question about a puffer fish

Discussion in 'General' started by FiveOnIt, Mar 10, 2011.

1. i'm getting my brother a spotted green pufferfish for his birthday, how big does the tank need to be for it to be happy?
    i've heard from 30-gallons to 2.5 gallons.. i'd prefer it to be smaller.

and no, no other fish included.

2. How big of a puffer and what's it's max size?

I hope your brother has had a salt-water tank before. Shit is a serious commitment.

3. it's max size is 6"

4. 30 gal minimum. That might even be too small.

5. having second thoughts now :/ 30 gal tanks are like, 300$ for a good one

6. Yea, fish are not a cheap investment. Plus you have to get the wet/dry filter, chemicals, etc...Unless your brother is really committed to it, probably not the best gift.

7. calling postal blowfish...

8. yeah, we've owned fish before. he's only 17 so his mom would probably do most of the work on the tank.

9. Does your brother have experience maintaining a salt water tank? If so cool gift but if not it the poor blow fish will likely be dead soon. You want cheap fish starting out with salt water first time because most people kill a few fish before getting things right.

A wonderful hobbie nothing is more relaxing that staring at the fish.

10. Real question here is

Do you like fishsticks?

11. Why would anyone synthesize this unless they intend to kill someone in a terrifying way where you literally watch yourself become paralyzed and die?

12. I think you just answered your own question there eh?

13. ......I dunno if there was a known cure, and it did no long term damage to the body I could think of a couple things.

14. #16 Shipwreck, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2011
    I'm the master of gsps!

I have one in a tank alongside a corydora and a white tipped shark (catfish)
    Now understand that GSPS are not your ordinary fish that you can just keep with any fish.
    On the contrary they REQUIRE a lot of attention and knowledge.

First off, they are brackish water fish.
    This means that the water they they live in needs to be at 8.2 Ph.

The temperature they live in is 81 degrees.

Green Spotted puffers NEED snails about the size of their eye (Or broken up pieces of clam) to wear their beaks down. If you do not give them shells they WILL not be able to eat.

Green Spotted Puffers do not do well with many other fish, any other semi agressive fish that you put in the tank with a GSP will result in one dead fish at least (UNLESS you keep them together since they were first born)

They need a supplement of seaweed to keep their eyes clear.

Green Spotted Puffers have NO scales, they need the tank to be kept ammonia free.

One of my favorite aspects about GSPs are they CHANGE COLOR :D

I like to compare them to the mood fish ring of the aquarium.
    The happier they are the brighter their color is.
    The more stressed out they are the duller the color will get.

Green spotted puffers need to be fed multiple different things to survive which includes: Ghost Shrimp, Snails, FROZEN Blood Worms, many of the shrimp type foods.

They will get UP to 6"

Here is a video of one of my favorite puffers :)
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9_5dIm4AF4]YouTube - Pierre the Green Spotted Puffer[/ame]

Oh yeah you CAN start out with like a 10 gallon for a SMALL puffer by itself or with probably 1 other fish but you'll need to get up to 30 gallons later on.

15. Impressive!

16. I like knowing how my fish are feeling that's why I really think GSPs are better "pets" than other fish.
    I like him waking up and coming to the glass, all bright yellow.

17. so i can get one with a smaller tank? maybe get a 10 gallon tank for awhile, but how long will this last?

18. 10 gallon by itself or with one other fish would probably last for about a year.