How to install PC fans to a grow box?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Parallelism, Nov 29, 2009.

1. I bought some 92MM KWI PC fans. I was wondering if anybody could give me a step by step instruction or a previous post on how to install 'em.

Any help would be amazing.

2. i would say either take apart a computer and look at the fan construction for yourself or look up some exploded views of the inside of a tower to see how the fan is mounted from this you should be able to mimic the way its mounted and apply this to your growbox.

3. You'll either need a power supply from a computer with the attachments to hook the fans up to... or some power converters. Power converters can be purchased at Radio Shack...

Look on the PC fan and if it says 12V then get a 12V power converter and strip the wires and hook them together....

If you have multiple fans I would suggest getting a power supply from a computer store with plenty of fan hook ups.

4. Yeah, I have 6 fans. Where can I get a 12v power supply? I tried my power supply in my old computer (that still works) but I hook everything up to it and it does not work. The power supply that failed me was a 300v Max Watt or something like that. So where do I get a power supply that I can use and will work?

5. How To: Jump Start A Power Supply (PSU) / Test A Power Supply And Components - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

This will show you how to jump a power supply. Basically jump the green wire with any black wire in the 24 pin connector. This tricks the psu into thinking the computer is on and will supply 12v.

If you will never need the psu again for a computer you could also just cut the connectore off and twist the green & black together or put in a cheap toggle switch so you can shut the fanson/off easily.

You can also check your junk drawers for power adapters. I have a drawer full of old ac adapters from electronic equipment that I don't have anymore or forgot what they go to. Just check the label to see what voltage they supply.

6. ac>dc 12 volt converter is basically a cell phone charger you prolly have millions of them laying around in a junk drawer some where just make sure the charger says 12v.

7. WOW WOW WOW. I just tried this thinking "this won't work but I'll try anything". Needless to say I cut off that plastic piece that is long, tied the green and black wire together and it works perfectly! Best post on here I've ever read. Thanks!

8. I'm still in shock that it worked. I'm buying connectors so I can extend the length from my pans to the power supply tonight. This will enable me to hit ventilation from other spots of my large brow box!