Matching my fan with my Filter

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by jguy44, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Ok I know like everything else on here, this has probably been covered at least 100 times over, but I have a question concerning what size carbon filter I need. I just installed a Solar Palau TD150 which is moving around 295cfm. This is about 3 times the volume of my tent so I'm happy with the airflow. Since I just wen't into flower I'm going to be needing a carbon filter soon and I have a few in mind, but I'm confused on what size I need. Here's what I'm looking at:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/LED-Wholesalers-GYO2306-Hydroponic-Scrubber/dp/B0050HSL4U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1315827359&sr=8-3]Amazon.com: LED Wholesalers GYO2306 6" Hydroponic Carbon Air Filter 310 CFM Air Scrubber: Kitchen & Dining[/ame] -This one is rated at 310 cfm, which seems to be right on the mark for my fan

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/LED-Wholesalers-GYO2301-Hydroponic-Scrubber/dp/B003UL8JMM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315828057&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: LED Wholesalers GYO2301 6-Inch Hydroponic Carbon Air Filter 470 CFM With Air Scrubber Oder Control: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame] - Same model, just moves 470cfm

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Can-Carbon-Filter-Prefilter-Separately/dp/B001JILVRI/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1315828141&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Can 33 Carbon Filter With Prefilter, Flange Sold Separately: Home & Garden[/ame] - And this is my last choice.

Again, this isn't about what brand since they all seem to get good reviews. This is just about what size would be best matched with my fan. Thanks for any help!

2. I'm guessing your fan is 6"? That's primary concern. Make sure the filter is rated high enough for your fan. Keep in mind a filter will cut airflow in half (conservative here, I don't have any empirical evidence, I just remember hearing that somewhere). As long as the flange sizes are the same, you should be good.

3. Yea it's 6" and rated around 300 cfm. I just want to make sure that the filter I buy will be the right size for the fan to effectively eliminate the odors.

Thanks for the replies Sblaze

4. I agree, 6 inch fan, six inch scrubber. Have you thought about a DIY carbon scrubber? You can find a lot of threads on here how to make one, and it would be cheaper.

5. Yea I've looked at a couple of thread on them. The thing about it is that the first link is 50$ for a 310 cfm scrubber that gets good reviews, and I honestly don't think I could make one for under that, even if I had all the tools to do so.....and I don't. It's just not cost effective enough for me to build something that has the same quality workmanship as one that I could buy. I'd probably be looking at well over 100$ with tools and time involved once I got done

6. I like the price tag on the first one

Big fan if the can filters, mega heavy though....and that last one might not have a flange for connecting the ducting

My personal opinion is to go with the last one, can't put a price tag on stink.....it seems expensive now but its much more expensive to get pinched....do the best you can do to avoid the popo....also I don't like maxing out a filter with fan cfm ratings.....

This will only be a one time purchase....once the filter starts to fail drill out the rivits and replace the carbon, much cheaper

Keep us updated....

7. The reason I say build your own is that most scrubbers are one time use. DIY scrubbers can be refilled and changed out.

8. akhans is correct... if your have builder skills and access to parts and tools i'd really suggest that you build your own... but its the same cost as the last filter, more or less... i can give you a link on a solid do it yourself carbon filter... rated at 400 cfm's.... i believe the parts list and directions really spell it out...

if your not handy, i wouldn't attempt it... most don't even know what tin snips are

9. I'm a little handy, but I find that the things I've never done before usually don't go 100% I'll probably just go with the can 33, pop the rivets when it's ready and refill. Thanks so much for the input