$15.00 carbon scrubber at wal mart.

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by fearthebug, May 14, 2008.

1. Activated Carbon: $5.63
    Panty hose: $0.33
    Large pencil cup: $3.48
    Small pencil cup: FREE! (somehow it didn't get rung up)
    Black duct tape: $2.97

all that plus whatever the small pencil cup would be & tax comes out to around $15.

now here's what it looks like...

The supplies:
    [​IMG]

Place 1 legging over large pencil cup. I taped the end so stays and looks nice.
    [​IMG]

Drill holes in the bottom of the small pencil cup and pull the hosiery over it like you did for the large pencil cup. (I didn't tape this one. I suppose it's entirely optional.)
    [​IMG]
    Be careful when drilling holes in the bottom. the mesh cups aren't that strong and will crack. Happened to be, but i repaired it with the duct tape.

Then fill the large cup with carbon until the smaller cup will match the height of the large cup. Then fill in the sides (I recommend bending a piece of paper and using it to funnel in the carbon). Then stuff it with the cotton. All you need now is a fan to blow it into and a cheap clamp to hook it to whatever ventilation you have set up.

[​IMG]

I'm sure this has been done before, but I haven't seen a thread about it. Better suited for the smaller scale growers.

ta-da!
    [​IMG]

2. pretty neat.

i like the design

3. that owns. thanks for the rep, btw. fight club is pretty much the shit. so i searched your name to give you =rep and this came up. Great guide, i think ill actually do this..

4. hahahaha thanks man. here's some shelves i made that i'll be mounting in the corners of my box to place little fans on. put weather stripping on the sides to minimize any vibration from the fans being mounted to them. sucks cutting this by hand, but that's how george washington built his grow cabinets back in the day, so that's how i'll build mine. manifest destiny!

[​IMG]

this is how they'll fit.

[​IMG]

5. Hey bro great guide and + rep to you! one question, how efficient is this? I am gonna be growing 2 large plants in a grow cab and I am thinking of going with a paid Carbon Scrubber. Do you think this would be appropriate for me? You can find my thread here for a little bit more info if needed or here . Thanks again mate.

6. it's possible for a cabinet of the size you're using. also depends on the plants genetics (the smell emitted from them). just not sure how often you'll have to change the carbon. i used about half the jug to make the one in the picture. if it ends up being too small, they're not too hard to make. this one just happens to look a little nicer.

7. that first picture messed with my head. i was like.. thats how they gonna fit? mindfuck.

8. hahahaha yep. just cram all that stuff into one container and BOOM! instant scrubber.

9. + Rep Man!

I am using this idea on my grow box. Actually found everything I needed, except for the carbon. Is it okay to use the carbon padding? Like the replacement filters for HEPA Filters? Walmart has a box of "Replacement Carbon Material" that looks like it will work. If so, wouldn't this also make it so you don't have to use the Panty Hose, since no carbon would fall out through the holes?

10. Awesome idea man, I think I'll have to use it:D. I got a question though.. why do you drill holes in the bottom of the smaller cup? Do you drill holes in the larger one as well?

TiCkEr

11. great idea man.. im sure this could even become scaled up for larger applications

12. i drilled holes so air could also escape directly through the carbon as well as through all sides. basically, trying to open up more surface area. i left the outside one solid to keep the strength and stability of the finished product. i basically tried to scale down a larger filter design with items readily available.

13. Great idea, im wondering if anyone has tried using carbon from a fish store? You can buy carbon in different sizes and its fairly cheap too

14. Nice setup dude :hello: I was thinking maybe using net pots to do the same a 6" and a 4" :confused:

15. I do not, But it seems it would be fees-able and effective it should last a few months a couple at least.The only thing I am not sure about is how long the activated carbon will last .Hopefully fearthebug can elaborate on this :D

16. Awesome. I'm still in the planning stages but this looks great. I'll post pic's once it's installed on the new box.

Much Mahalo

17. Just wondering, how wide (diameter) is the lip of the large pencil holder? If it is 4 or 6 inches... that is perfect!

18. Do you have to have air pushing through this or can you just have this chill somewhere in your grow box?

19. i think the main purpose is to have a fan pulling air through it. Im sure you could hook up some pvc and put it wherever though.

20. Awesome job!

just set mine up, how well and long does it "clean" the air?