so i went to a psychiatrist and he said weed is bad.

Discussion in 'General' started by panflake, Jul 19, 2011.

1. so i went to a psychologist today for my depression and suicidal shit and he asked me questions about me and my family and then asked if i smoked marijuana. i said ya and he gave like a "ooo ok i see" he said it makes more schizo or bipolar and told me to quit for good. i always thought it helped me so i was shocked. what are your guys' thoughts on this

2. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Do you think or do you KNOW it helps?

Whats the longest you've gone without smoking weed and not freakout?

3. My thoughts are you need to smoke a J with him.

4. Weed isn't for everyone. I think he was wrong by saying you should quit for good, but it really does deplete your dopamine. It won't make a person become paranoid, schizo, or bipolar ect., but it can bring out more of that side of a person if they already have these tendencies. So if you're having a really hard time with your life right now, you should probably take a nice long t break.

5. weed and any other psychoactive drug can bring on disorders such as schizophrenia but ONLY if you already have the traits for it.

so basically a person who is going to become schizophrenic at some point in their life should not smoke weed because it will make the signs of it appear earlier, the only thing is you never know if you are going to be schizo or not until the symptoms appear

it is not a direct cause of any diseases or mental disorders though.

6. I doubt anyone here is as qualified to say as your psychiatrist. Best advice I can give you is to get a second opinion, and perhaps a third.

7. #7 Misc, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2011
    sounds like a bad psychiatrist

schizophrenia and bipolar disorder are genetic disorders; weed may aggravate the symptoms if you are predisposed for either, but it doesn't simply make you "more bipolar/more schizo"

I've had friends with both, and I can certainly say that smoking didn't suddenly imbibe me with their disorders

8. Cool story bro.

9. thats weird. i went to a psychologist last winter and when weed was brought up, he said something to the effect of its not bad for me to do, just try not to do it so often

i didnt follow what he said tho lol

10. #12 Storm Crow, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2011
    Can recreational doses of THC produce significant dopamine release in the human striatum? (abst - 2009)
    [FONT=&quot]Unbound MEDLINE | Can recreational doses of THC produce significant dopamine release in the human striatum? PubMed Journal article[/FONT]

CONCLUSION: In the largest study of its kind so far, we have shown that recreational cannabis users do not release significant amounts of dopamine from an oral THC dose equivalent to a standard cannabis cigarette. This result challenges current models of striatal dopamine release as the mechanism mediating cannabis as risk factor for schizophrenia.

If cannabis caused schizophrenia-how many cannabis users may need to be prevented in order to prevent one case of schizophrenia? England and Wales calculations. (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | If cannabis caused schizophrenia--how many cannabis users may need to be prevented in order to prevent one case of schizophrenia? England and Wales calculations. PubMed Journal article

Science: The development of the number of new schizophrenia cases in the UK does not support the hypothesis that cannabis use increases schizophrenia risk (news – 2009)
    http://www.cannabis-med.org/english/bulletin/ww_en_db_cannabis_artikel.php?id=299#2

Cannabis with high cannabidiol content is associated with fewer psychotic experiences. (abst – 2011)
    Cannabis with high cannabidiol content is associat... [Schizophr Res. 2011] - PubMed result

Marijuana Use Associated With 'Superior' Cognitive Performance In Schizophrenic Patients, Study Says (news – 2011) Marijuana Use Associated With 'Superior' Cognitive Performance In Schizophrenic Patients, Study Says - NORML

The Impact of Cannabis Use on Cognitive Functioning in Patients With Schizophrenia: A Meta-analysis of Existing Findings and New Data in a First-Episode Sample. (abst – 2010) The Impact of Cannabis Use on Cognitive Functionin... [Schizophr Bull. 2010] - PubMed result

Oral THC Reduces Aggressive Behavior In Patients With Refractory Psychosis, Study Says (news - 2010)[FONT=&quot] Oral THC Reduces Aggressive Behavior In Patients With Refractory Psychosis, Study Says - NORML[/FONT]

Cannabinoid self-administration attenuates PCP-induced schizophrenia-like symptoms in adult rats. (abst - 2010)
    Cannabinoid self-administration attenuates PCP-ind... [Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2010] - PubMed result

Does intravenous {triangleup}9-tetrahydrocannabinol increase dopamine release? A SPET study. (abst – 2010) Does intravenous {triangleup}9-tetrahydrocannabino... [J Psychopharmacol. 2010] - PubMed result

Therapeutical use of the cannabinoids in psychiatry (full – 2010)
    Revista Brasileira de Psiquiatria - Therapeutical use of the cannabinoids in psychiatry

Do patients think cannabis causes schizophrenia? - A qualitative study on the causal beliefs of cannabis using patients with schizophrenia (full - 2010)
    [FONT=&quot]Do patients think cannabis causes schizophrenia? - A qualitative study on the causal beliefs of cannabis using patients with schizophrenia

[/FONT]
    Minimal Relationship Between Cannabis And Schizophrenia Or Psychosis, Suggested By New Study (news - 2009)
    Minimal Relationship Between Cannabis And Schizophrenia Or Psychosis, Suggested By New Study

Schizophrenia link to cannabis denied (news - 2009) This is Staffordshire | Study rebuffs mental illness link with cannabis| Research set to re-open debate on legalisation

THC can improve symptoms of schizophrenia (news – 2009)
    [FONT=&quot] International Association for Cannabis as Medicine[/FONT]

That's some of the most recent stuff I got. If you click that first link in my sig and scroll down to "Schizophrenia/ Mental Disorders", there's a lot more!

Have fun educating him!

Granny :wave:

11. How do you know if you have schizo or bi-polar disorders in your genetic make-up? Can a doctor check for it, through some hard-science scan, or is it something a psychologist deciphers?

12. Hes right, but he is only trying to help you. To him, he doesnt see the reason to smoke weed. He also is trying to help you with your mental health, and weed isnt something that always helps

13. My psychiatrist is against weed as well, he told me about the potential for increased dopamine or the opposite could happen and cause Parkinsons. But on the flipside, the 2 psychologists I've been to for just regular therapy didnt have any problem with it. And after 10 years of smoking, I'm not a schizophrenic nor do I have Parkinsons. Either way I'm not worried. :smoke:

14. to be perfectly honest, i say you should quit or at least take a break. i'm was a little psychologically troubled at one time wih depression and the like. i could tell it for sure advanced my symptoms. after fixing a few problems in my life, i found smoking to be a whole lot more enjoyable

15. Tiny, I have literally dozens of studies saying cannabis HELPS Parkinson's. I just have a hard time getting my mind around your psych saying that something that is used to treat Parkinson's could cause it!

Marijuana Compounds May Aid Parkinson's Disease (news - 2004)
    cannabisnews.com: Marijuana Compounds May Aid Parkinson's Disease

Therapeutic potential of cannabinoids in CNS disease. (abst - 2003)
    Therapeutic potential of cannabinoids in CNS disea... [CNS Drugs. 2003] - PubMed result

Cannabinoids and neuroprotection in motor-related disorders. (abst - 2007)
    Cannabinoids and neuroprotection in motor-related ... [CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets. 2007] - PubMed result

16. You don't argue with psychiatrists because it will get you no where, they are stubborn as fuck

17. How do I know if I have traits for Schizophrenia?

18. Go check out another pyschiatrist. If he decides you shouldn't smoke as well maybe you shouldn't. Take a long t-break and notice your behavior, thoughts, etc.