Long Time Smoker, First Time Grower

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by Menyahs, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Ok so I've been smoking this stuff for quite some time. I've sprouted seeds many times in the past with the intention of growing but never followed through with it. About 6 months ago I moved to start my new career and no longer have any of my own connections, so I havne't been smoking much. :confused: Well i got some a couple weeks ago and had a some seeds so I decided to finally grow my own. Also as I'm still building my income i'm trying to do this on as low of a budget as I can. Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. they need to be in seperate containers man.

they're still small enough to seperate.. just dig them out with a teaspoon in a 2" diameter around each plant. Dig down deep enough to get the whole taproot intact. Should only be a few inches long at this point..

gl be careful

3. Thanks dude, was just readin up on what you've been doin. I've read that they need to be separated. I was trying to wait until they got a lil bigger and keep the healtiest one. I don't want to have to have too much light as i live in a condo and don't want to throw any red flags at the power company. Also i know i need more light utimately also. Thanks for readin

4. np man.. you'd have to have a pretty giant setup (multiple 1000w lights) to have the power company investigate.. unless you stop paying them lol.

the problem with waiting too long to separate them is the roots get longer and get all tangled up with one another which is something you definitely don't want to happen.
    best of luck,

peace
    AW

5. Ok Aw separated them all up. Roots are still pretty tiny :( Also i noticed that one is turning a little yellow, and the biggest one is getting a little brown on the tips of the leaves. I also remixed the soil, The yellow bowl is the potting soil with nutes. The back two have a little of that but mostly organic cactus w/o nutes and the front one is just the cactus stuff. Is the discoloration from improper PH or what? I'm going to order some nutes and some ph adjusters but i just want to make sure i don't kill them. Also it's very apparent now that i need at least twice as much light.

Attached Files:

6. Ok so i finally found some more weed. Smoked it. . . and thought i would post. So i doubled my lights, now have 4 CFLs 26w = 100w equivalent each. Also go a timer to keeps things on 18/6. Also got a hydro/thermo meter but the sob didn't come with batteries. I'm concerned about the pH though i need to order the pH pen, Up and Down, and some Nutes, probably gonna go with foxfarm. I thinkin i'm loosing one plant, that's gonna put me down to 3 out of 5 germinated. Hopefully the ones left will be fairly good genetically.

7. OK so they've gotten bigger. One was looking really good was just a cluster of leaves. I think i've overwatered it, at least i hope so. One got burned pretty badly when my light fell on it and i wasn't sure if it was going to start growing again but there is new growth and it's looking good now. The third plant is doing pretty well with no problems. It's the largest by far. I haven't yet order and good nutes I think this would really help with grow at this point. really only want to let them veg for like 2 more weeks, maybe a little longer depending on size. Still need a proper cabinet also, Saw a good plastic one for sale at wally world, probably go back and get that this week. Also still need to get something to monitor and adjust the pH.

P.S. the pictures are in the order of what i described above . . . If you couldn't tell :confused_2:

Attached Files:

8. Ok so it's been like 10 days since my last post. I ordered some Fox Farm Grow Big and Big Bloom, as well as some pH test and adjust solutions. I think i've gotten the pH balanced around 6.5 went the cheap route and didn't get the pen so i don't know exactly. Anyway my problem is that they have hardly grown! I've looked at other peoples journals and they have had much more growth than I have in the same amount of time. I realize i'm just using bag seed but still. The one that was all wilty before got better then yesterday went back and looks like it did in my last post, soil was dry so I don't think i'm watering too much, so i flushed it and all the other ones to see if that helps with the growth. If anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated. I'll try to post some current pics later tonight.

9. I guess my grow isn't very interesting at this point, mostly me talking to my self. Oh well. Anyway no pics yet just had a min in between appts thought i would update on my problem. The flush seemed to do the trick. Wilty looks a million times better and the other two seem to be doing much better also. Will post pics when i get home tonight.

10. Ok so here are some pictures about 24 hrs after i flushed them out. Like I said it did the trick and the all look much much better. Also I sprouted a couple seeds the other day so that I can have a couple more to harvest after I get the bigger ones done, out of like 8 that germinated only two took, i like the soil get too dry and the small ones didn't make it. I do plan on cutting at least one clone maybe two from the ones I have once i sex them. I want to be able to be able to supply myself without having to rely on the few place i can sometimes get it. I do plan on ordering some seeds in the future and grow a couple quality strains. Plant pics are in the same order as above.

Attached Files:

11. Might be time to start thinking about a bigger home for your babies.

12. I know the yellow bowl has got to go. It is just temp I am going to seperate them soon don't want to roots get tangled. I actually think i had a casualty yesterday morning. The damn light fell down again and landed on my second best plant and fried it. It was like completely smashed. Trimmed everything except the bottom two fan leaves. Was going to give it like 24 more hrs to see if anything starts growing from it. :(

13. I have a question for anyone experienced who happens to be observing my progress. Is it normal for the plants to start having an odor bfore flowering? I do not yet have my cabinet setup, they are just growing in one of my kitchen cabinets so i just leave the doors open. When I come home i am now greeted by a slight weedy smell. Not like full blown bud, but has a slight skunky smell. Is this normal or just wishful "smelling" on my part?

14. Yeah, they can smell before flowering. The first plants I grew indoors would smell like coffee from time to time. This skunk#1 has been smelling since she was a baby. When I would trim a leaf from her or mess with her in anyway (like LST) a nice skunky aroma would be smelled.

15. Sneak thanks for the input. Well finally yanked the charred remeains of the one plant and repotted the bigger of the two seedlings in its place. The other two are looking very health and starting to develop pre-flowers. I still feel like they should be a bit bigger at this point. I guess it's been about a month since I put them in good soil and under light. And like 5-6 weeks since germination on the two bigger. Germinated 5 plants originally and am now down to two. Just pray they both turn out to be female. have some company coming next weekend and am going to have to relocate them to my outside storage closet temporarily. Probably going to switch to 12/12 on the two larger plants while they are out there and then move them back into my cabinet w/ air scrubber so my place won't reak.

16. Ill be keeping an eye on this grow, curious to see a first time grower, i want to start this summer, seems like a good idea.

17. This Hobby is getting rather expensive. I guess in the long run it is going to pay off many times over (i hope). Just ordered an activated carbon filter and inline fan, as well as some Mango seeds from marijuana-seeds.nl. Now I just need a cabinet and that should be it. lol. Leave it to me to do this completely backwards. I guess this is what happens when you can't find any buds to smoke, hopefully i'll be able to find some this week. Prob going to need a couple more cfls also to be able to have a flower cabinet and do some veg in my kitchen cabinet that i've been growing in. I can't wait till these puppies get to flower. 2 more weeks.

18. Holy Crap I can't believe it's been 3 weeks since I last posted. Well the garden lived outside in a dark closet for like 8 days. I couldn't get the lights setup out there so it messed them up a little. All is good now though, they are back inside and have been on 12/12 for 6 days. Had 4 plants going but ended up losing the larger of the younger plants, now have 3 total. The little one is going to get it's own setup soon so it can stay on an 18/6 light sched. I looked real close and i'm sure it's too early to tell but I think both of my bigger plants are going to be female, I'll post some new pics tonight when i get home.

19. Ok here are some pictures of the two bigger plants. The discoloration on some of the leaves happened after i brought them back into light after a week of darkness. Oh also don't know if i mentioned it but i got my fan an filter, so far just having the filter next to the plants cut down some on the smell but i need to hook up the fan now as the smell is getting stronger. The fan is awefuly loud though, Does anyone know if like a dimmer setup would slow it down and make it quieter?

Attached Files:

20. Since I enjoy talking to myself so much I thought I would make a quick post. Got my seeds in the mail today. Ordered some Mango from marijuana-seeds.nl, also got 5 extra seeds they sent. Put two of the mango and two of the misc. seeds in paper towels to germinate. Hopefully since its from a breeder they will be healther and grow better than my bagseed. Plus it's nice to order then you can pick out exactally what you want.