First Grow Documentation (pics)

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by blood_on_snow, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Ok here we go, maybe my documenting my first grow will help other newbies get started.

Day 1- Begin germination
    Day 2- 3 seeds germinated (change soil)
    Day 3- 4 more seeds germinated
    Day 4- 0 seeds germinated, 2 sprouts

Thats it so far, here's some pictures of my lil' babies.

Attached Files:

2. Are you planning on adding more lights as more germ/ sprout? I am really starting to like these types of sprout setups. Keep us updated.

3. Day 5- 0 Germinated, all sprouted (woot)

youngandstupid- Hey thanks for posting. Yeah I already have four 48"-fluro lights setup to put them under when they grow a little bit less vonourable. My entire setup is gonna be those lights (Kitchen&Bath and Plant lights) plus any CFLs that I add later on in a 100sq ft closet. Hopefully I'll find a place that sells mylar so I dont have to rely on flat-white paint and white trashbags for reflection. I think my worst problem is the insane light leakage from the closet doors which doesnt make it easy to hide when my gf's over. Anywho...Take a look at day 5!

Pics:
    Top- The first two that sprouted
    Mid- A birds eye-view
    Bot- A closeup of one plant

Attached Files:

4. May I assume from the wet soil in your pictures that you water every day?
    If you do, don't.
    Baby MJ is very sensitive to overwatering.
    It messes up the roots.
    Fungus, algea, decomposition and insects are also stronly promoted in wet soil.

5. Oh no I water every other day and just enough to keep the soil wet/moist until the next watering. The last time I watered them was yesterday, think I'm overdoing it?

6. Just got done clearing out my closet, disinfecting and putting up the new lights. It's still not nearly enough for these babies but I'll work on it. That and I need to go and buy a 3 prong timer since the one I'm using is only 2 it doesnt work with the big fluros. The plants are starting to bend toward the grow light, should I go ahead and move them under one of the 4 foot lights and keep it at 24/7 until I get another timer or will it be ok for a day or two until I get my ass to the store?

pics:

Top- Left side of closet
    Mid- Middle of closet
    Bot- Right side of closet

Attached Files:

7. You shouldn't keep the soil moist. It should dry out, giving the roots a blast of oxygen as they grow to search for water. I water when the soil is bone dry, or when my plant starts drooping for water, whichevre comes first. Usually no less than 3 days. In flowering she drinks more so time is reduced, but I just go by the soil.

8. Hey man whats the wattage of the light you have over the plants ?

9. KEEPONTOKING- The wattage on them right now is a 20w, but the 48" ones are 40w and I have four of those. Plus the CFLs I'm gonna be adding once I find enough sockets and those are two 7w bulbs (Yeah I got them for free so why turn them down) and a 20w. How much light can I put them under at this point in their grow stage?

KamelRedLight- Thanks for the watering tip, I'll try not to overwater them anymore. Please help me out if you have any more tips, I can use all the help I can get.

10. YES!
    Rule of the thumb is to stick your finger in the soil about 1 inch.
    If soil sticks to your finger after you've taken it out it's probably not dry enough.

11. urgr8estfear<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1255822", true); </SCRIPT> - Oh ok thanks, I'll make sure not to water them today just to keep everything on track. I'm very bad at telling if the soil is dry so I might just stick with watering every 3rd day instead of every 2nd.

Day6- 0 Germinated, added 20w CFL

Pics:
    1st- Humidity reading
    2nd- Thermometer reading
    3rd- The new setup
    4th- A closeup of the bending plants
    5th- A closeup of two plants

I decided to add a CFL because the plants were starting to stretch out and bend towards the fluro grow light. Altogether now it's probably about 40 watts of light.

Attached Files:

12. Day 7- 0 Germinated, all plants healthy

Things are looking good so far, no yellowing or anything from what I can tell. I'm something like halfway through their vonourable stage right? If I can make it through this than I should be able to keep them healthy through their lives if I keep up my efforts. I'm gonna be getting mylar in soon so thats gonna be nice. Oh I'm working on making my closet light leak proof with this chrome duct tape I bought the other day. I still have alot of taping to do but it's looking good so far. I cant wait to put them under the 4 foot tubes and start adding some real light to them. I got a new timer because the other one only worked with 2 pronged plugs and I need one that works with a 3 prong. I'm trying my best to get the watering done right though it's gonna take a while before I can do it right.

Pics:
    Top- Progress on light-leakage
    Mid- Plants from top
    Bot- Closeup from side

Attached Files:

13. Day 8- New set of leaves showing on sprouts

Hey can anyone tell me why the stems on my sprouts are covered in white hairs? I dont remember seeing that in other sprouts.

Pics:
    Top- New set of leaves
    Bot- The hairs

Attached Files:

14. It's ok, it's just a little fuzz. It happens.

15. Also when you water, it should be enough so that it seeps from the bottom hole. You should then check water runoff for PH. By having the water seep out you are flushing the old stagnate air in the soil and pulling new air in.

16. Day 9- Nothing new to report, all plants healthy looking and growing

bluebong- Hey thanks, I wasent sure if it was bad or not.

chimera- Oh ok cool. I didnt know I was supposed to pour so much water on when I water them. Atleast now I wont have to water as often. About the air thing, I saw on another grow journal some guy was using an air pump from his fish tank to pump small amounts of air into his soil. I have an old air pump laying around I was wondering if you thought it would be a good idea. as far as PH goes, do you know how much the testers cost? My budget is a little tight so anything over 50 is probably gonna be too much for me right now.

Pics:
    Top- Top view of plants (I'm holding the fluro tube back so you can see them all)
    Mid- Typical blurry closeup
    Bot- An interesting angleYou can really see how the plants are bending towards the lights

Attached Files:

17. Day 10- Changed lighting fixture.

I didnt like the way that fluro was hanging over them I decided to change it out with another CFL this ones like 42 watts.

Pics:
    Top- New setup
    Bot- Close up

Attached Files:

18. what strains are you growing? is it bag seed?

lookin good!

19. h4rk4t- Hey thanks for the thumbs up man, Little things like that provide alot of needed motivation. The seeds were bought from my usual dealer, he sells alot more than just weed and has been doing it for some time. So when I bought these from him I just took his word for it that their good. Hell, the stuff I buy from him is :smoke: . I'll ask him next time I see him what the strain is and I'll let you know. My only concern is that out of 20 seeds only 7 germinated. Probably just has something to do with this being my first time.

Day 11- Noticed yellow spots

Hey can anyone tell me why their are yellow spots (like somethings eating my plants) on their? I've used a good magnifying glass and I havent seen any bugs so I'm kinda wondering. I dont think it's nute burn because their soil is virtually nute free. I dont think the lights burning them because its not mostly on the plants closer to the lights.

Pics:
    Top- Yellow spots
    Bot- Close up

Attached Files:

20. Hey i like the grow, flo's are a fave of mine and urgr8testfear... it takes a bit more care than growing under a HPS or MH...

as for the things you are looking for i have some suggestions.

Mylar- http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunleaves-Mylar...1QQihZ009QQcategoryZ43555QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

pH meter- http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Accurate-Di...7QQihZ012QQcategoryZ20755QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Digital timer/power strip- http://cgi.ebay.com/Intermatic-8-Ou...ryZ67780QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i just got one of the power strips and they are the shit, nobody growing should be without one of these damn things!!!

Good luck with your grow!!!