Led vs hps ???

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by halfounce, Apr 26, 2010.

1. I have both hps and led my led is 300w and i have 1000w and 600w hps i also have a 1000w mh wich one should i use i have about a 10ft by 10 ft grow space i prolly wont use all of the space right now this is only my 1st grow

2. I'd sell the lights and get yourself 1/2oz instead ;):cool:

3. what are u insane!?! thts the craziest shit i have ever heard in my life

4. plus i know way too many growers to buy any bud

5. Me insane? :yay:

Just be sure you grow at rented premises - and watch out for the FILTH :eek: :wave: Have a nice day - get on the Beat... :D

6. I would suggest using the MH for vegging, and swap to the 1000 hps for budding. from what i've heard about LED they don't create bud density like the HID lights do.

good luck

7. yea what he said^^^^^ MH for veg and any of the HPS for flower, the LED's will work if need be, but the HPS will put out way denser nugs. Check out Rumpleforeskin he's grown with both and you can compare from his threads.

8. i am vegging under the 600w hps at the moment, do you think i should change to the 1000w mh ?? is heat going to be an issue??

9. use the LED's in conjunction with MH for veg. LED is garbage for flowering.

10. Yes, switch to the MH, as MH lights in vegging create smaller internodal spaces-meaning bushier plants, which is what you want to achieve from your vegging period. Then switch to HPS when you change to your budding light schedule, as it has more of a red spectrum of light suited to bud production.

The issue of heat depends on your grow space, you want the temp to be between 70-80 degrees-ish, so ventilate to what your space requires. Whatever the temp. of your room is, you want to keep a good amount of air movement going so even if your temp. is ideal without making changes, you should at least have a desk fan/oscillating fan to keep the air moving, keep the plants dancing as they say

11. This is what u really need to do...
    I would run your 1000w MH with the LED's for vegetative growth.
    I would Run your 1000w HPS with the LED's for the flowering stage.
    Your plants need the HID bulbs to be running in conjunction with the LED's because of heat. LED's do not give off very much heat at all and your room needs to be around 70-80f, the HID bulbs will provide the warmth nessesary for vigourous growth.
    Plants grown under LED grow lights will grow slower without the intense heat
    of a radiant light source applied directly to the plant canopy.
    I use 2 200w LED flat bars with a single 600w HPS in the center with no shade or cooling. Without the HPS, The LED's will run and only warm the room to 66-67f. The HPS boost's room temps to 74-75f. This is what you want.
    If you have any more questions just ask. Happy growing :)

12. Use those 1000w lights! thats a ridiculous amount of lights im so jealous! it depends on how many plants tho for up to about 6 go 600w but anything more go with the 1000

13. thanks a lot you guys are making things so much easier on me over here .. like i have books but i dont really want to go through experiencing to mess up i want to learn this fast ... my room is already running i still need to add ventilation do i need to air cool my 1000w bulb or can i use a vertical set up and just run the air conditioner? im really not good at the building side of this or interested, i just want to grow!

14. But thats assuming you know what his room temps are. Unless he stated it and I missed it. My temps are perfect for growing BEFORE I add the HPS light. Once I do that, I need to cool my grow area down because its too hot with the light added, makes my temps skyrocket over 90 degrees F.

The HPS is just a better grow light for flowering than LED's from what I read. So that would be the reason to choose HPS, not because it provides heat, unless you specifically need that.

15. There's no rule saying you can't use everything at the same time ;)

16. Yes, it is completely dependent on your grow room size and the ambient temperature it reaches naturally before all the power is on. If your room is hitting 90f+ with the HID lights running, you will need a cooltube or vented shade, but if it brings yours temps to 70-89f (some strains i have like 85-89f in flowering, i have an electric baseboard heater for this) then you're set. Where i am, it is fairly cold, the room is 65f before any lighting is on. So in my situation the HPS provides the temp boost i need.
    LED light is "cold", emitting very low heat, the plants need the heat wavelength from the HID to really strive, it helps them absorb more emitted light. with LED, stunted growth will result when growing under 70f. LED manufacturers will recommend a hybrid system of HID with LED for maximum results.
    I can't speak on what light source is better for your plants because ive always implemented the 'hybrid' lighting system. The LED are fixed and cover a 10x10ft. area while the hps revolves on a circular light rail once an hour.

17. i have put some pics up in my galllery i dont know how to put them on the thread yet and i have to be at work soon, can someone plz take a look???
    sorry to change the subject but i need help

18. you could try them separately, so that you could see the amazing different results by yourself , right? now that you have these 3 kind lights ,why not take a try?

19. use the 1000MH & l.e.d.s. for veg. and ALL the hps lights & l.e.d.s. for flowering