2nd Grow! New Updates Daily!

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by HiTCheR, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Well, I'll start by saying first grow was a complete success. Out of about 30 seeds that were germinated about 20 of them opened up and cracked over the course of a year, I managed to successfully harvest 8 females yielding a pound or more.

The interesting thing about this Second Grow is that it will not only be grown from seeds produced during the first grow, it will be a variety of different strains. You see, I cracked each seed at different times of the year (to ensure Perpetual Harvest). The males that grew side by side with the females were not pulled (by accident I assure you) until they had already pollinated (dusted) the whole crop. After pollination the females went to work on producing seeds.

As far as I know this is my own strain. The breakdown of all the different were -->

BC Hydro
    BC Big Bud
    BC (Bagseed)
    and an unknown BC strain my friend gave to me as a seed.

I'm thinking that I have mixed these four strains together to form One or Two other really good strains. I will continue to cross this strain with other strains god willing.

thus making a super strain?

2. While smoking my bud (harvested and air dried for 7 days) I began picking out the seeds, just fooling around in my liesure making a 'seed collection'. Twenty-Nine hours ago I put twelve seeds into a plastic container with moist paper towel and Glad ClingWrap over it to keep the humidity in.

Just looking at them now I see that at least four seeds have CRACKED but no roots have penetrated the shell as of yet.

Currently I'm thinking that I will be growing outdoor. I want to LST so that I have 10-15 massive colas at the top of each branch.
    I will be keeping this thread updated daily for your viewing pleasure as well as the fact that I won't be doing much else while waiting for the second harvest.

3. Ok, I've germinated the seeds and the roots have grown to a size I am comfortable with as to planting them in soil.

I'll be doing that right after I take a few pictures and show you :D

8 out of 12 seeds cracked:devious:

[​IMG]

4. I'm going to re-use the soil from my first grow. I added a variety of different soils to it and it seemed to have done a good job (grows good bud)

I gave each seed its own styrofoam cup. Here is a picture
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. I was able to get some more lighting in the growbox for the seedlings.

I now have one 27w (Equivalent to 100w Daylight Spectrum) CFL
    Three 18w daylight spectrum flourescent tubes.

I have the tubes approximatley 1.5-2 inches away from the sprouts (monitoring very closely so they dont burn)

These sprouts are unlike any other that I've seen before. They are seeds that I harvested from my first grow. They are a cross between BC Big Bud and some random (really really good) hydro. I originally had nine seeds germinated but after planting them in styrofoam cups one of the seeds didnt sprout.

6. The first set of leaves are literally double the length of the previous sprouts. I'm hoping this will turn out to be an awesome strain. I chose to grow these seeds because a female from the first grow was covered in PURPLE hair and I got quite a few seeds from it, the sprouts are fat, thick and dark green. I'm seriously thinking about LST'ing these babies before I put them outdoor. I'll be tying each stock to the ground when they get out there, I hear that if you do it this way, incase a thief comes and yanks the plant out of the ground the rope on the stalks causes all of the bud to pile at their feet. I'm going to purchase some outdoor cameras to monitor the grow area. I'll be preparing the ground by Rototilling it and adding a blend of soils and organic nutrients.

*Note to self

It'd be a good idea to dig up some small trees or bushes and make a wall around the grow spot for added camoflauge.

7. Looking inside the room today I see that all of the sprouts have produced their 2nd (full set) of leaves currently working on the third. I looked and looked but I can't find my camera. I'll get some pictures updated asap.

Please reply :)

8. I was away from the grow for a few days, off in my own world smoking and drinking. When I came back the soil was really dry. The plants were doing well though. They have a healthy, dark green color. At the start of the grow the stems were a dark red colour which made me uneasy. When i looked in there today they were starting to turn green.

I can't wait to get my camera working to take some pics. Hopefully that will get done today or tomorrow.

I adjusted the lights, raising them about 25 centimetres away from the top of the plants to stretch them a little tiny bit. My idea worked and on February 28th I lowered the lights two to three-and-a-half inches away from the tops. I'll be making room in the box to add another 42w warm white spectrum when they grow a little bit more.

QUESTION:

By adding warm white or any kind of spectrum light promote female development? It would be nice to add a special kind of spectrum in there and get all 8/8 females (im using flourescents only in this grow until i put them outside)

9. Well... they're all still alive.

I noticed last night in my sleep that there was some sounds coming from my growroom (temporary until i plant them outside when the snow melts) I grabbed the axe that I always keep in my closet and headed in to find out what was going on.

When I entered it sounded electrical... not good. - I opened the curtain to the main room and I saw red sparks shooting 5-6 feet high out of my powerbar. I bolted it to the electrical circuit breaker and shut down the power to the house.

I went back in when i was sure everything was cooled down and found that one of my lights had a serious issue with one of the tubes. After chucking that whole unit (except the tubes) in the garbage i went to work on redesigning the grow space.

So now I'm using:

Two 2700k Warm White CFLs
    One 5600k 18" Cool White flourescent tube
    One 27w 5600k (equivalent to 100w) Cool White CFL

Its a shame, I really think those two extra 18" tubes were doing most of the job.

The last few days the plants have been drooping (all of the leaves drooping) I'm noticing a lot of purple on the bottom of one of the leaves - i think it is phosphate deficiency. Mostly all of the plants have yellow tips with slight browning. This to me looks like nutrient deficiency and i'll be adding 1/2 of a dose of 20-20-20 ALL PURPOSE FERTILLIZER to see if that helps.

I hope this helps, this is MY strain and it'd be whiped off the planet if it doesn't :(

10. After posting last night I flushed all 8 plants with 2L of water.

I decided the grow room may be a little bit cold and since I'm to cheap to run the heater for them I decided to move them into a warmer room.

They perked right up.

11. The weather is suprisingly nice out the last couple days, but i still choose to wait before putting the girls outside.

I made a mistake, as soon as they sprouted and developed a few leaf sets, I started lsting. After a lot of research I found that the best way to LST is to let them grow to the 5th leaf set and then cut the 6th set off to top the plant, after the Y starts to develop from the main stem, take the two new branches and tie them down in opposite directions and make your way, tying the new growth around the pot.

What I did was wait until the 3rd node and then started lsting, so in fact i think i've already messed up the grow. But i will carry on hoping that the early abuse didn't trigger males and hermys.

I have 8 plants in total, during the week I repotted two plants that had been interwined in the same pot, the roots were all comingled so i fucked around with them for the longest time trying to untangle the roots in water, then they just came apart.

I have 7 styrofoam cups, and a larger pot = 8 plants

I'm running a:

27w DAYLIGHT CFL (its like a light blue colour)
    11w WARM WHITE CFL - its light red/orange
    15w WARM WHITE CFL - light red/orange coloured
    18w DAYLIGHT Flouro Tube - from 1st grow

I made holes in a cardboard box and installed the lights within, the box is roughly 2 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet ( Length x Width x Height )

Since i started lsting early, mostly all of the plants are working on new branches, 2 new branches per node, 4-5 nodes = 8-10 branches coming from each plant as of now.

I've released the pins that i was using to LST the plant, i will let them grow vertical for a few weeks until the new branches start to grow outward, then I will resume with LSTing the new branches only, and leaving the main stem to grow vertical (if it can ??)

I'm excited, in 6 months I hope to see 8 ten foot high plants so big you cant put your arms around them

12. Hey, i'd think they'd be a little bigger for being exactly 40 days old.

13. I've decided not to take this outdoors. Mostly because I don't have a good spot to do grow 8 massive plants (or 8 small ones for that matter).

All is well, i'm moving the plants into a closet where I'll continue to veg/flower.

This closet is about 9 feet high by 3 feet wide by 7 feet long (if you can picture it)
    For some reason it already has an electrical outlet installed in there so things should work out nicely.

I need some ideas, i'm tapped out. I want to cover the entire inside of the closet with tinfoil or a plastic tarp. (probably plastic)

I dont necessarily have a lot of money to play around with to make this grow perfect so I think holding off on the MH and HPS for a while would be better.

I GOT MY CAMERA WORKING:hello: So now I can take some pictures.

The twin plants that I seperated are progressing well. Since I lack space in the current growbox I could only transplant 4 of the girls. Anywhoo, I put them in 12" pots and gave them a nice watering. All eight are gettin HUGE!

14. I began LST'ing one of the girls again - as an expiriment lol

15. c'mon!.............. grow

16. the actual wattage worth of the cfl is what you use, not the equivalent. and incandescent lights don't do anything, you might as well save yourself a few bucks and take them out, they put off alot of heat too. your total would be
    18+42+42+15+15++27= 159W of usable fluro light. and pretty good for a 2x2 box, 40w/psf. babies should be plenty happy

17. Thanks for the advice Canabudz,

Silly me, i should have waited!!! Over the last three days I've been working on germinating 30 more seeds - i dunno why, just stupidity. I dont have room for them, nor enough lighting, so what i think I'll do is put maybe 5-6 plants in a big blue storage container and start out on my first closet scrog.

The rest... well hopefully they stay small enough for me to LST and sex in my closet, then I'll kill the males (smoke em or make tea) and downsize a little bit.

You know, as wierd as it sounds I'm actually hoping for a few males this go around, then i can sort the male from female and get rid of em

Any comments are very much appreciated.

PS: I painted one coat of primer on my closet last night, it should take another coat of primer and then I have some Semi-Gloss white paint that I'll apply to the walls (*to get a nice reflection and use less tinfoil/mylar

PPS: Mylar is expensive!

18. Aaaaaaaand!

I measured the dimensions of the closet with my trusty tape measure.

3 feet wide 5 feet long 8.5 feet high

Give me some ideas on how I can cut down on the size of the room (eg. Cardboard boxes with tinfoil/white paint)

And anything else you can think of :p

19. 15+13+23+27+42+42+18= 180 approximate watts of flourescent lighting

And at last, a true breakdown (got bored so i went and checked on my lights)

15-Warm White
    13-Warm White
    23-Soft White
    27-Daylight (blue)
    42-Soft White
    42-Soft White
    18-Daylight Flourescent Tube

20. By all means, get to it!
    We're ready for the pictures!

If you claim your plants are bigger then mine, you'd better provide us with pictures!:poke:
    Besides, any grower who meets two foot high red sparks in his growbox, needs a proper camera to record the event and entertain us all.;)