Iceacool's Wallcave - Stealth Grow Room Suggestions [HI-RES PHOTOS]

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Iceacool, Dec 27, 2008.

1. #1 Iceacool, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
    I recently discovered this awesome completely hidden space inside the walls with which I have decided to use as my first grow room. Below there are pictures of the hidden setup along with my ideas on what is to come. I'm going to keep this thread updated with pictures and reports on the construction. Scroll down and check additional pages for more recent photos.

This journal will cover construction and supplies. I'm starting a new separate journal to document the grow.

Finished grow room features:
    Grow Method: SOG with LST
    # of projected plants: 3 or 4
    Strain: Bagseed (first practice grow)
    Lighting: 4x Daylight CFL + 1x Soft White CFL (veg) and 4x Soft White + 1x Daylight (flower)
    Air movement: Computer fans and oscillating fan on plants
    Ventilation: Computer fans intake/outtake from unused air duct (see pictures)

Pictures:

Nothing out of the ordinary here...
    [​IMG]

Just a shelf...right?
    [​IMG]

Slides out of the wall
    [​IMG]

Peeking into the grow room
    [​IMG]

View of the main area
    [​IMG]

Left side of the grow room where the ventillation system is going
    [​IMG]

Right side of grow room where plants will go
    [​IMG]

---------

So let's hear your thoughts on the room. Any comments or suggestions? I m going to try to start growing shortly after the new year.

2. That is a sweet space! Wish I had a nice little nook in my house. It's that damn efficient New England construction, no space wasted. Just make sure you put in good odor control cause you don't want that venting through the house. Good luck with your grow.

3. make sure to disinfect that area...and lay down something to keep critters and fungus out of the groww.

but other than the possibility of over heating or critters, thats a sweet room... i always wanted a secret room...did you cut into that wall to get access or did someone show that to you???

4. That's what I love about this area. The room is on the top floor of the house, so heat (and hopefully smell) will just rise up under the roof. There's even enough room for me (6'1") to stand up in the highest spot.

[​IMG]

We re-painted the room about a year ago and the painters cut the caulk around the edge of the cabinet to paint. I just recently gathered enough curiosity to try and open it up. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised to see an awesome room before my eyes.

5. awesome. damn thats cool. finding a secret, usable space in your house....sweet.

6. All right guys, update here. I've come into possession of some light reflectors that will hold the CFLs. I've brought two to the location and have three more that I'll get later today or tomorrow. I used some aluminum tape to make a small reflector out of card board too which will be used in the final setup. Things are shaping up nicely.

I also started germinating my seeds yesterday evening (used paper towel method) so I'm projecting early planting in a day or two. I'm going to start out with (hopefully) around 10 seedlings which I will cull eventually down to my 4 or 5 best females. My plants shouldn't get more than 30" tall at their highest point, which hopefully will produce a nice yield with LST.

Pictures of the germainating seeds (kinda) and my new reflectors below.

Seeds germinating inside a cut-out book.
    [​IMG]

New lighting materials
    [​IMG]

7. thats a really STEALTH GROW ROOM man!!
    really cool place!! haha! well good luck for your your growing, i'll be watching you.
    and dont forget, each plant should get 50w - 100w ! :smoke::smoke:

8. #8 Iceacool, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
    12/29/08

I spent most of this morning and afternoon gathering supplies with my buddy. Stopped at Home Depot, Target, petsmart and party city.

I now have all of the workings of a functional grow, and I'm ready to take the plunge.

Pictures below show how the room looks now. I also checked the seeds and three out of about 10 have sprouted in 48 hours.

And of course... Pictures!

My current stash of grow items.
    [​IMG]

This is my light timer. Not gonna be used for a while as I will be vegging 24/0 for the first 10 days or so.
    [​IMG]

Picture of my pH +/- and testing kit, as well as activated carbon for a DIY filter.
    [​IMG]

Next is my temp/humidity display. I'll get a shot of these every time I do an update.
    [​IMG]

I have a total of 6 light reflectors with 6 daylight CFLs to start.
    [​IMG]

And lastly, my puppy, because he sits on the stairs funny.
    [​IMG]

I've also covered the ground with plastic sheeting, the walls will follow suit soon. I bought Mylar to line the walls but forgot it in my buddy's car, so no shiny walls for now. I'm going to try to list out all features of the grow at this point:

Features:
    6-lamp 60w CFL setup with reflectors and adjustable height rig (more than enough light for 4 plants)
    Miracle gro organic soil (it was a last resort, I would have gotten straight organic if they had it, does have the right N-P-K ratio though)
    Ionic Breeze-esque device (filters odor)
    4-plant final setup
    pH balanced water
    Carbon filter odor control

So here's my problem now: It's the middle of winter, so no stores around here stock fans to put on the plants. As of right now I have no means to move all that much air throughout the room. I'm sure it won't be a big problem for a while, but I need some fans!

9. get some y adapters and put two bulbs per reflector, then it'll be really loaded with light!!! also CFL's put out more light on their sides than straight down, but i guess the reflectors should help compensate for that, looks great, cant wait to see it in action!

also, i dont think the ionizer will be enough for 4 budding plants, i would look at sealing the room (maybe consturct a grow tent out of some pvc and tarp and hook it up with a nice fan to a carbon filter)

good luck!!!

10. I like your puppy. And the room looks really promising, i will be watching this thread for sure. Good luck your way.

11. Cool space, someone had a secret area like that not too long ago, forgot who it was... but they had like double the room you did!

Ive never had anything like this in any house ive ever lived in.. luckies!

12. Thanks Rasta! I'm graced by your presence, huge WTM fan here.

Also: Update

The grow is starting, and I'm transitioning to a new thread soon, but it's worth posting my seedlings as well as the semi-completed grow room.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's some bud too, for good measure. White Rhino.

[​IMG]

13. Thanks bro, nice nuggage there..

::Grabs a chair::

14. nice room! cute pup! nice bud! good luck!!!

15. What with all the burn marks on the wood studs and the roof insulation near those copper pipes. Are they going to put out insane heat and cook your plants?

16. Ya really need to protect those pipes somehow so you don't accidentally bump into them... that'd be the last thing you need. :eek:

17. I had thought that too, but I believe it's torch burn from when the pipes were being soldered together. Trust me, it makes sense with the history of the house too.

18. way to go man +rep

19. Hey. I love the Idea and space. Just some thought's.....

Safety is a main concern that needs to be addressed in any grow situation. THis is the reason for this post. THere are some safety issues here.

Unless you are a plumber or have a friend that is, i'd advise against that spot. Also if you develope a leak back there it could be trouble with electricity (there are alot of joints back there. If you have an emergency and someone comes in they are going to be looking for those shut-offs. (even if you shut it off before calling for help, they have to make the repair and verify that it works) Then it's not so stealthy. If you choose to go against that, and not worry about any of it (I'm not paranoid, just overly cautious) then that space is great, but needs some work. I'd invest in some panda plastic and make a cell back there. Attics (crawlspaces and things of that nature) are where pests and molds hang out, so it would be a good idea to seal that thing up (like I said with at least panda film) and I would make a shield for that outlet box for a just in case event.

If you really wanted to get crazy, take those shut-offs out and re-install them in another location, and then just sweat that pipe back together, then there would be no need for anyone to access that area, ever.
    Hope I can be some help, I am not trying to be a naysayer, just the safety police.

20. yea hit up the home depot and get some pipe wrap. it looks like a black pool noodle.