My First Grow & My New Room

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by MightyBuddha, Dec 4, 2006.

1. So I finally finished constructing my grow room. The dimensions are 9FT X 6FT X 7FT tall. The 400 MH/HPS (with both bulbs) is on it's way as is my hydro drip system and seeds. While I was waiting for the goodies I germinated (paper towel method) several bag seeds that I had lying around. Weed source for seeds varies from mids to real good dank/headies (strain unknown). Well low and behold 8 seeds germinated and my equipment was still not here! So I went ahead and started a temp soil grow to get them all sprouting. After that I will have to transplant them to my hydro setup (should be here this week). So this is more of a trial run than a first grow leading into my first grow but what the heck. I have pics of my room and the ghetto setup until everything arrives. I plan on building a cabinet within the room for cloning and then possibly divide or expand it for a veg room and flower room... we shall see! I will update frequently so any advice on anything and everything I am doing, should be doing or should not be doing is appreciated. Thanks!

PICTURES:

Before construction :)
    [​IMG]

Looking from outside the door into the new room.
    [​IMG]

Buddha watching over my grow room
    [​IMG]

The temp lights until the 400MH/HPS shows up. Of course one didn't work right out of the box.
    [​IMG]

My papertowel inside of tupperware under a warming light setup.
    [​IMG]

Seeds... sorry they are blurry!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Temp setup
    [​IMG]

Amazing really... LOL
    [​IMG]

So now I guess I just sit and wait?
    [​IMG]

The Mighty Buddha!
    [​IMG]

2. For those that are wondering... the block wall and window back up to a crawl space that I may use for venting the exhaust. Also, the ceramic heater is set to 74 degrees and humidity is holding at 60%.

3. Also, what is the optimum size for growing about 6-10 plants? It is still quasi-finished because I am trying to figure out if there is enough room to make veg and flower areas. My goal is a balance between timing and yeild. This is strictly personal use but I do smoke a lot. A lot for me I guess I shoulda said... about 1/2 per week.

4. You're going to want to get those CFLs a lot closer to those cups until your new light comes. Other than that I'm pshyched to see your grow. I wish I had an area as big as you for my grow. Keep us posted on any progress......

5. Well 4 of them sprouted through the soil... will post pics after dinner. As the ebayer who sold the hydro kit hasn't responded to some bad tracking info I have no idea when to expect the system. Soo I went out and bought some proper top soil and perilite (sp). I was using nutri-soil from walmart which I know is wrong! Also, the light showed up... it is 400 watt MH. How close do I want it until they all get growing? Lastly, one of the buds I was puffin this weekend has a few seeds so I just germinated those. :-D

6. Thanks for the replies... I moved the CFLS down some (see pics below). Also, at what plant height/development should I kick over to 400W MH? It showed up today! Also, I swapped out shitty nutrient enriched soil for top soil with perilite. A few sprouted but I lost a few seeds in the moving process... oh well got some more seeds from some nice weed this weekend germinating now. WHERE THE FUKC iS MY HYDRO SETUP???!?!?? DAMN EBAY.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Big Plans, Big Plans! I like your room so far. I use a 400w MH/HPS switchable setup myself. You are going to be very happy me thinks *nod* I grow in soil though and you seem to be off to a great start. A couple of pointers and nothing is ironclad, it's all about the odds and how different strains behave but for max benefit, seran wrap the solo cups to seal in moisture till they sprout. Your bagseed sprouts look very strong which is great but sometimes, seeds die off if you let the root get that long before planting, especially if burried too deep. They just run out of energy. Usually, plant them soon after popping and you see a tail and then no deeper than 1/2". You are going hydro anyway so it's all good :)

You want those CFL's 1" at most from the tops of those sprouts or else they will stretch as the lights are too far away. I use those short flexible table stand type fixtures for sprouts from walmart, pretty cheap. Anyway, 4-5 days under the CFL's and they are ready for the MH. Start out with it 3' above the tops and lower it 3" or so a day till it is 18" - 22", you have to learn how the temps are and how the strain is. Eventually, if you have the temps under control you may get it down to 16" but 18 - 22 is fine. I like the mixing sticks under the cups for drainage. Very smart idea.

Do you have a pH checker yet? You'll want one. Search for 'Hanna pH' on ebay for ideas, mine was 7$. Since you are taking the leap into hydro, you'll want one that checks ppm too. There are alot of growers on here that know hydro who can help as I like soil and am clueless with hydro more or less. Well, nice room. Kewl Budha too. :)

8. I got all the goodies on the way.... pH meter, TDS meter, nutrs, etc. I wanted to plant em earlier... I waited because I didn't have any setup. Went with soil because Ebayer hasn't sent me the fukcin setup yet!

9. I'm thinking of keeping a mother in soil. What type of nutrients do you use for soil grows?

10. Well, I have tried a few soils. Promix is my third choice, It is a good soiless mix but the pH is 5.5 so you have to adjust it by mixing in lime. Plants will still grow ok with it but won't reach max size. Second choice is sunshine mix #4. Good stuff with no need to tinker with it. The best is what I now use but you can only get it at a hydro store or online. Fox Farm. It is the best brand there is short of mixing up your own. I add in a bag of wormcastings which is great stuff and fert with bat and seabird guano. Search Ebay for 'Guano' to get the idea. You'll want square pots for keeping Moms as they need root trimming a few times a year and the cube shape makes it infinitely easier; just shave an inch off all sides and bottom and repot with new wormcast heavy/rich dirt.

Edit: Dirt maybe hard to find as it is winter where I am but my GF likes gardening in general and bought these little 1 gallon bags of dirt from the dollar store and I was AMAZED at how black it was. You would just need to add perlite but something to consider if found.

11. wow man.. nice setup your gonna have. GL to you!

12. Get those lights closer! About 2-4 inches from the top of the plant! I go about 1 inch! You dont want any stretching early on!

13. So the hydro should be delivered tomorrow. A bunch more seeds germinated and my White Rhino and Cali Skunk both arrived. Going to germinate them as soon as my rockwool arrives and has been soaked. I added another light to this setup...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. I'd go ahead and put the 400 MH one them; I did it with no fucking problems

I have switchable digital air cooled

15. Ok so the hydro system showed up! I am soaking the rockwool now and will start to germinate some of the nice seeds today as well.

[​IMG]

16. Got the hole patched (I think) and got the new light setup. Good seeds are germinating and rockwool is soaking. Tomorrow I will plant them hopefully.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Ok so I germinated 4 California Skunk and 5 of the unknown Free seeds from seed bank. Not totally sure on the procedure for this germination chamber so any advice welcome. I am covering the top of the chamber with some paper towels to keep it dark.
    I switched to a different camera that had macro mode and took some pictures of my test bagseed soil grow. Two of them haven't grown any new leaves they look kind of stunted. Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Sweet grow dude I will deffinately keep posted where did you get the hydro system though it looks sweet, and how many gallons is it from the looks of it between 30 and 25 gallons am I right

19. Yup it is thirty gallon container. I bought it off ebay and planned on copying the design for seperate veg/flower areas. It is pretty simple, just a matter of getting the right plumbing parts. My ebay seller was a little slow - two weeks to get the unit.

20. Ok so I germinated the good seeds in this new germination station (lid off for pictures). Came home tonight and they all grew some! Can't wait to get these guys in the hydro setup. My soil plants grew a little bit but not much change....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]