Characteristics of Adolescents Who Use Cannabis, But Not Tobacco

Discussion in 'General' started by Storm Crow, Aug 14, 2011.

1. #1 Storm Crow, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    This is a nice little article that is looking like it will be "lost" soon, so rather than risk losing it, I'm posting it up where I know it will be appreciated and shared. :D

[FONT=&quot]

Characteristics of Adolescents Who Use Cannabis But Not Tobacco

By Join Together Staff | February 7, 2008 | Leave a comment\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t | Filed in Drugs, Other, Parenting, Prevention, Research, Tobacco & Youth
    Cannabis is associated with tobacco use and has been described as a "gateway" drug. But, whether adolescents who use cannabis only differ from those who use both cannabis and tobacco is unclear. To explore these possible differences, researchers assessed social and academic performance among a nationally representative sample of 5263 Swiss adolescents who either used cannabis only, cannabis and tobacco, or neither.

Subjects who used cannabis only, compared with subjects who used both cannabis and tobacco, were:

• More likely to practice sports, be on an academic track, and get good grades
    • Less likely in the past month to use cannabis ≥10 times and get drunk

Subjects who used cannabis only, compared with subjects who never used cannabis or tobacco, were:

• More likely to practice sports, be on an academic track, and report good peer relationships as well as be truant, get drunk in the last month, and use other illegal drugs in last month
    • Less likely to report a good relationship with their parents

Are Brief Alcohol Interventions Likely to be Effective in Routine Primary Care Practice? | The Partnership at Drugfree.org

2. #2 Ralta, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2011
    It doesn't particularly quantify itself, I mean "more likely" could be 0.5%, it could be 50% more, we just aren't told how significant it is.

I'm sorry, Granny, it just seems a little bit unquantified for my liking.

And, its from nearly 3.5 years ago, why should it get lost?

Threads on GC from last week seem more likely to disappear, than this.

3. I think that hit the nail on the head

4. The more vices you have, the more fucked up you may be? Shocking!