Can I drive my new car without insurance?

Discussion in 'General' started by justyn93, Oct 9, 2011.

1. We are buying a used car from a private seller and it is sunday so we will not be able to register or insure. Can we drive the car legally today? We already have a car that has insurance on it, if it matters. I'm pretty positive the guy we are buying it from still has insurance on it(he was waiting for a new truck to get shipped in and got it last night so they insurance offices and shit would have been closed then also).

thanks

2. I THINK you will be ok.
    Technically you CAN go online and purchase, and print off proof of, insurance. Even on Sunday.

3. depends on the state. ny, definitely not lol. iowa, probably ok. nd? no idea...
    moreover, i guess just be chill and drive home carefully :hello:

4. Some states allow you to drive without insurance (very few!!)

I know Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois... etc you need insurance to drive otherwise it's a Misdemeanor charge (in MI) and a fine.

Your problem is not having it registered. Driving an unregistered car isn't smart at all. You're going to get pulled over and the car impounded.

Just wait until tomorrow and get plates transferred to it and insurance put on it.

5. by drive do you mean like driving to the store/ friends houses ect or just driving home from the sellers house? if your driving from the sellers house. when i got my s10 i ended up getting pulled over because of no tag but i had a bill of sale and i called my dad and put him on speaker and he told the officer that i had just purchased the truck and i was free to go. as long as you are just driving home you should be good. just obey all the laws and drive normal dont hall ass around or any thing. and if you get stopped tell them you just bought it and show the bill of sale and title and explain you just bought it and cant register it till tomorrow.

6. Yeah we wanted to cruise in it for an hour or so. But we would be cruising in an area with very few cops if any (seen maybe 2 cops out there within the last 2 years or so.

7. i wouldnt cruse in it till you have a tag and insurance on it. i would test drive it at the guys house. if the guy is cool or a friend you maybe able to borrow the tag from him if it is still registered and cruse a little bit.

8. Read your state laws

39-08-20. Driving without liability insurance prohibited - Penalty

http://www.legis.nd.gov/cencode/t39c08.pdf

skip to page 8.

Seriously, risking it to cruise around for 1 hour is simply stupid. Don't worry man, you can impress that chicken head another day =T

9. #9 justyn93, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2011
    Yeah we already test drove it any everything. The guy was very nice, and knew alot about the car and everything. My gf is at work and her parents are picking the car up right now (we are putting it all in their name for insurance and shit lol)

10. im putting my s10 in my grandmas name for better insurance. just liability for me was like 154 bucks a month. and that was with a 2.2 4 banger. it now has a 400 v8 in it

11. Yeah my mom is gonna put my lexus in her name fully soon, the car we are getting now is gonna be my gfs car

12. Here in IA if you get caught w/o insurance it's a $500 fine, but that's only if you get caught. lol.

13. uhhh if you tell a cop you just got the damn thing and youre driving it home they rpolly wont care that it aint got no tags. insurance just drive carefully. in arkansas and jersey the popos dont care if you just got it

14. If you get in an accident without insurance your fucked.. especially in California... Minimum 1 year license suspension... :(

15. We decided to not drive it lol just gonna wait till it's Insured