Garden Herbs That Repel Harmful Pests

Discussion in 'General' started by Nilla Ice, Feb 10, 2011.

1. #1 Nilla Ice, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2011
    For those who garden out there, I just thought it would be helpful to have a list of herbs that can also repell pests in your gardens. Intermingled in the garden, herbs can keep vegetable crops free of most pests. Here's a short list that I'll keep adding to:

Basil- Prevents against Asparagus Beetles, Tomato Heartworms and Thrips. How to Grow Basil

Chives- Prevents against Aphids, Spider Mites and Japanese Beetles. How to Grow Chives

Cilantro- Prevents against Aphids, Spider Mites and Colorado Potato Beetle. How to Grow Cilantro

Dill- Prevents against Aphids, Spider Mites and Cabbage Moths. How to Grow Dill

Garlic- Sulfur compounds created by garlic will prevent against Aphids, Spider Mites and a variety of ground insectsHow to Grow Garlic

Mint- Prevents against Ants, Aphids, Cucumber beetles, flea beetles, imported cabbage worms, rodents, squash bugs and white flies. How to Grow Mint

Oregano- Repels cabbage butterflies and cucumber beetles. How to Grow Oregano

Parsley- Prevents against Carrot flies and asparagus beetles. How to Grow Parsley

Rosemary- Prevents against imported cabbage worms and slugs. How to Grow Rosemary

Sage- Wards off bean beetles, slugs, carrot flies and cabbage moths. How to Grow Sage

Thyme- Repels cabbage worms, carrot flies and attracts beneficial insects to the garden. How to Grow Thyme

• Like Like x 1
  2. posted a few more up

3. Nice. I don't have too many bug problems other than grasshoppers but I get them bad in the summer. The only thing I've found that helps control them is chickens believe it or not. I did buy two kinds of mint this year though. I'll be planting them shortly, maybe this weekend.

4. good thread.

5. Well done.

6. thank you. There are a lot of companion herbs!