My closet growroom design and log, suggestions welcomed

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by fizzle, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Well guys I have been planning to do this for oh say 2 years and now finally am going to do it. I am pretty noob with all this and would appreciate any tips and suggestions. I'm going to be updating this as much as I can and am probably going to buy a decent cam this weekend.

Here is what I got:

1 closet 42"W x 8'H x 45"D

The room is actually 12' tall but that would be nuts so I decided to put in a new ceiling at 8'. I had to remove the old drop down ceiling cause it was pretty old and these old houses have a tendency to drop old plaster dust through any cracks you have in your ceiling. To solve that I am going to just put up some plywood and trim/caulk that.

Under the new 8' ceiling I am gonna mount my 6" inline fan (about 440cfm) to the highest back corner, somehow. I don't have a carbon filter anymore but I do plan on making my own this time and it will hang from the ceiling somewhere.

I do have a question about the best way to sequence the whole ventilation system. I plan on only having only one inline fan, a home-made cool tube, and a home-made filter.

Should I have the fan like so:
    Exhaust Hole >> Inline Fan >> Filter >> Cool-tube
    or
    Exhaust Hole >> Filter >> Inline Fan >> Cool-tube
    or does it even matter?

Does intake size really matter? If so do you think 6" intake is large enough for this closet?

Other equipment I have is:

Mylar & plastic sheeting
    400watt hps/mh light
    42watt fluorescent bulb (is that good enough for cloning/veg?)
    home-made DWC systems with pure blend pro nutes
    White rhino nirvana seeds
    Basically I have everything I need but meters and a carbon filter.

Do I need to check ph and ec or do i also need to check tds? Can you guys PLEASE recommend me a good reliable meter. I had a control wizard but it broke. I'm thinking something under $150.

The water in this town is heavily nitrated. What do you guys do to prepare your faucet water? I suppose i can go buy some jugs from the store but if there is a better way let me know!

Well I'm out for the night, thanks for the help!

[​IMG]
    *I messed up on the gfx, The fan is going under the new ceiling not on top
    I will list more later and take pics very soon.

2. sounds to me like your on the right path, theres a lot of homemade setups,,, sort of just like yours there,,, just search the archives,,,,

any grow cab. is gonna have its bugs, that youll have to sort out as the grow goes on,,,,, right now im having a little ventilation problem,,, with getting my hot air out of my ''room''

good luck with your build!!!!!!!!:wave:

3. I was going to run mine like this
    Filter > Cool Tube > 4" Vortex > Exhaust hole

4. Any particular reason? I would have thought it better to have the filter right before exhaust hole but i was just guessing.

5. Well I'm using a can filter so it only has one end open. The air is sucked in through the side so it has to be one the end. This is the type of filter I'm running.

6. Oh duh, that is the only way to do it i suppose. Thanks for the input. I will be uploading some more pics soon. I have completed my vegg cabinet. It is made from 5/8" MDF and about 30"x24"x3' with 2 120mm exhaust fans and fluoros. I have finished installed my ventilation system into my closet, will have pics soon!

7. sounds, like your on the right path,,,,, im sure your cab. will turn out, '' sweet''!!!!!!!:p

8. I finally got a camera and got some pics to share. I ordered seeds exactly 9 days ago from Nirvana, and they got here this morning. Talk about speedy shipping!

I ordered some White Widow and got a free sample of South Africa Durban Poison x Skunk #1.

[​IMG]
    My veg cabinet is complete, just need to clean out my dwc systems and get it all installed. I also still have some weather seal to seal some of the light but it is really no concern since it will have light 24/7. I will probably just throw a blanket over the entire thing and put a plant on top of it or something to make it less noticable.

9. [​IMG]
    here's the front of my veg cab
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is the exhaust system for my veg cab. It is a state of the art 350watt psu and 2 120mm fans. :p

[​IMG]
    my closet door i put some sheet rock on the inside to help block the sound. my 440cfm inline fan is pretty loud but it is unnoticeable now. as you can see i put some wood and weatherstrip along the bottom of the door sill to block the light and also i caulked all the cracks of the room/door frame to make it air tight.

[​IMG]

here is my 440cfm inline exhaust. the exhaust goes up the ceiling i put in and into the intake of the house heat/ac. works out pretty good cause it just sounds like the heater is running. i'll probably get a fan speed thermostat or make one if i can find a good guide.

I am also waiting of a cool tube to come in and a 24"x8" carbon can filter.

[​IMG]

Here is my intake. I just cut a hole in the wall and ran duct to the ceiling above my stairs. It truly was a pain in the ass to ventilate this closet cause the walls were plaster and old as shit and the back wall come to find was a chimney so it is brick. The floor is at least 4" thick solid oak.

As you can see I have a lot to do yet. Still need to mylar the closet and put some plastic sheeting down. I have all sorts of things coming, meters and shit tons of nutes/supps. Stay tuned!

10. damn. nice job,,, good way to pat attention to detail.+ rep. to u!!!

11. Very nice job. Only one small suggestion, smooth down the Mylar. I had much the same problem when I first put the Mylar in, in my case I used a staple gun to hang it.

You can look at my cab photos to see the difference but basically I used spray adhesive and them smoothed it down with a clean paint roller. Came out very nice.

12. The mylar i have on hand is only 1 mil, it is really to flimsy to even work with. What kind of spray adhesive do you recommend? THanks.

13. Just whatever they had at the hardware store. My says "Duro" on it. $2.50/can.

14. the mylar '' hanging'' is a future job of mine, and i know its going to be a headache. i dont know about the spray adhesive, because it dries quick,

and if you got wrinkles, theyd problly be a bitch to straighten out,

that 1 mil. mylar as ive read is thin and flimsy! im definattly getting the thickest stuff i can find,,

your the first actual account to its '' hard working'' that ive read.

oh well grow and learn right!!!! be cool, i stop in your thread often, i just dont post each time>>>>>;)

15. You're on the right track looking pretty well thought out, i am digging that Veg. Room and how many plants do you plan on putting in your flowering room?? Just curious. Other than that Great Funkin' Job!!!!!!!!

16. I have 3 - 3gallon dwc bubble tubs each with 2 5" netpots. So to answer the question how many plants would be 6 at a time. That number will most likely change as I learn more.

Here is what I have:

SM-90 1 Liter
    Cal-Mag 1 Quart
    Superthrive 4 oz
    Liquid Karma 1 Quart
    BioNova BN PK 13-14
    Hydroguard 1 Quart
    Pure Blend Pro Grow 1 Quart
    Pure Blend Pro Bloom 1 Quart

I am not sure how much of each to use but have found some info online. Correct me if I am wrong!

Veg:
    Superthrive - couple drops per gallon
    Liquid Karma - 10ml/gal
    Hydrogaurd - 15ml/gal
    SM-90 - 3ml/gal
    Cal-Mag - 1ml/gal
    Pure Blend Pro Grow - Add to desired PPM

Transitional (week 1 & 2 of 12/12)

Basically, everything is the same, except use a 50/50 mix of PBP bloom and grow base ferts. I used to switch straight to bloom formula at the onset of 12/12, but I used a transitional formula of Botanicares "Triflex" series this time around, and definately am having much lusher growth as a result.

Flowering (weeks 3 - 6)

Start Canna PK 13/14 @ .75-1ml/liter
    Stop Superthrive
    Hydrogaurd - 15ml/gal
    Liquid Karma - 15ml/gal
    SM-90 - 3ml/gal
    Cal-Mag - 3ml/gal
    Switch from veg/bloom mix to PBP Bloom - Top to desired PPM.

Finish (weeks 7 & 8)
    Stop Canna PK 13/14
    Hydrogaurd - 15ml/gal
    Liquid Karma - 15ml/gal
    SM-90 - 3ml/gal
    Cal-Mag - 2ml/gal

Please post your own recipes too

Also I have a reverse osmosis water filter on its way. They run anywhere from $150 to $450 or more but I took my chances with a $100 one off ebay. I will post how it performs.
    [​IMG]

17. yay! someone else with wrinkly mylar! I'm leavin mine all messed up, it might form a few "hot spots" but i doubt it will be anything overly bad.. other than astetics and even light spread i dont see a real reason to sweat straiting mylar (please correct me if there's something i dont know!)

Looks good man! if you havent built yoru buckets yet, take a look at these, your gonna want more root room i think. your call tho! i'm a total noob!
    bucket build
    http://forum.grasscity.com/general-...bucket-step-step.html?highlight=bubble+bucket

18. I am doing two plants, each has a space of 5 gallons, and if your 3 gallons are for vegging plants, i guess that's good, if vegging and flowering i suggest you need more room.

19. 5gal buckets will be full of roots by the end of a good grow.
    still is plenty of room, but u might need to add a control bucket later on as u can get a lot less nutes in.
    the bubblers in the link are ok, but u don't need 1/2 those connectors etc - imo is just more places to leak.
    Keep it simple ;)

Attached Files:

20. Crap, I figured 3 gal bubbler would be okay for 2 full size plants. Looks like I will be investing in some buckets. Seems to be the best route anyway. Thanks for your input.

I was thinking of doing the biobuckets but will wait until i learn more. So pretty much each full size plant should be in it's own 5 gallon bucket or else root bind is a problem?