I don't get why it's "bad" to call fat people fat.

Discussion in 'General' started by Dalton!, Jan 9, 2011.

1. I'm 6'4" and weigh around 185. I do not work out at all and actually hate the very thought of taking my ass to the gym but you can bet your ass that as i get older and my metabolism slows, if I se myself starting to gain weight, Im not gonna let it happen. I will work out to keep in shape. I too dont know how people can care so little to just just lemselves go untill it gets totally out of hand.

2. These threads always end the same way.
    Every has their own opinion
    Someone says something a little too abrasive.
    Someone gets offended and things begin to get a heated.

There are definitely some fatties in this thread.
    Maybe I am talking about you... That's right you.
    Maybe I'm not.
    Who knows, it's the internet.
    Point being, if this topic is getting you all worked up inside you might want to consider investing in some nice running shoes.

3. there are different levels of fat, and there are different situations as to why people are fat. there truly are many medical conditions having nothing to do with the amount someone eats that may make them fat, or disabilities in general leading to an inactive lifestyle, depressed fueled by food.

im fat, but im not obese. im just like 5'8, 230 pounds. i have a gut but it doesnt really affect my every day life.

4. Who got offended?

5. No, its not, at all. Was that person born fat? No, they became like that. Calling someone fat is castigating them for their life choice.

6. it's ignorant to think people who are heavy are that way because they eat too much or bad shit. medications, stress, and a lot of other shit can take it's toll and make you gain weight.

7. Exactly. I'm a pretty built kid. My BMI says I'm a little bit overweight but I'm definitely healthy. BMI doesn't really mean anything. The best way to determine someone's build without actually seeing them is by finding out their height, weight, and body fat percentage.

8. I wasn't talking to you :p

9. Yes I realize, but most people are not fat due to medical reasons. The majority are just lazy gluttons. Even if someone is on a medication that induces weight gain, I doubt it would also prevent the person from becoming active or even eating healthier.

That's why in my first post I excluded those with a true medical condition, such as troubles with the pituitary or thyroid glands, or hormonal inbalances.

10. If it isn't a medical condition, call someone fat as much as you want. I'll take the blame. I used to be fat and it never bothered me. It was my own damn fault. Only reason why I got skinny and started bulking up muscle instead of McDonalds is because of my fiance ;)

All I'll say .... If it's legal to do this to yourself and your kids:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it should be legal to do this:

[​IMG]

... and it should definitely be legal to do this:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. some people are born fat

12. I was born 12lbs and 3oz. I was 30% + body fat until 19, and now at 24 I'm less than 12% body fat. Your point?

13. it's really just this country. it's the fast paced living and on the go attitude of america. you don't see the amount of heavy people anywhere like in the states.

i think it's wrong to feed your kids all that garbage. once a week that's fine but not anymore than that.

14. I think its probably more offensive when a skinny person goes, "im so fat". if I was fat id be like "wtF?!?!"

Just because you do something like smoke or are fat doesnt make you a bad person, I honestly think everyone needs a dose of reality sometimes, people need to know that they aint perfect.

15. Just because something is true, doesn't mean there aren't better choice words you can use for it.
    So we can go run around and call someone whos gay a faggot, and someone whoes black a ****** in your eyes? Because even tho society thinks they are offensive, that kind of stuff over your head.. you don't play by those rules, yes?

16. really?

there's nothing wrong with being fat...

if you're content with appearing less sexually attractive, what's the problem

I don't see the point of trying to make someone feel bad for a lifestyle choice, it's very insecure.

17. Its one thing to talk about a persons imperfections, In a nice manner or asking them why the way they are. But, If your making fun of somebody because they are fat/ugly/annorexic..ect.. Thats just fucked up.
    Fat people get embarassed if you point out that they are fat. Its an issue that should not matter,but people have feelings and everyone wants be accepted. Making fun of someone because of how they look is fucked up and you shouldnt do it.

18. The ignorance in this thread......

You might as well ask yourself why its bad to call out people with acne or why someone is paraplegic.

Not all fat people are fat because of choice. Thyroid disorders can prevent people from losing weight
    no matter how much exercise they do. Even then, why should they be subjected to insults? They know they're fat, they don't need someone mentioning it.

19. #79 marcul, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2011
    If your problem with overweight people is that they're unhealthy and you want them to lose weight, telling them they're fat isn't going to help at all. Someone being overweight is usually their own fault, but because they have low self-esteem or low self-control. Being mean to them isn't going to do anything except make them feel useless and unworthy of a healthy and happy lifestyle. The best thing you can do when you're walking around town is be friendly to everyone, and let them handle their own problems, because you have no idea what they're going through.
    If you know a jackass who calls retards retards and ugly people ugly and he happens to be overweight, then go ahead and tell him off however you want, but just because you see some guy walking down the street who's overweight doesn't give you any reason to call him out for it, because he definitely already knows, and already deals with it everyday.

When you're looking at pictures on Facebook with a friend and they ask who Joe is and you say "the fat one" that's fine, because no one's getting hurt. But there's no need for Joe to hear himself being described as fat, he can just say "Yo! I'm Joe" if you need to find him ;)

20. this.