Tent ventilation questions

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Kubrick, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Hey everyone, back from a little hiatus and just set up my new room. I used to post on this forum under the username bosey, but for some reason I am locked out of the account and don't remember the password. 
    \nTent is 4'x4'x7.5'
    600W MH for veg HPS for flower
    Cooltube with hood
    6" 440 CFM exhaust
    Carbon filter
    6" booster fan for intake (rated like 250 cfm but doubt that number is real even though it can def push some air)
    Window AC for room
    \nSo I tried multiple setups and tested temps to see how it worked out.
    \nFirst I tried Filter inside tent-ducting-cooltube-ducting-to fan outside tent
    \nHad manageable temps but was pushing low 80s even with ac on.
    \nNext I tried open end cooltube-ducting-fan-filter both outside tent with fan blowing air through filter.
    \nTemps maxed around 77-78 and I think I was getting better suction than the previous setup due to much less ducting.
    \nThe ac was on in both tests. Great negative pressure in both tests. To try to get temps down further I attached a duct adapter to the ac and ran ducting into my booster fan to use as intake. Temps dropped down as low as 68 and did not go above 75. The weather has been very mild here lately so it is essential I have great control over the temps before I start.
    \nDoes anyone run a setup that has 2 exhaust fans (1 strictly to cool light and other for exhaust and filter) that can elaborate a little about the setup they run? I am thinking about grabbing another fan strictly for the cooltube but want some input first. Seems like the combinations for fan filter etc are endless. Push or pull, filter inside or outside? Seems like everyone has a different opinion and I'd like to hear them :)
    \nI'm hoping to get running within a month and am hoping to setup a scrog. Will be doing a coco/light warrior/lime/perlite mix in airpots like I did for my last grow. Think my journal is still around here if you search. Will post pics of the current setup soon. Thanks.

2. Another question. Does anyone have any ideas on how to raise the plants off the ground for drainage? If anyone has ever used airpots you know that the drainage is very good and sometimes water will find its way out of then side holes.

I was thinking of setting up the same PVC frame I'm using for a scrog screen (around 44"x44") and propping off the ground by around 2-3 inches. Then laying some pegboard or perforated hard board on top for the pots to stand on. Underneath will be 2 Rubbermaid containers to catch runoff.

I'm open to any ideas DIY or premade it doesn't matter. Will be growing 2 RP
    Kosher Kush and 2 RP Purple Wreck so any input on a scrog or any grow with those strains would be awesome.

3. #3 Kubrick, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2013
    So I bought 2- 4x2 pegboard and fit it into tent. Used 4inch pvc extensions to raise them off the ground and put some bins underneath to catch the excess water. Also lets my inline booster fan that Im using for intake rest right on top the pegboard.Tried to string the scrog individually with braided mason twine but cant seem to get to string tight enough. Ordered a vinyl garden fence instead. Should be much sturdier than the string anyway.  Really pumped for this grow, I'd really like some input, but I don't mind talking to myself  :hide:

Attached Files:

4. I have a 400w magnetic hps ballast and another 600w lumatek dimmable from previous grows. I have a cooltube with a really large winged reflector that takes up most of my tent right now. Was thinking of rather than trying to fit another hood in the tent for flower what about adding a socket into the other end of the cooltube? What would I need to mount the socket in there? Anyone try this?

There is more than enough room in the cooltube for another bulb and figure that as long as I can keep the temps under control it should be ok. Just waiting for my seeds now so if this is even an option id rather get it done now bc it will be almost impossible to do modifications once it is up and running.

5. I have heard of people putting a second bulb in their tubes but i have no idea how you would go about doing that :/.

I'm running a 1000w in a 4x4 tent with 2 exhausts (one 6 inch for air cooling the hood and one 4 inch for exhaust w/ carbon filter). I push the cool air through my tube for two reasons 1) so negative pressure doesn't suck smelly air out my unfiltered exahust and 2) improves life of fan due to less heat stress. The downside to this is the fan is slightly less efficient pushing than pulling. I have everything inside my tent so my 4inch is pulling air through the carbon filter and then pushing it through ducting outside the tent.

I would add another socket to your tube if you can figure it out, my 1000w hood is huge and takes up more than 2 feet of width, I'm not sure how big yours is for a 600 but it would be a nightmare for me to try to hang another hood w/ ducting in mine heh

6. Thanks for the response. My hood almost takes up the entire width of the tent with ducting attached. I just checked out the hood and I could probably mount a socket in there but there is one problem. I'd have to drill a hole into the end of the cooltube and hood for the wire placement. Don't think I'm gonna mess with it unless someone has another idea.