90 Watt UFO LED vs. 400 Watt HPS

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by denvernuggets, Dec 29, 2009.

1. This video sold me on LED lights!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh9oGroryoc&feature=related]YouTube - 90w LED UFO Comparison 400w HPS[/ame]

2. This whole experiment looked great until the end.

At the end of the video he says "if you are interested in buying this light (the light that just RAPED the 400w HPS) he tells you to go to their website.....

The whole commercial ending made me a skeptic....

I would put money on 400w HPS but I've never tried the other so I can't say.

IMO if you're conducting an experiment you can't sell the products which you use, what a bias outcome lol

3. They probably sell hps lights too... most grow shops do.

4. #4 Parallelism, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2009

Yeah I just checked, they do. Still bias

5. Am I just missing something here? How could you trust a grow log posted by someone trying to sell you the product? Especially when people who aren't LED salesmen are posting about poor results in testing?

6. Anyone worth their research salt will tell you as well that an N of 4 (N = number, the total # of subjects in the experiment) is not statistically valid. There are simply too many confounding variables to account for in the differences between one single plant and another. An N of 20 - 100+ would have been more appropriate.

7. i saw this and was almost sold also until i realized that if they are so good why the fuck is the plant with 2 lights not winning this race? bogus bullshit when it comes to growing .more light better plants right? if they are so good even the 2 ufo's should be better than the hps, true?

8. Didn't you know? Having less light is better for MJ plants. It's science

9. So they're vegging plants and they're testing red LED's and an HPS? Why aren't they testing blue LED's and a Metal Halide? Not much of a test in my view.

10. i'm no scientist but, i can spell bullshit!

11. there is a you tube however that has a pretty expensive led setup and looks verry promising if you want the info or whatever. they do work but , you better match the watt 4 watt ratio to the other hid's

12. we can discuss this all we want but in the end, HPS triumphs LED... as of right now....

13. A 90watt ufo would have trouble beating a 90 HID, much less a 400W. I am testing two 180 watt UFO's vs a 400 watt HID lamp. I am very close to harvest and it seems the LEDs can't out do the HIDs even if you match the wattage.
    I think my results are different because I don't sell them.

14. That's what I said in my first post -____-

If you're selling a product, you have a bias opinion. Well said Rumpleproskin.

15. Indeed, I done alot of reaidng on LED's before I decided on a light. I think LED may be the way of the future, but right now it just cant compare. The only positive results ive seen from LED's are from people who sell them or people who have a large amount of cash invested in them.

16. I guess it's just best to invest in badass digital HID ballasts...

17. It'd take about 300w LED to match a 400w HPS, and keep in mind almost every LED light made in china severely OVERRATES its power use, most HPS's UNDERRATE

If you want to act futuristic and waste money buy LED's, if you want to grow pot buy an HID.

18. you will need more then 400 watts of LED to out do a 400 Watt HID. I know this to be true.