Hooking up my AC

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Tommyvuitton, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hi, anyone have any experience running a portable AC in a vented setup. I am wondering what would be the best way to setup the AC.

I'm in a tent, intake comes from outside and exhaust goes into the roof. I have 2x air-cooled hoods as well. My AC only has an exhaust duct which puts out the hot air, it sucks in hot air thru the side and puts out the cool air thru the front.

Thx

2. i have recently been expirimenting with a system like this. i designed a system that worked pretty well by ducting an airlet from a colder room. there are a number of ways to setup the ducting depending on what your problems are... give some more details and i can help you out... what is happening exactly?

3. There isnt a problem yet but I'm sure when summer is in full force the temps are going to get out of hand.

I duct my air from outside at the mo and out to the roof!

4. I'm getting ready to connect a duct to the front of my ac and pipe that into my tent.....why cool the room, when I can cool the tent....I'll let you know how it works

5. Sounds like a good idea to me speed, let me know how it goes.

6. hahahaha... I connected a duct to the front of my A/C.... it works like a super champ... but I found a problem with doing the design this way... the A/C never shuts off.... the thermostat is inside my a/c unit...

So... i've decided to port the tent, like physically cut the tent and put the A/C unit inside the tent....i loose a site for a plant... but now the a/c unit will work more efficiently...

ill post a pic of how I cut my ducting if you want... but its kinda pointless.

hope this helped...

7. Thanks for the feedback, think I will have to sacrifice space in the tent for mine.

8. yeah, if your temps are high... like mine are... you have to do it

a long winded explanation.....

my a/c was running outside of my tent... and the vent was pushing the cool air towards a vent... and there was a fan drawing air into the tent.... temps in the room were about 80... inside the tent... almost 90... and my ac was set on 71 degrees...

once I connected my ducting to the front of the a/c unit and ported the cold air into the tent.... with the a/c set on 71.... temps got to 68 degrees inside the tent... and were high 90's in the room(im also pushing hot lamp air into the room, fixing that)

with the a/c off the tent shot up to 120 degrees inside the tent...

ill actually make it a point to show you what I did with my a/c... and what i do after... should be done by tomorrow... iv'e been holding off... massive overhaul on my tent and a/c...

9. Finally found all the parts I needed for cutting my tent

Attached Files:

10. Almost done

Attached Files:

11. that looks horrible.. im looking for a cleaner more professional setup.

did you consider putting a portable a/c inside the tent and simply ducting the exhaust hose(s) through the existing ports?

12. #13 Tihspeed, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2011
    [​IMG]

Rome was not built in a day... I was trying to show progress as I went rather than a finished product...

I connected the flanges to the tent... then cut the tent in the middle so the tent wouldn't continue to tear... then I insulated the ducting all the way to the wall... with the A/C unit inside the tent...

I know the pic is blurry... it looked fine on the phone when I snapped it... looks pretty pro to me... so keep laughing

all the photos are in this thread if you wanna follow along....

http://forum.grasscity.com/hydroponic-grow-journals/888552-tihspeeds-f-g-journal-2.html