Building a stealth PC grow case

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Low-Ryder, Mar 16, 2009.

1. #1 Low-Ryder, Mar 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2009
    Hi guys, I moved out of my apartment and I had to get rid of my growbox. So here goes!
    I'm doing this mainly for fun. This isn't the best way go grow weed of course, but good for those who have space and money issues. In the end I will make a tutorial on how to make a PC grow case.
    The idea is to make it cheap and 100% stealth.
    For this project I will be using

1. a Chieftec Dragon series PC cabinet: 2f x 17" x 8"

2. Two 110 watt CFL's 6500 and 2700K

3. Paper/alu foil

4. Bubblewrap

5. Emergency blanket (works like Mylar)

6. Reflective tape

I'm not sure if I can fit a reflector in there, but time will tell.
    The PC case interior will be made in 3 layers. Paper/alu foil, then bubblewrap, last the emergency blanket. Sounds wierd I know but right now there is a new kind of isolation material for buildings that works like Rockwool and such, and I've seen people using it for PC grow cases. I'll check it out.
    This is how far I've got:

Big, ugly, unused PC case
    [​IMG]

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Lots of room for PC fans:
    [​IMG]

2. Nice start, cannot wait to see the finished product! That tower is huge btw, how much did you spend on it when it was new?

3. That looks really good so far. How tall is that case?

Good luck!:D

4. #4 Low-Ryder, Mar 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2009
    The PC case is 2 feet high, 17 inches long and 8 inches wide. It's a Chieftec Dragon series, and costed at that time about 150 Dollars.
    I updated the thread so people can read it right away.
    Anyway, this is how far I've got now:

This is the front of the PC, so this is the Intake. I'm not sure I'm gonna stick to this:
    It's glued and taped at the ends. Looks really Non-pro
    I'm looking for foam rubber. So this gotta do for now...
    [​IMG]

Glued the back, and on goes the Paper/alu foil :)
    [​IMG]

The paper/alu foil on!
    [​IMG]

Air intake on front:
    [​IMG]

First Layer done!
    [​IMG]

5. looks nice. once i get money, ill be trying one of those grows

6. i have a extra case laying around and i would like to try this since it will be my first grow attempt.

keep us updated on your build! subscribed.

7. i subscribed as well; im also looking for a small build and was looking at a pc case, so ill be checking on this regularly, hope everything goes well!

8. #8 Low-Ryder, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2009
    wow thanks for the subscriptions :)
    I checked out these cabinets, which I think is great PC cases to make a stealth grow. I like the idea with the blue Diode lights on the PC fan's. Coz I believe it camoflauges the light from the Grow light.

First one I would recommend is the Aerocool extreme engine 3T. Would remove the fan on the side though!
    [​IMG]

Second I would strongly recommend is the Aplus case (A+) cs-twin
    [​IMG]

Third of course the one I'm using. The Chieftec Dragon. The strong side about this case is the big space for fans and its cheap now.
    [​IMG]

Some of you may notice that some companies are already selling these cabinets premade as stealth grow cabinets and sell them for about 300-500 bucks a piece. (totaly overpriced in my opinion)
    They have recieved bad reviews. and most of the problems are too much noise, visible light leakage and such. The idea is to keep it stealthy right?
    In my opinion you should be able to make these cases ultimate to grow weed in. Using proper tools and supplies.

9. Good looking start! Your so right, I'd much rather build something of my own over paying out the a$$ for set case (which have horrid reviews) I really really wish I had a full size tower to funk with, there's so much more space in those. If you play on using a power strip, I'd suggest taking that old powersupply from the computer and just using the face. Also don't do like I did and make a horrid looking hole, wire it correctly so you can connect a pc powercord to the outside (that'd be pro!)
    Goodluck Mate! :smoking:

10. subscribed! i love pc case grows :p even started one myself back in the day...

the key is USE LIGHT TRAPS.... light leakage sucks. and very hard to get rid of.

11. Hey mates, will upload pictures soon.
    But I'm curious, I'm having problems with light leakage. Can you recommend any light traps? or how to make one?
    Cheers mate :D

12. Alright, here is the first photo! :D
    [​IMG]
    Later I added a extra fan and a digital Hygrometer :)
    The plants are doing fine!

13. idk bout that light bro the plant on the right might start growin left to try to reach for the light which wouldnt be good

14. sweet looking setup! how many days are those from sprout?

15. Well, thats why I covered the whole box with mylar looking sheeting. I Was afraid it would do that, but apparently it hasn't... Lucky me I guess

BigV: To be honest, I lost the count on how many days it's been. Mostly because I've been busy moving out and stuff.. But I would say about 3-4 weeks :)

16. nice man, I have yet to see any bad reviews from pcgrowcase thats where I got my cases and they work perfect, I have 2 afghan kush ryders floering and 2 powerplant x rudi germed.

17. Cool mate, Do you have any light leakes or stuff like that?
    show us some pictures :)

18. thats awesome man, that picture really shows the benifits of using a tall case. How are you diggin the single big cfl?

19. There are some in my grow journal, I am unable to take more till I get a transfer cable for my camera. I let my mom borrow it and she lost it. But All there is for light leaks are out of the back where the fans are. I do not think I would put anything on those because I wouldn't want to hinder the flow at all. That flow is super crucial to maintaining the temp inside. I live in FL and do not have the air condition on yet so my inside temps in my apt run about 78 and I have my boxes running at constant 84 no real fluctuation. I thought about running some kind of light catching system but I really think it would mess with the temps.

20. #20 Low-Ryder, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2009
    Oh well, I'll probably figure out a way to get rid of the light leakes.
    Anyway, new pictures!!!:

Not sure what this is, I'm guessing some hotspots burning the leaves :(
    [​IMG]

Second picture is of the babies :)
    Both of them are female and growing big and strong!
    [​IMG]

I gave it a thought, and this is the fourth week. So four more weeks to go and it's chop chop time! :D