Wiring a bathroom light fixture to a plug?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by epic raccoon, Oct 17, 2008.

1. I recently purchased a 3-socket bathroom lighting fixture from Home Depot, and I plan on using three Y-connectors and a total of 6x 26 W CFL bulbs.

My problem is properly connecting the lighting fixture to my power source, which I want to do via plug (because I will plug it in to a timer, which will be plugged into my power strip). I cannot have a ground prong on the plug because the timer only allows for the standard two.

The lighting fixture has two wires, a white and a black.

Is there a way for me to wire this into an extension cord, or perhaps there's a safer way by purchasing other parts?

Thanks in advance!

2. Sorry i dont have any answeres but i have the same question. I found this outdoor flood light with a 200w cfl in it and it has 2 wires sticking out of it. White and black also. I was wondering how i can hook this up to an extension chord. I thought you would need 3 wires. the 2 confused me bc it says 1 is a ground, so why is there only 1 other wire? Weird to me...:confused:

3. Well, I consulted a friend who is rather knowledgeable in electrical matters (but is short of an electrician), and according to him, it doesn't really matter which side wires to which.

However, he added that it's a good idea to connect white to the stripped wire (if you look closely at the outside of an extension cord, one side will be smooth and the other side will be ribbed--the ribbed side is the stripped wire).

4. before you go and start messing with electicity. potentially starting an electical fire, lets get the right parts.

when you buy a fixture for a house that needs to be hard wired it NEEDS to be grounded. usually there is a single screw painted GREEN. Pick up one of those 25' orange cord. when you cut into a cord like that it should be clearer. also, get a timer that uses the ground prong(MUCH SAFER LESS CHANCE OF FIRE).

Upon cutting open the cord, you will find white, black, and green. strip the green wire and affix it to the fixture(the green screw). strip the white wires and use a wire nut(colored plastic wing nut type component) to safely connect them. do the same with the two remaining wires.

when you hang the fixture make sure that the charged cord doesnt hold ANY OF THE FIXTURES WEIGHT. you dont want any exposed wire around the garden.

be safe in your choices and have fun:metal:

5. i have a bathroom light fixture that has a white wire, black wire and a ground strap. I have a 2ft extension cord. When i strip the wires what will the ground strap wire too? im just running the fixture right to the cord

6. trf, you need a real extension cord with 3 prongs. That strap can be unbolted and then you attach the green wire to that point. There are wiring diagrams in SMOKEITDOWN's thread near the beginning.

7. got it working thanks now i need bulbs