty cold out there this time of year. It doesnt go below freezing so my buds arent going to freeze, but it is typically anywhere from 35-55 degrees in there through the day and night. I have a fan setup for air circulation.
    Anyone dry out their nugs in this cold of a temp? I figure the mold wont grow in that cold of temps (I hope)
    What are some other thoughts? Thanks alot!

2. It does seem to be taking longer then when I do them indoors. But the slower the better right?

3. idk anything about drying but it seems like u do can i put it in a jar and let it sit it outside
    cause i live with m parents and i need to grow outdoors

4. Well, before you put it in the jar, it does need to be dry first. If your going to dry outdoors, it would need to be in a shed, garage, or some other place that stays dry. If you just harvest your buds and throw them in jars you will definately end up with mold and ruin all your hard work. Grow, Harvest, Dry, Cure. Research each of those individually and you will do fine ;)

Back to the subject...
    Anyone drying in the cold? I check the buds daily. They are drying but very slowly. Today will be one week since I chopped the first and they arent even close to dry yet.

5. I'm going to be drying in aprox. 50*F, so I'll let you know how it goes. (check the sig)

I'm gonna be in my attic, so I didn't really feel safe, but since you're in your garage I would look into a space heater.

6. I ended up bringing them in and am dealing with the smell. My next harvest isnt for three months so it will be warmer, but next winter I will be building a heated drying chamber in the garage. I've got 2-3 more days until they are ready for jars, cant wait :)

7. TomGreenThumb - i would have thought that was a bit too cold for they buds dude - you probably done the right thing bringing them inside the warmth, as long as you are able to get good air circulation then mould shouldn't be an issue

anyways, bet they'll b dry before you know it mate :eek:

CaLiFr - when curing bud then dry it before you cure it and be sure to 'burp' jar regularly to prevent mould - mould is nasty on the lungs :eek: