Anyone from CO here? Need help with something....

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by HomlessCharlie, Nov 2, 2011.

1. #1 HomlessCharlie, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2011
    Hey all, Im fairly new around here but I thought this might not be a bad place to talk with some good people, so here I am. I'm a Michigan guy looking to move out to CO and wanted to hear some locals give me the whats-what. Michigan is slowly being strangled to death, the economy here is utter shit, everything here is on pause for a very large number of people. Including me and my forward progress in life lol sort of cheesy but true as can be. The point is, I'm leaving. I will eventually be a stand-up comic, but we have very few comedy clubs in the state and as much interest in it. A whole lot of stuffy, Christian Reformed people. Being a Medical Patient, my first thought was CO as I am a HUGE outdoors guy. I may not be Bear Grylls, but I've slept on the ice when it was -4 and I eat what I kill....so your mountains look good! I want to bowhunt more than whitetails, I want to know that there probably is Mountain Lion looking at me as I walk back from my stand, and that on any random day I might see a moose or something lol! I also want to smoke and grow my own without feeling like I'm living in a Bourne Novel everytime I walk outside to get the mail and a person makes eye contact and I just hear.... "everyone knows....." Thats living to me, and colorado looks like heaven.

So my questions are....

-How is the state doing in general?
    -Is the local economy doing ok?
    -Is there a lot of work available or is unemployment a problem?

I know that all this info is out there....hoping to get more realistic answers from actual people. And I dont feel like doing research anymore, my friend Jack the Ripper was here a minute ago haha now I just wanna read :)

Thanks for any response!

2. Dude, I'm not from CO, but check this shit out, was out there a couple weeks ago:

1.JPG

If I could get a job out there, I would go in a heartbeat. I hear Denver area can get pretty bad air quality though. All around the San Juan mountains is nice though.

3. BUMP

I'm in the same boat man, I live in ohio, go to school In Toledo, graduating in the spring with an engineering degree, I want to move out there so bad.

I would love to move to Boulder, Fort Collins or Denver. Just need to find a job.

Interested to see some people from CO answer

4. I am also interested. Seems like a lot of us tokers and MMJ patients have an inspiring outlook/view towards CO. I'm in IL now, ready to take a new path from the first 25yrs of my life, and start anew. Boulder, CO would be my Top pick if I knew of a specific job out there, and/or like-minded people for shared living arrangements. More info please from Native CO residents! Thanks!

5. Colorado's economy is struggling as well, but it doesnt seem to be quite as bad here as other places. There ARE jobs, but depending on each of your level of education, you may end up being underemployed/making shitty wages.
    I live just south of Denver, have since was four, and I truly believe this is the best state. All we need is a beach :D
    The outdoors are gorgeous here, and it seems like just about everybody has an interest in physical fitness of some sort. We're the healthiest state, only 10% of our population is obese.
    The Denver, boulder, and fort collins music scenes are pretty wonderful as well. HUGE nightlife/electronic/dance music scene here. Beta night club in Denver was voted #1 club in the US for 2010. I think it's #6 now.
    I have my MMJ card and love the variety, selection, and culture that exists here. Its newer and more professional than California in my opinion. I love it.

6. Marcus,
    Boulder is expensive and has a lot of pretentious, rich, "trust fund hippies" that are pretty skeezy and phony. Plus CU Boulder draws a lot of out of state rich kids as well. If you want true chill stoner culture, look into fort collins. Wayyyy more legit IMO.

7. Thanks for that, I was looking into Boulder too, Ill check out Fort Collins

8. Thanks HighChick. Appreciate the info very much. As far as the work area is concerned, I would just find a shitty construction job to start out, and then start hitting all of Denvers' comedy clubs. I want to be a stand-up, and everybody talks about Denver and its comedy scene. That would be my #1 reason for thinking Boulder/Denver. I will also do some looking at Fort Collins.

Thanks again!

9. To be honest with you, I've never heard much of anything about a big comedy scene in Denver, and I was involved in nightlife promoting for a while. But I'm also not even remotely an expert, in fact I've only seen one stand up comic here in Denver :eek: haha

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. No guarantee that I can answer them, but if you hadn't noticed already, I really love this state and don't mind talking about all it's great features. :wave:

10. Fort Collins is still a college town, btw. Colorado state university is up there.

Are any of you guys looking to go to school out here?
    And are you guys looking to live in Denver proper, metro area, southern Colorado, northern, mountains, etc?

11. I'm also planning on moving to Colorado, I'm actually driving out there from mn on Monday and staying til Wednesday. my first choice has been fort Collins but I heard they closed down the dispensaries there. So I looked into Boulder a little bit and it also seems like a great place. A little more expensive for housing though?

What is everyone looking for? I'm just trying to find a nice mobile home or town home for under a grand a month. I'd take an apt but it'd have to have washer n dryer in unit.

Anyways I can't decide wether I should live in Boulder or FC. I will be going straight to Boulder to visit because I have checked out FC already. Any advice in boulder?

12. NOT Fort Collins. It's cheaper to live there, but the city just banned all dispensaries in the vote this week. There are some in the county, but there won't be any new ones until 2014. Boulder and the county are just ridiculously expensive to live in.

And the economy is still kind of down here. Not as bad as MI though. Wages are way down and its tough to find a job paying what you're worth. Otherwise I love it here. It's beautiful and there's so much to do.

13. So is there a cheaper alternative to a city similar to Boulder or even FC? Those are the two main cities I see everywhere.

14. I liked so far what I had heard about Fort Collins. I don't want a huge city like Denver, but I also don't want something quiet like a ghost town. If FC doesn't have dispensaries though, then that doesn't seem to be the chill, stoner location I wanted.

I want decent cost of living, people around my age (so a college town would be a plus), mountains/nature is of high importance to me.... I've been putting some serious time into research and making this a reality. :)

Appreciate everyone's advice so far, keep it coming :D

15. If you like what you heard, then go. There are still dispensaries in the area, there just won't be any new ones until the referendum is over in 2014. No doubt they will pop up just outside the city limits, and its not that bad of a ride down to Denver to buy, 30-40 mins.

16. [quote name='"marcuseiselman"']I liked so far what I had heard about Fort Collins. I don't want a huge city like Denver, but I also don't want something quiet like a ghost town. If FC doesn't have dispensaries though, then that doesn't seem to be the chill, stoner location I wanted.

I want decent cost of living, people around my age (so a college town would be a plus), mountains/nature is of high importance to me.... I've been putting some serious time into research and making this a reality. :)

Appreciate everyone's advice so far, keep it coming :D[/quote]

I feel the same as you man. Sounds like we are looking for the same things. Denver is just too big and crowded but I definitely don't wanna live in small town usa. 60-120k ppl sounds about right, pretty much like Boulder or FC.

17. Also does anyone from the Denver/Boulder area know how easy or hard it is to find some bud when visiting? I heard it was easy in FC but not anymore since the ban.

18. No clue, I've never bought on the street, but I do notice that everyone has tightened up since the left coast raids started. You used to be able to find a caregiver on Craigslist, now there are zero ads there. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, I'm sure there were "illegal" deals happening with that, but it sucks for those who want to find a private caregiver instead of getting buttfucked by dispensary charges, especially since a large percentage of medical patients are on disability and just can't afford it.

Sorry, didn't mean to to on my rant, but a lady I used to work with has lupus and had to stop working a few years ago who can't afford the dispensary prices and now has bleeding ulcers from all the meds she has to take, but are the only ones insurance will pay for.

19. So people on Craigslist or with their mmj card probably wouldn't sell to visitors or people without the card? I hope that's not how it is but I feel like the ones who do have a card feel a little more empowered and we all know where that gets us..

But I don't know. I just hope to replenish on meds in Colorado and not be without them. High hopes?

20. You might get some from friends, but as far as dealing legally, or stocking up, probably not. I know as of July 1st, dispensaries can no longer sell to you just by showing your recommendation papers, you have to have red card in hand.