What do you think about this situation?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mogwai, Dec 19, 2011.

1. #1 Mogwai, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2011
    Alright, so I know this guy. We used to be pretty good friends. I've known him for years. He's mentally retarded, but he's undiagnosed for reasons I don't know. As you can imagine, he's had a hard life. He never really got the aid he desperately needs/needed growing up because he wasn't diagnosed, but it's pretty obvious he has a learning disability and some form of mental retardation. I think he has the mind of a 12 year old.. Maybe younger? He's 25 and he can barely read. His family writes him off as just being stupid and offers him no support. Right now he lives in a homeless shelter.

I decided to be his roommate a little over a year ago though.. don't ask me why >.>'. I thought I could help him and shit. He ended up stealing from me and selling my shit. I moved out but I felt really bad leaving him there with no furniture because it ALL was mine.. So I was like "you can use it until you move out. I don't need it right now, just hit me up when you move" and he was like alright.

So he moves... And doesn't tell me. In the end I lose everything. All my shit minus my xbox and other valuables. Furniture, two TVs, everything a kitchen would need, and a washer and dryer. Fucking gone. As you would expect, I was pissed. I wanted to kill the fucking guy. But I felt bad because he's retarded, so I just ended our friendship without beating him up.

I'm basically the only real friend the dude ever had. People pick on him all the time so he never goes out. He has no social life and that has to be hard.. People often pretend to be his friend just to steal his shit and then split, and he never does anything about it. Anyway, he has been texting me ever since the shit happened, and I keep telling him to fuck off. Today he sent me a lot of texts going on how what he did "haunts him" and how bad he feels, and that I was like a brother to him and that he misses me and shit.

Even though he fucked me over.. I feel really bad for the guy. I couldn't imagine not having any friends.. I couldn't imagine being mentally disabled like he is. From how it looks, this guy is gonna live a very shitty and depressing life.

What would you do? Would you say fuck the stuff he did and be his friend again? Would you hang out with him and try to be there for him out of, well.. pity (I know that sounds bad)? Or just tell him to fuck off. I mean.. I don't care about the furniture a whole lot. I mean I DO, but it's just furniture. Just possessions you have in life that don't mean shit in the end... But what he did was fucked up and retarded or not he should have understood that much. What would you do?

I feel bad because I was having a shitty day and he sent me a text say "hey man weeds up lol" as a joke, and I wrote back "that's fucking retarded" and went on to tell him I didn't want anything to do with him, that he needs to see a therapist, and to fuck himself. I for sure took my bad day out on him and I know that was wrong and I'll apologize... but should I just leave it at that? Or should I not even feel bad?

edit-
    Fuck this was a lot longer than I meant for it to be haha.. My bad about that. Shit's just weighing on me lately

tl;dr

My old friend is mentally retarded, has no social life/friends at all, and fucked me out of an entire trailers worth of furniture around a year ago. He says he feels bad and wants to be friends again. Not sure if I should say fuck the possessions that ultimately don't matter and be his friend or say fuck him out of principle

2. I have multiple master's degrees surrounding undiagnosed mentally impaired 25 y/o friends and I would say for this case you must ditch this specimen.

3. Well ask yourself this: is he/she that important to you ?

4. I think that he was an asshole for taking your shit, but maybe he forgot about the things being yours or something. Now I'm not a thief but I'm pretty sure that after you steal shit from someone because you want their shit (either to sell or to keep) you don't stay in contact, much less initiate conversation. Then again, thieves don't usually steal from people they know... Has he given your shit back or does just dodge your inquiries?
    Also, have you by chance read or seen "Of Mice and Men"?

5. #5 Mogwai, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2011
    Nah never read Mice and Men.

He didn't give my shit back, he actually sold it. Fortunately the guy he sold it to was our neighbor and he and I were friends. He came up to me and was like "Isn't this shit yours?" and gave it back. I confronted dude about him stealing it (it was a pellet gun) and he was like "I was just having him clean it for you" and I called bullshit and he eventually told me what he really did.

I mean.. I think he genuinely feels bad about doing the shit he did.. But the dude is so unpredictable it's hard to say he wouldn't do it again '_-... He is pretty much always doing stupid shit without ever thinking about the consequences, but usually the shit he does never hurts anybody but himself. I mean he clearly didn't think through the idea of stealing shit from me and selling it, because otherwise he would have known not to sell it to our goddamn neighbor who I'm friends with.

Eh, not really. I just feel bad thinking he sits around all day never having any friends to hang out with or family to turn to. He has a pretty depressing life and nobody ever can put up with his shit. I sorta feel like I'm the only shot at having a friend he has =\

6. this guys name is Jeffrey isnt it?

7. Doesn't matter what condition he's in, anyone that steals and sells your stuff then to top it off you lost everything, fuck him. tell him to fuck off and not contact you again, you'll only be kicking yourself when he does it again

8. I'm sort of known for letting people walk all over me, so take this however you'd like, but...

I'd probably be his friend. I wouldn't let him chill at my house, and I obviously wouldn't live with him again, but if chillin with him every now and then is what it takes to be on good terms with the dude and to feel at peace, I think you should.

The only reasons why I think he'd be apologizing to you are that he is genuinely sorry, or because he wants to steal more of your shit and fuck you over again. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he really is sorry, but he stole from you before, so don't let him be around anything valuable.

9. Tell him that he's a troll. :laughing:

10. Exactly me, i've let people walk all over me my whole life and i've been way too generous with every aspect and i got sick of it, people only get my respect if they earn it nowadays :devious:

11. Challenge him to some sort of competition. Like... arm wrestling, or a race. If he beats you, you stay his friend. If not....

12. #12 validtoker, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2011
    [quote name='"Mogwai"']Nah never read Mice and Men.

He didn't give my shit back, he actually sold it.

I mean.. I think he genuinely feels bad about doing the shit he did.. He is pretty much always doing stupid shit without ever thinking about the consequences, but usually the shit he does never hurts anybody but himself.

I just feel bad thinking he sits around all day never having any friends to hang out with or family to turn to. He has a pretty depressing life and nobody ever can put up with his shit. I sorta feel like I'm the only shot at having a friend he has =\[/quote]

Tell him to cut out the stupid shit if he wants to keep you as a friend, if he doesn't just fuck him

Of mice and men: Main character has either a friend or a brother who is retarded, does some stupid shit, eventually, for everyone's sake, the main character talks to him about the farm they want to get with all the farm shit, and while his guard is down, he ices him.
    Its actually a pretty sad ending.