How to acquire a taste for manlier drinks?

Discussion in 'General' started by Braves4590, Jul 29, 2010.

1. For awhile my favorite drink to order at a bar was an Disaronno sour. Fuckin delicious :metal:. But i'm a bartender and after a while I noticed that it was mostly girls and gay guys ordering anything with amaretto. And a few nights ago I ordered one and my friends never let me live it down.

So now, it's time for me to be a man. I need to learn to drink straight whiskey. I'm still not too good at taking shots of whiskey.. the second it sits in my mouth and I start to taste it my throat refuses to swallow. But I'm getting over that. I've tried sipping it but it just feels like I'm sipping rubbing alcohol, there's nothing pleasant about it. But I have friends who can practically drink it like water.

Now either ridicule me for being a pussy or help me out! Hopefully my good blades will choose the latter ;)

2. Honestly man just drink 'em. I used to hate beer and would only drink vodka, but I just made myself pound beer until I eventually started liking it. And as far as shots go it's mostly technique. I don't have a strong stomach and hate the taste of anything but Absolut vodka, but I can still shoot 190 proof Everclear [gross].

The trick is to take a small drink of chaser to prep your mouth, toast to something with your bros, and then knock it back. What I do is I start swallowing before the shot ever hits my tongue/mouth. That way by the time it gets there you are already swallowing and it can get out of your mouth. After you swallow, do not breathe until you chase. It makes it worse if you do.

In my experience the more you drink something the more you like it, but I wouldn't worry about it. I would just order what you like to drink and if your friends call you out tell them to buy you a shot and hit it like I said above. ;)

3. Try a Jack and Coke or something like that. You cant still somewhat taste the whisky but if its made right it wont be to overpowering and the coke adds a nice flavor.

4. Firstly, don't take shots of whiskey, you need to sip it, gently nurse it like a newborn baby.

Also, start with drinking highballs before you go to straight spirits.

5. You don't acquire a taste for hard drinks, you just drink 'em.

6. #6 StimulateMyMind, Jul 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2010
    Beer beer beer beer beer beeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Nobody likes the taste of beer when they first drink it, but after 2 summers of drinking every night, beer is like an orgasm in my mouth.

Nothing like an ice cold Miller on a Friday night.

7. I can only drink hard liquor if I'm already pretty drunk. Otherwise, beer, vodka and ginger ale, or getting "iced" does the trick.

8. Just order a beer. Find a local beer bar and start drinking. You're bound to find at least one you like.

9. I acquired my taste for "manlier drinks" by starting drinking hard liquor at the tender age of 12. Not worth it, not by a long shot.

The only advice I can give you is to perhaps pretend you're drinking a glass of water, or coke? Similar to contestants on Fear Factor/Survivor that pretend they're eating a chocolate bar when they're wolfing down a centipede or bowl of locusts. The gag reflex you experience may be largely psychological, you just need to train your body to accept the alcohol.

Drink responsibly!

10. BTW... you'll never acquire a taste for hard alcohol by drinking cheap booze. It's nasty.

Top shelf liqueur can be very drinkable.

11. This.

12. Pour shots of Solsongju for your friends, mock them as they choke to death.

(its Korean pine resin flavored liquor-very manly scent)

13. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you haven't been a bartender that long?

Main reason I say that is I'm struggling to find the logic that anyone has to find a "need" to drink straight alcohol, especially coming from a bartender who sees the effects of "doin' shots" probably every damn night you go to work and have to pick someone up off the floor.

Perhaps if you're more into sipping a drink, try a martini instead of shots. Dirty vodka martinis are an acquired taste, but are definitely a sipping drink that's still "manly".

Only other thing you can do with whiskey shooters is throw a squeeze of lemon in there, and maybe chase them with coke or something. Lemon kind of helps kill the alcohol flavor.

14. Yeah, but the real question is does it provide the hangover "powers" of the infamous Korean Soju? :D

I've not yet experienced this, but the stories I've heard....:eek:

15. I've never met anyone who has drank enough of it to find out. I assume someone in Korea does, otherwise they would not continue to produce the vile stuff.

16. Well to me it sounds like you need a dose of man the fuck up.

Just drink it. You eventually get used to the taste and remember that after the first few drinks they WILL taste better.

17. Lol I have no problem with beer, I love the stuff. I was just asking about drinking whiskey straight. I guess i'll get used to it eventually.

18. whiskey is awesome you don't "need to learn to like it" its just awesome

19. Or you can not drink, if you don't like the taste why try to act like you do, why even give into drinking. I don't drink at all, but I have a few times in the past, I would much rather drink a chick drink that doesn't taste like shit then a shot of whiskey just to look like a man.

20. Budweiser and yager is my shit. Everyone's got their own tastes.

As long as you're getting drunk, shit what's it matter what you're drinking? If your buddies give you shit, sip your drink in front of them like a man. Because a real man doesn't give a shit what someone thinks about them dependent on what they drink.

:hello: