Cheap & Simple growroom Automation! UK

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by RichardM2319, Dec 3, 2007.

1. I'm looking into growroom automation AND security with home automation as a sideline - all using one system attached to the PC's serial port - or USB maybe.

I got the inspiration from Growtronix - A system which is very similar to the one I'm going to build.

It will consist of a number of sensors and switches (temperature, humidity, solar intensity, window & door contact switches, PIR motion sensors and eventually pH and CF, maybe dissolved oxygen content sensors too). Each of these 'modules' can be connected in any standard network topology (daisychain, star etc.) simply by connecting them with Cat5 network cable. The cable will need a bit of rewiring so it's easier if I make my own.

I will write the software - I'm no programmer but have some limited experience and have been assured by various sources that the programming shouldn't be too difficult to get to grips with.

I will be using a low spec PC to run the software to test it's capabilities on a slow machine. It is connected to the PC via a small serial to RJ45 connector or using a master hub with multiple RJ45 channels.

The PC (The Master) will continuously monitor whatever sensors or switches are attached to the system and use a number of relays to control various aspects of the growroom. For instance, high temp switches on fans, low temp switches on a heater, lights can be controlled by the PC rather than those temperamental mechanical timers, window,door and motion sensors could send SMS message when activated, flood sensors could do the same. Couple these with a couple of webcams and a seure server and you can do it all. I also hope to produce a module that can sense the temperature, humidity and solar intensity all in one.

I hope to have all the parts necessary to start building the system this week and would like some input as the project progresses. Also, I hope to be able to manufacture these devices once I have sorted out any bugs and have everything working perfectly. It would seem to have a demand - especially if they're cheap enough! I reckon I could sell them for around £20-£40 per device. You could have a whole system measuring temp, humidity & solar in two zones with a couple of other sensors for just a couple hundred quid - including a crappy old PC!

Anyway, I'll shut up now [​IMG]

2. Hmm, you could even have a pc at your home as a server for downloading the software so you could save on having to buy cds and burn them then ship 'em. I think it would be a great idea as long as they were very reliable and accurate.

Could you immagine if we all had these, in ten years growing could be as easy as feeding/ watering when we are told to.... that is, unless you have that automated by then too : )

A res that you fill with water at the beginning of a grow and it waters automatically the whole grow??

3. I would like to follow your progress in this. I am a computer science major and thought up a system like this... It would be very simple to write a JAVA program using the editor NetBeans.

The beauty of writing it in java and using netbeans is that you are using open-source software, which is essentially free.

To write a program like this, some fundamental knowledge will be needed. I think you will need to develop your own device driver to interface your java program running on your computer, to your physical hardware (the heater, the fans, lights, webcams, etc).

You COULD do all thsi with an embedded system, around one of those cheap microprocessors that you can do anythign with (I dont know any particular models, just that they exist). You can program these with Java by flashing it.

But on the other hand, it would be easier to integrate webcams and SMS if done using an operating system like linux (which you should use for stability and flexibility)

I would love to develop a system like this.

4. Spot on my friend - I was planning to use Java for that exact reason. I figured that I could provide downloadable software and scripts for the novice. The expert would probably write their own or base theirs on my scripts. Links to download the Java JDK and the Netbeans stuff would be on the site and a number of instructional documents also. Well, that was what I've been thinking anyway.

Like I said before, I'm no programmer but over the years I have dabbled in various languages like basic(80s), Pascal (School,90s), VisualBasic, the .net studio, and I've tinkered in electronics although no expert at that either. I am educated to A Level in computer science. Basically, I'm a bit of a 'Jack of all trades - master of none"! I'm trying to learn all the time and have done a shitload of research into this so hopefully I'll be able to accomplish it without too much help.

I also considered a standalone system which could be setup using the PC and then put away to control your room/house/garage or whatever. I reckon I could produce a box like this for around £50. The data should be downloadable to the PC for graphical representation of the information. Also the CCTV system would only be suitable for viewing on a PC.

Thought about linux, but will develop for that at a later date as Windows is the mainstream operating system in use today and that's what I use so makes things a lot easier.

5. Yet another advantage to using Java... easily portable to mac, windows, or linux :hello:

How are the plants going to be grown? If its hydro theres so much more automation you can add.

6. Spot on again - the system will primarily be based for use with hydroponic systems and feature some modules that would only really be suitable for those systems. I will also be thinking about modules which suit the non-hydro grower - maybe a soil moisture sensor, i dunno, but you're right, hydroponics are perfect for this kind of thing.

Most probably be more hydroponic growers will interested in this than soil growers - they seen to be of a different mindset ... maybe it's just me?? Soil growers tend to be more keen to do things the natural old fashioned way, whereas hydro growers are keen to use technology in their growrooms and make it as efficient as possible.

7. What is the scale of use? Are we talking about a small crop? The larger it is the harder it is going to get consistant results throughout your crop.

Also, you should take into consideration the fact that machines do break down, and new programmers make mistakes.

Certain aspects of the grow would be better off done by hand... For example pH. It would take a complex program and complex system to automate trial and error pH balancing.

8. I've got about 9m2 floor space in my flowering room, and about the same in my veg room. I grow approx 16-20 in my flowering room at any one time - a few mothers and clones in the veg room.

Looking at the space now, I'd say less than that - probably about 5m2 each.

9. Well, just to update y'all...

I'm waiting on most of the components and materials I need to start putting together a sensor and the serial interface. I've just been in touch with the state-side supplier and the order is now in the 'processing' stage? I can't make much sense of most these online tracking systems - first it says PREPARING? then it says PENDING? now it says PROCESSING? What does all that tell me ... feck all!

Anyway, i have pretty much all my gear - soldering iron, solder, helping hands, anti-static mat etc - ready to go! I'm just waiting on these other few bits.

I will begin by building one sensor, the interface and making them talk to each other.

In addition, I bought a few small project boxes (58x35x21mm) a couple of days ago and with a few holes in the lid, I think will be perfect for containing at least the smaller sensors such as temperature and humidity.

I also picked up something called Plasti-Dip - it's a spray on rubber/plastic coating and can be used for all sorts of applications. I will use it to waterproof my circuits.

10. I would Suggest you look into X10 systems. They have basically everything you described above, but you don't really need to do any extra wiring. Some of their things will work through the power lines.

11. I don't know how much you have looked into X-10, but the mains power lines are just how the system works - no wiring at all, then again it didn't work! Also, it doesn't do eveything described above as they don't feature any sensors, especially for things like pH and cF - it ain't gonna happen.

I've looked into X-10 systems in the past and found them to be unreliable although I will think about incorporating them into the system as an additionally supported technology.

I am speaking from experience and I have a large number of X-10 appliance switches and a serial interface to hand - just gathering dust.

12. It seems like all you would have to do to accommodate larger crops is to have more sensors with each sensor array corresponding to a different set of lights, feeders, fans, etc.

As far as PH goes, you might just have to PH the water before you put it in the res, but after that it would take care of the watering and such.

13. Well, it's Christmas and I was hoping to have this bloody project well underway by now, however, the package has been seized at customs this side of the water for VAT purposes so once I pay the VAT (only about £25) they will deliver the next day! I will sort this out ASAP but suspect it will have to be the New Year now.

I've received the webcams, hub and extension cables for the CCTV system so have made a start on that. The cams are wicked. By that, I mean they seem to be solid sturdy well built units and the actual camera part is only about 1.5"x1.5"x1.5". They also feature 6x Infrared LEDs for night vision - please note when purchasing webcams for night vision that some feature normal LEDs designed to light the area it is capturing on vid rather than provide infrared light.

I bought five of these little buggers and have positioned one near the PC covering the entrance to my grow, one covering the vegetative grow room and one covering the flowering grow room. Each one is set to detect motion in it's entire field of vision and record for a minimum of 30 seconds each time motion is detected. At the moment, the webcam near the entrance is also set to send a pic via email when motion is detected - it will eventually send a SMS text message too. The veg cam takes a still jpg image every 30 seconds too as i am hoping to try a bit of time lapse. I have a problem to overcome with the flowering cam though - the light is too bright! Way too bright!! I only use a single 400W Grolux lamp, but it burnt one camera out before I even used it!! I will have to mount a lense off a pair of sunglasses to protect it. I have also covered the infrared LEDs on this unit to prevent any unwanted light (isible or not) upsetting the flowering cycle.

None of the webcams are set up to sound an alarm when motion is detected so any intruder will not know they have been spotted.

The software I am using is 'Cam Wizard' - I downloaded the trial and am considering paying for the full version as it seems to do all the things I need - including ftp, http, email etc. Google 'Cam Wizard' for loads of download sites.

COSTS (Roughly):

5x Webcams..........£25 (1 broke so around £6 per camera)
    1x 7-port USB Hub..........£7
    2x USB Extension Cables (3m & 5m)..........£6.50

Here is a pic of the webcams I am using. They are simple, compact, good quality and well-made.

Attached Files:

14. java will do it, but don't overlook ruby on rails.

It's real nice to use and is also open source.

15. Never heard of Ruby on Rails before, but just had a quick look at their website and it looks promising - especially if it is easy and open source as you said. It seems to be that Rails is a base system for Ruby (which runs 'ON' Rails).

As I've never heard of it, are you able to tell me the benefits over java & netbeans as that seem to be the developers' choice? I just wonder if a) it's far easier than java and anyone can pick it up in no time or b) if java would be a better solution due to the number of users alone?

Are you experienced in RoR? If so, I may be picking your brains in the near future... :D

16. Paid the VAT earlier on the package from the states, I estimated about £25 (taking into consideration unreasonable fees etc.) - It was £36.xx due to some ParcelForce Charge! Unbelievable! Anyways it's paid and they should arrive tomorrow ... um, later today!

:p

17. good luck man..sounds like a cool idea

18. OK cool, got my package from the states and have finally begun construction - some practical hands on rather than just theory! Also got the RS CD ROM now and their website is back up and running (kind of... it's intermittent!) so I've sourced almost all the components I'm going to require for the various units, however, on my first visit to the RS warehouse shop I discovered that I can only purchase over the counter if I am trade :(

It seems I can place an order online for collection as I am registered, but I can't 'just' drop in... I have a business that I can register with though and I only need a letterhead apparently so I will do that when I go down to collect my items.

I'm going to insert here some of the results of my brainstorming over the last couple of weeks - please give your opinion...

I have decided to use the 1-wire bus as the basis for the system due to its simplicity, it's inexpensive compared to other methods and can be used over longer cable lengths.

The system will consist of a number of modules/units that can be built up individually to suit the users specific needs or purchased in a package format ie. starter package, ph control package, nutrient control package, etc.

As far as I can determine, there will be three main types of module...

1. Controller Module - Each system requires either one of these to function.

Option 1. A Core Unit which has RF capabilities (ie. remote shutdown and remote unlock via RF keyfob) and does not need a PC to operate, although a computer will be required to program it....OR....
    Option 2. Serial interface - requires always on PC connection. No RF functionality.

2. Sensor Modules - Each system can include as many of these modules as required. The modules below are the INPUTS to the system and provide all the real-time information to control the OUTPUTS.

Humidity/Temperature/Solar Module *
    Liquid Temperature Module *
    Moisture Module *
    * These modules could be combined with a relay unit to operate appliances like fans, pumps, humidifiers, etc.
    pH Module **
    TDS Module **
    ** Use these in combination with the Peristaltic Pump Modules to dose your tanks
    Ionisation Sensor Module [Fire] ***
    Flood Warning Module ***
    Motion Detector Module ***
    Door/Window Status Module ***
    *** These modules would ideally be used with the GSM Module for sending text alerts when something could be wrong.
    Float Module [Detects current water level]

3. Control Modules - Each system can include as many of these modules as required. The modules below are the OUTPUTS to the system and are operated by the core unit/pc based on real-time data from the INPUT Modules.

Door Lock Module
    CO2 Doser Module [would require additional equipment eg. co2 tank etc]
    Relay Module [Four 13A sockets - No hard wiring]
    GSM Module
    Peristaltic Pump Module *
    * Combine with pH and TDS Modules for complete nutrient maintenance and control.
    Water Valve Module **
    ** Toying with this one... Control the flow of mains water - designed for use with the Float Module.

Other accessories required to complete the system...

Cables to connect between modules - Necessary.
    Hub - May be necessary depending on requirements.
    Power Injector - Some Modules require an extra power source. May be necessary.
    RJ45 Coupler - May be required to extend cable lengths.

I will be looking for help with the following in the future ...

Building a suitable standalone unit (The Core Unit) that will be able to store a number of days worth of data, send sms messages, maybe act as a web server too?? Help on this will be much appreciated.

I am looking at various pH and TDS sensors - any help with this.

May need help with Netbeans & Java at a later stage.

Does anyone have any contacts within the industry ie commercial growers, grow shops, I thought it may be an idea to contact someone like Growell or another large retailer to see if they may be interested in funding the development of the system in return for some exclusive distribution rights or something?? In any case, I will be needing help with distribution, marketing, I can build a good website, packaging, pcb manufacture... ah! there's a question mark - Anyone who can help with pcb manufacture... would it be cheaper to make my own or get em made n China or similar?

... if you think you might be able to help in any way, please message me, add me as a buddy - just get in touch.

Also, anyone wishing to invest some capital into this project is more than welcome to get in touch.

19. If you are successful in collecting the data, I'm sure I could find some way to display the info dynamically online... Imagine it, you're away for a few days and wonder how the plants are doing. Log in, authenticate to a secure server, check the water levels. Too low? Tell the water control module to release a few liters from the main resivoir...

Godspeed with the project.

20. I've been thinking about the online side of the system recently. I started wondering if it was necessary at all but then I thought that maybe an online control panel could be put together to allow complete remote control. Originally I thought it would be a good idea to provide real-time webcam images on a secure server to allow users to check things if they receive a text alert, but now the webcams have taken the back seat (mainly cos it's a seperate system to the sutomated units) I think an all round online application that allows total control would be the way to go.

I want the system (actually in the growroom) to log all data (obviously), be able to present any of it in a graphical format, display current data 24/7, log all commands - automated processes need to be logged so you know they have occurred eg. 400W HPS on 12:00, Nutrient Heater on 12:06, Pump on 12:30, Pump off 13:00, Nutrient Heater off 13:49, Nutrient heater on 14:22, Pump on 15:00, Nutrient Heater off 15:30, Pump off 15:30 and so on...

It would be useful to be able to control all the aspects of your system remotely and securely and in particular, check that everything is working properly, however it is a feature that is more a luxury than a necessity.

If the system is in place and working correctly, the need to fill your nutrient reservoir remotely shouldn't be neccessary as the system would or should've detected low water, topped it up to a suitable leel and balanced the pH and TDS values too.