Cooking lobsters alive pretty F*cked up?

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by Avihigh74, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Im not much of a animal rights type of person that thinks killing animals is horrible but i think cooking them alive is crossing the line.  No one really thinks about it but almost everyone (at least the people i know and family)cooks lobsters alive in a pot and that just sounds fked up too me, do you cook your lobsters alive too? (if you even eat them)

2. Then you're gonna hate this...

I somehow stumbled upon this, apparently it's a dish called Ying-Yang fish or something. Saving it's head, the fish is deepfried so it's half alive and half dead while you eat it. I thought it meant something like half sushi half fried.
    http://www.islandcrisis.net/fried-living-fish/

3. Gangstas and pimps eat lobstas and shrimps

4. #4 qwerty man, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2013
    Look, I understand why people think it's cruel to boil lobsters alive. But when it comes down to it, lobsters are a fucking bug! They have the same nervous system as spiders. It's like stepping on a spider accidentally while walking and leaving it half-alive on the sidewalk.

By same the respect, it's also very easy to to kill a lobster before boiling it. Stick the tip of the knife at the top of the thorax and crack down an inch, it'll cut the brain in two.

I will say there's one fucked up thing when you're boiling them alive -- if they're really fresh and you have several in a pot, they'll start making high pitch squealing noises when they hit the water.

5. Lobster James Bond: You're a mad man, Clawfinger, you really expect me to talk?
    "Oh ve have vays of makink you talk, Mistah Bond.....BOIL ZE WATER!!!"

scrimps n juice 4 lyfe

7. #7 Judgement, Aug 26, 2013
    So letting the lobster slowly die is less cruel to you? You drop it in the pot it is done with life, otherwise you're going have to let it just sit there and waste away. That's like having  the choice to either be placed in an airtight room and slowly remove the oxygen or eat a bullet

8. #8 Nugagerube, Aug 26, 2013
    lol @ this thread.

keep it goin

9. I honestly don't care there delicious.

10. #10 Weedity, Aug 26, 2013
    Who fucking cares it's minuscule brain can hardly understand it's slowly dying anyway.

Caring about killing creatures we use as food is going to do us no good. Unless they are endangered or something. That is different.  

Cook that shit and eat that shit. It's what we humans, who are animals, do.  

11. I can only afford the tail... :(

I dont think its bad I mean they aren't that cute...

12. re recent studies show that crabs can feel pain too. pretty fucked up eh mate?

13. I think i read somewhere that the lobster is only in pain for a little before it passes out and doesn't feel the rest of the cooking process so its really not ac cruel as you would think.

On the other hand, I've seen videos on youtube of some sushi place somewhere in Asian where they take a fish out of the tank, cut off big chunks of its meat, and then toss it back into the tank and its still alive and keeps swimming around.

14. #14 SwichOne, Aug 26, 2013
    Cooking lobster alive is no worse than what they do at slaughter houses......they are killed alive in worse ways IMO.....

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmXtcGC9ago[/youtube]

15. Why should the lobster be exempt from this, since they rip apart fish, crabs, clams, and other living creatures, even other lobsters at times when there's nothing else to eat?   

16. I dont eat lobster or crab, but I think the meat gets ruined if you cook it dead. like the tail is floppy instead of firm, or maybe its the opposite.

still, you're basically eating a bug, so its whatever.

17. Why do people feel bad for our food. We need to survive man. 

18. If you dont want to cook it alive you take a nice sharp knife and cut its head in half.
    It dies instantly.

it's gonna die one way or the other once it's in the kitchen.

You know what I want to do though, get a lobster and keep it, they technically can't die from old age, keep it healthy and pass it down like a bonsai tree through generations hahaha.

19. That's just the sound of air escaping from their stomach. They aren't actually squealing.

20. Correct me If I'm wrong. But you don't cook lobsters alive. They die the second you put them in the pot. The only way you "cook them alive" is when you don't throw them in already boiling water, which I've been told is not the correct way to cook them.