Best university degree?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheDalaiLlama, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Just do what you are interested in, no point picking something with the best pay and hoping it will get you a nice job. Pick a degree in something you love to do, because if it all works out, you will spend a while doing it. Unless you love film studies, psychology or gender studies...or liberal arts.

2. Hell yeah man. I was thinking about doing a physics degree next year and then heading to a PhD in Astrophysics, it's a long way down the road, but it's something that interests me so much, don't know about job prospects though, which is the only thing holding me back slightly...

3. A physician's degree is the most rewarding:

[​IMG]

4. gynecologist

5. Research man, you might not get paid that well, but it's the most interesting part of science to be researching in IMHO. You should 100% go for it if you're good enough. Be so awesome working for NASA or something...

Wish I could've done it, but i've always been awful at science.

6. I have a feeling this job isn't as cool as it seems.

7. best is certainly in the eye of the beholder. Many variables can be evaluated to determine that. On that note, Multimedia Design and Development FTW :)

8. Petroleum engineering because oil will always be a huge, profitable business(at least during our lifetimes).

9. communications is pretty top notch if you think about it... you can really go far if you can communicate on another level :) just my 2 cents

10. Yea, that's why two years ago our government cut 70% of subsidies to engineering programs across the country :rolleyes: Many parts of the STEM field are being saturated rather quickly, and many graduates are having to put in the extra effort to advance themselves, which 10 years ago, wasn't really required with an engineering degree.

Most profitable undergrad major isn't really something you can determine, but for grad school the medical field is #1 by far, although its not a pleasant career choice.

My buddy just got a $10,000 signing bonus, two months after being certified as an RN, salary is 55k...its pretty ridiculous

11. Yeah i'm working towards my electrical engineering degree currently. You could say i'm a super super senior haha this is my sixth year. It isn't easy folks but dammit it's going to be worth it. It is also what I love doing. Learning is awesome, I pity the fools who drop out of high school. You all are missing out on so much.

12. Why not? I've seen many articles that say it's petroleum engineering. Average starting salary around 93k and average mid career salary around 160k.

13. depends on if you want to be 20k in debt or 120k in debt.. :laughing: jkjk

14. Well the most sought after college grads are probably chemical engineers, but ya anything engineering if you wanna be pissed off at your life for the next five years.

15. Because someone who got their degree from Stanford will probably be making that kind of money, while someone who got their degree from the University of Montana or some shit, will probably be waiting tables to pay the rent

Your school and your rank matter too much in terms of getting paid well, so you can't really pinpoint a profitable major...

On a grad level, the actual completion of the course material matters more than the school, so it's possible to classify how profitable different majors are.

16. My old roommate was an engineering student (Masters), and had basically done a big Fuck You to America for having no employment opportunities for him... So I would be careful to not get too cosy, thinking that there is a wealth of opportunities out there for engineering students, because it's not that simple. But again, if thats what you want to do, then stick to it.

17. Blue waffle :eek:

And I'm getting my Environmental Science degree right now. I figure the environments not getting any better so there's gonna be job opportunities out there when I graduate.

18. This. Although if you want big money in engineering you generally have to either have an mba or start your own firm and I can see that being difficult with chemical engineering.

Also, anything higher than a masters is irrelevant. Even a masters is only relevant in engineering to become chartered.

19. That may be true in some fields, but as a chemistry student with an undergraduate degree completed, I can say with a certainty that anything below masters is irrelevant to becoming employed as a chemist (and I mean a proper chemist, not just the guy plugging samples into the HPLC). I believe the same applies to many other disciplines of science.