My UNIQUE Non-Conventional Grow Design 40 pics

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Dado, Jun 24, 2011.

1. #1 Dado, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2011
    I hope I give someone else a new way to look at things, I can use a few more ideas.

I hope you like this

This is where it all begins, a maze of wires and plugs that are for the most part cut to the exact lengths needs, as I didn't want all these extra lengths tied up with zip ties....OK some are.....All the outlets are guided to a heavy duty timer. I don't need the Panda Film any longer, but I decided to leave it, It does make everything easier to wipe down.

[​IMG]

The frontal view looks a little more organized, I don't plan to move any of these plugs , so I decided to make the connections permanent with zip ties. Just regular lamp outlets with 1 1/8th holes bored through a peg board, used some 1 1/2" cut PVC and duct tape so they wouldn't back out. (3) 1X1's secured horizontally so the board doesn't bend, Since the picture I added a light chain and turnbuckle on one of those "Key Clips" in the center for extra support

[​IMG]

Two bathroom exhaust fans from Home Depot running through my houses main ventilation system

[​IMG]

(BELOW) I Didn't want to stare at these inner workings, so I hung a 1 inch vinyl mini blind

[​IMG]

Below are (15) Lights of America grow lights (7200k) like the ones found in Wal-Mart, I chose these as they are only 2 feet deep, and If I have a problem with one of them, I'll just toss it or replace the bulb. These are meant for Vegging ONLY.

The small Sterite container is ones we all know, I'll just do 4 plants the next time and scrog them

[​IMG]

I doubled the sterite container, just as a precaution against leaks, and drilled my appropriate holes and added rubber grommets to seal out any unwanted light

[​IMG]

I built this entire frame using heavy duty wire shelving which can withstand 100's of pounds of weight. The pegboard below the gray container is that it will sit level instead of rocking on the shelf railing.

BELOW - You can see that the fluorescent lights each have an on/off switch if I needed to reduce light (but I don't think so)

[​IMG]

Every other Fluorescent light is permanently fixed, the other ones are on (2) eye hooks so that they can be removed when the flowering lights are added (you'll see what I mean soon)

[​IMG]

You really have to see how bright these are when 15 come together "for Vegging" (PERFECT) These are actual 7200k vegging bulbs that came with the fixture, I wouldn't use these for one or two ...BUT 15 really make a difference.

BELOW - These 1/2" PVC tubes below, are for my CO2 that I will be using. The tubing is 1/2" PVC with some 3/8th distribution holes and some funnels I made from those rubber sink aerators. Nothing is GLUED, these will just pull apart. I capped the ends to keep the airflow directed to the funnels. (You'll understand soon). I don't have to use them all at the same time, they remove in seconds and I can replace the unwanted ones with small capped PVC

[​IMG]

BELOW - You can see they run through the wire rack through the other side, where the heart of my CO2 distributor lies . I still have to patch the Panda film holes, (from a previous experiment) just to make it look more neat

[​IMG]

Just a few more shots

[​IMG]

and one or two more

[​IMG]

Simple starter tub for my small plants to be born

[​IMG]

EVERYTHING is adjustable I can go either UP or Down by just using the heavy duty Key Clips (they support 40lbs each), I put maybe 8 on the scrog shelf (overkill) and 8 on the above light support

[​IMG]

For many tiny bubbles I added 6 round (4 inch) air stones inside connected to 3 dual line cheap Wal-Mart Air Pumps.

[​IMG]

NOW the fun parts... Using this Humidifier MOISTAIR,
    [​IMG]

I made a top cover from some venting tin where the top air exhaust goes and guided the air flow using 1 1/2" PVC pipe, reducing it to 1/2" for those funnel looking rods you seen earlier. The MoistAir humidifier will house one of those Exhale CO2 Cultivator bags. I will insert the bag where the removable blueish water tank is, The CO2 that is produced will be lifted through the system by the variable speed air fan , There will be no water in the tank, The tank will be removed. I will fix the Panda holes at the last moment

[​IMG]

Just so you can see how it branches out. Again I didn't glue it, everything fits snug and can be removed with a good twist, I'm just pushing a light breeze through the pvc to the rod and out the funnels, The breeze I achieve is enough to waver a candle flame on low speed up to blowing the candle out and fan setting number 4 (works perfect)

[​IMG]

After Vegging for a little while maybe 12 inches or so, I will transfer the entire NET POT, to the 3" PVC pipes below, Pipes are 24" long and each contains its own 4inch long X 2inch wide air stone. You can see the black air lines that go to each airstone, inserted into the 3 inch PVC pipe. I like this ides of NOT having all roots entwined, (but after a month or so into flowering, they start to anchor themselves to the air tubing inside each pipe) each has it's own home with a shared 18L reservoir.

BELOW - Those White 3 inch Caps aren't anything special, there just 2 extra tubes for future use

[​IMG]

another shot

[​IMG]

and a few more. Once again, the shelf height can be adjusted to any level by simply moving the heavy duty key clips either up/down

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Below, You can see when every other fluorescent light is removed from there eye hooks and the Lamp outlets are permanently in place for the (next stage) flowering LED Bulbs

[​IMG]

The CO2 PVC tubing is easily removed if necessary, as you can see below. ( I'm going to clip off those remaining pull chains)

[​IMG]

The OUTLET plug "screw in" connector will be unscrews to allow more flowering LED bulbs to be inserted. The fluorescent bulbs will remain there for the duration but not be turned on.

[​IMG]

ABOVE - every other fluorescent fixture is removed by just unplugging and taken off their eye hooks. The remaining fluorescent fixtures are permanent and will be switched off and not be used during flowering.

BELOW - I modified the power cords on these fluorescent lights to align up with their female receptacle counterparts when they are hung

[​IMG]

BELOW - (25) 36watt LEDs are inserted and geometrically placed so that they are covering the entire 3 foot by 2 foot scrog area, as you can see

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now for the light show

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BELOW - Now for the plumbing.....These 3 inch by 24 inch PVC pipes are all linked together below using 1" heavy duty washing machine hose . They have been drilled though these folding tables, Below is the TOPSIDE. .....A little bit crooked I know, But they are as strong as Atlas

[​IMG]

BELOW ALL nine tubes are linked together using 1" heavy duty hose and worm clamps, There is also a boiler valve for quick evacuation of the system. This system within these pipes hold exactly 18 liters of liquid up to the rubber grommet and air hose. I also added a sterite reserve tank with a crossover valve that can double the capacity for when I go away.

[​IMG]

Another View

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BELOW I've added an extra sterite tub that can double the nute capacity if I needed to go away for a couple of days extra

[​IMG]

It has an open/close valve so that I don't have to use this container If I don't need to . I used WaterWeld on all my connections, there has never been a leak on this system, this putty hardens in 20 minutes and can sustain an explosion

[​IMG]

This whole contraption is only 4 feet or so wide and 2 feet deep , by 7 foot high. I'm going to break her cherry later this year. I did it before, (but not SCROG) and the lighting last time was different , I used CFL but I have so many design changes it will be like the first time I'm using it. All in All it cost me about $1000 to build ( a few dollars here , a few dollars there), Paid for itself last year, when it was just a plain system, now I have all these bells and whistles.

2. Never seen one like it :) Guessing space was an issue? Or why did opt for LED over HPS?

3. I got the basic idea from Epcot in Florida, ...seeing all them vegetables grow vertically in tomorrowland :D

It started as a hobby, and keeping it cheap (at the time) buying an extra pipe when I went to Home depot, some plugs, power strips when they were on sale , ect..

The biggest expenses were the lights, ...but buying them a couple at a time I didnt feel the pinch. I used it one time just hanging CFLs from the top shelf above the plants, works GREAT easy to maintain, large yield nearly 12 ounces from 4 plants with those cfl's now I wanted to try something different (LED'S

4. #4 BenderBob, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2011
    [​IMG]

wouldn't it have been cheaper and a lot easier to go with a HID light? I'll give you credit you sure did one hell of a good job with the set up..:cool:

it's says I can't rep you right now but I will soon.. ;)

5. Thanks , It was a piece by piece installation, I was in no hurry, and it allowed me to buy the lights and stuff when I had a few extra dollars, 1 light here, 2 there and so on

6. This just blew my mind

7. Can you tell I got too much time on my hands ?

I can never live by the KISS rule (Keep It Simple Stupid) :D

8. #8 Mister Meaner, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2011
    Whole Eeeek Rap!
    I srsly hope that thing works out well for you, just for the amount of work it took to build it!
    I have thought of growing in vertical pvc pipes before, but I don't have a way to really make it work. Good luck with it, I will be watching!

(My first thought when I saw the first pics was "This is how houses burn down from electrical fires". Hope you did the math on that circuitry!)

9. #9 Dado, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2011
    Thanks, as far as it working to produce fruit, yes it does work, the whole lighting draws less then 1 amp and all the outlet strips each have trip breakers and also each power strip is daisy chained to the heavy duty timer which has ONE heavy power cord that supplies the entire circuitry

These are root structures from the first time I used it. When there done , they just slip out. The mass was so dense , like a loaf of white bread \t\t

There's nothing wrong with the roots, I was using chlorella in my feeding which discolors everything it touches

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. how long did it take to chop through those roots? :p

11. I felt like Paul Bunyan .....Took 3 sharp new razors to do all the plants, there were more to it I took the picture at the last moment

12. I am the illegitimate child of Rube Goldberg and MacGyver :D

13. This build is epic! I'm giving you some rep when I get on my computer. I really want to see this in action

14. Thnaks I plan on doing a journal when I fire this up, Keep your eyes open ! :D

15. will do! I have a DIY grow going on right now, its my second grow and i have the journal link in my sig if you want to look :) How much did those LED's cost?

16. #16 BenderBob, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2011

yeah I'm curious about them too.. how do you know what color spectrum they are? and where did you get them? I can see where I could really use these as side lights ;)

17. #17 Dado, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2011
    These are the newest generation bulbs from China, The Red: are 660nm and the Blue 450nm 16 watt (compare to 36 watt equivalent) . I wanted to go this way because I bought 1 here and 2 there ....and so on.

I didint feel the pinch at all and if a few go out I can replace them at a minimal expense versus a problem with a high end unit. One bulb is EXTREMELY BRIGHT !!!, and with 25 glowing, I need shades to go into the room, they hurt my eyes (BUT NO HEAT AT ALL).

Overall I figure the price was $20 apiece. Based on the brightness, and the specs . I'm sure something will grow. The last time I used soft white CFLS exclusively for flowering 4 plants and yielded nearly 9 ounces (i didnt scrog those and 4 plants grew 5 feet tall in this contraption with only 18 liters of nute water ) .....this will be the first attempt at a scrog

18. Installed the ExHale CO2 Cultivator Bag (Natural CO2 Generator) which is housed inside the working humidifier (no water) and travels through the 1/2" PVC pipes via humidifier fan to the above head dispensing vent (for lack of a better word)

Is there an easy way to measure the Co2 PPM without investing in an expensive piece of equipment ?

19. I'm not too sure why I didn't post when I first read your thread, but I definitely am digging the set-up. It seems like you have most of your bases covered so I don't have many suggestions other than the ones I already offered.

I'm just going to wait for your grow journal :smoke:

20. whoa.... nice build

[​IMG]