what great meals to cooking while camping?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by GillyTHEkid, May 23, 2011.

1. whats up blades,

im going camping soon, not camping in the mountains but by the beach. its a nice place called, cape helopen state park in DE. basically theres a campsite that is close to the beach (walking distance).

a few buddies and i are plannin on making the trip.

so i was wondering what meals are easy but tasty to cook? i will have a small gas powered stove about 6x6 inches so its nothing big.

ive never really cooked for myself but im looking forward to finally experiencing cooking haha

2. my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE thing to cook while camping is lamb.. don't know why, but i loved.. curried lamb is the greatest. making some smoked meats over night on a dying fire is great too. smoked fish is great too, just what ever we didn't eat from catching that day gets turned into smoked fish for the next day.

3. It all depends on how portable you need to be but chillis and stews are by far my favourite [and easiest] camping meals. You can make burgers too if you've got a heavy duty pan.
    I agree with scouter, smoking shit over the fire is excellent.
    Wrap vegetables [especially peppers, tomatoes, potatoes] in tinfoil and put em on a grill over the flames.

4. Bannock. The campers bread.

Videos

5. hotdogs,steak, onions , peppers, kbobs? beans, chilli , rice, smores

6. Bring nothing but a gun and fishing pool. If you struggle to kill and catch then eat earthworms, beetles, and roots until you do. Place bets on who's the biggest failure. Its more fun this way.

7. HAHA! sauce thats effin awesome! LMAO!

8. Honestly get a grill that you can put over a fire, and cook on the fire. You can cook hamburgers, sausages, pork, anything. Bring a cooler to keep all the good shit cold. Bring cut up veggies so you can just munch them with ranch dip at any time.
    I just went camping this weekend it was dope

9. Can't go wrong with a campfire. Hot dogs on a stick and smores are old classics.

10. Herbed chicken and veggies
    1 chicken cut into pieces [typically you get 2 each breast leg thigh and wings]
    1 bottle italian herbs [use 1 tablespoon]
    1 medium potato per person
    1 large carrot per person
    1 half medium onion per person
    2 stalks celery per person

1 4 quart soup pot
    1 grill

Set up your fire in a rectangle, The grill is over one half that needs to end up with good coal bed, the other half is where you set the pot.

Chuck the chicken, 1 tablespoon of herbs optional garlic. Simmer over the coals for about half an hour, until the chicken is mostly poached. Remove, swipe the grill with veggie oil when it get hot, set the chicken on it skin side down. Flip it when the skin starts to crisp up. Might flip it a few times to keep the cooking even.

While the chicken is poaching, wash and peel and chop the veggies into bite sized bits. When you remove the chicken pop the veggies into the pot. Let come to a fair boil and let it bubble away until the chicken is done. Serve either as a soupy veg mix or just fish the cooked veggies out and serve.

Crepes Benedict
    crepe batter:
    you can make it from scratch, or you can go easy and bring a mix. Practice at home until you can make crepes. There are [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIwwl2yn0-I"]youtube vids[/ame] on how to do it =)

Scrambled eggs
    Dozen eggs
    teaspoon of italian herbs
    4 tablespoons of milk, cream or water
    salt and pepper to taste

1 pound of bacon.
    Before you make the crepes, fry up all the bacon until it is nice and crispy. Remove the bacon and crumble it up, it is going to be eventually sprinkled into the crepes but if you fry it in with the eggs it gets yucky Pour the bacon grease into a mug. You will be dipping a paper towel into it and greasing the pan for cooking the crepes in.

Hollandaise sauce. Don't go nuts. I can make it in my sleep, and make it over a campfire but then again I have made gallons of the shit. Buy a few packets of Knorrs mix.

Make up the crepes while someone else scrambles the eggs. Have the hollandaise sauce already made or if you use the kind that comes in a glass jar, set a jar of it in a pot of fairly hot water to heat it up. Take a crepe, put in a line of scrambled eggs down the center, sprinkle with some bacon crumbles, roll the crepe up, I use 2 to 3 9 inch crepes per serving, blorp on some hollandaise, sprinkle with a few more bacon crumbles. Practice this at home a few times so you can get an idea of how much you will need of each for the number of people you have for breakfast.

Lamb Margali
    1 butterflied boneless leg of lamb.
    1 really big ziplok bag
    marinade in the zippy bag in:
    1 quarter cup lemon juice
    1 quarter cup real apple cider vinegar [not cider flavored vinegar]
    1 quarter cup of olive oil
    1 quarter cup red wine
    1 tablespoon of oregano
    1 quarter tsp black pepper
    1 half teaspoon of kosher salt
    2 tablespoons of dried mint
    1 teaspoon of thyme
    1 half teaspoon of tarragon
    1 quarter teaspoon dried rosemary

I normally make it up, squoosh it around to make sure both sides of the leg get covered and chuck it into the freezer. When I need it, by the time it is thawed, it is finished marinating.

What I then do is pat the meat dry, and with a paring knife poke holes all over it and shove in slivers of garlic and rosemary leaves. I then take a mix of leftover rice pilaf, fresh baby spinach leaves, some pine nuts, a couple cloves chopped garlic and a small onion chopped and roll it inside the leg and tie it off with cooking twine.

Roast like you would with a regular leg of lamb.

Serve with rice pilaf, a box mix is fine. I like to make beid hamine, lemon or onion pickles, grilled baby zucchini, little stuff like that and serve by making a base of the pilaf, surrounding it with the little noms, and arranging the sliced lamb in the middle on the pilaf.

[cant find a recipe for pickled onions online: peel the onions, cut into thin wedges but still held together at the root. In a jar put the onions, enough apple cider vinegar to cover, a tablespoon of honey and a mint teabag that is just mint, no tea leaves per onion and shake. Let soak for at least overnight. Does not need refrigeration as you eat them pretty much immediately]

[When I camp at Pennsic I cook in a fitted out firepit, with this type of stuff. My roomie is a blacksmith and makes it. ]

11. All of that sounds excellent and delicious but to me, that defeats the spirit of camping. It's about getting back to and enjoying nature, escaping the concrete jungle and daily grind, simplifying life for a short while. Camping should be simple and basic, a chance to connect with your more primitive side...unless you're towing a camper into a campground, plugging into a utility pole and heading down to the campground commissary to play video games and buy a bag of Fritos. Then by all means go for it.

12. LOL I cook like this in the woods in a tent over a fire ... people cooked great foods way before the invention of buildings with electricity and gas laid on =)

and to my husband, friends and I good food goes with good conversation and relaxing around a fire in the evenings ...

Set the camp up next to a lake, tent just inside the edge of the woods ... imagine catching a trout, cleaning it and popping it directly into a sauteuse [frypan for youse animals :D] that you have poured a couple of those boxes of irradiated milk, a finely minced shallot, a clove of finely minced garlic, a couple pinches of thyme and poaching it gently til it is cooked, and serving it with a salad of shaved asparagus.
    Just change out the poached egg for the trout ...
    [​IMG]

or on a bed of baby spinach salad
    [​IMG]

Really, excellent cooking does not take forever, and can be done over a fire out camping.

13. Yeah man, mini surviovor series, did it with my uncles and cuzisn one time and a group of close friends another time....it sucked one of the times. couldnt catch a fish for the life of me...i ate so much wilderness to say the least....

14. chili!

if you can cook over a fire, you can make the classics, burgers, hamburgers, hotdogs. bring some onions too cuz theyre so good on stuff when theyre grilled :)

also a good thing for the morning is grill up some burgers and cook an egg and put it on top of it, tastes good.

also, BACON

15. Rice + Dried meat.

All you need, less weight, more calories.