Nuclear weapons in the Ancient World?

Discussion in 'General' started by Opivy, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Here is an article (its about 2 years old) That i found very interesting. It has really got me thinking about ancient civilizations and whatnot. Anyways I think you guys will find it interesting as well, Enjoy.

ANCIENT CITY FOUND,
    IRRADIATED FROM ATOMIC BLAST

Radiation still so intense, the area is highly dangerous

A heavy layer of radioactive ash in Rajasthan, India, covers a three-square mile area, ten miles west of Jodhpur. Scientists are investigating the site, where a housing development was being built.

For some time it has been established that there is a very high rate of birth defects and cancer in the area under construction. The levels of radiation there have registered so high on investigators' gauges that the Indian government has now cordoned off the region. Scientists have unearthed an ancient city where evidence shows an atomic blast dating back thousands of years, from 8,000 to 12,000 years, destroyed most of the buildings and probably a half-million people. One researcher estimates that the nuclear bomb used was about the size of the ones dropped on Japan in 1945.

The Mahabharata clearly describes a catastrophic blast that rocked the continent. "A single projectile charged with all the power in the Universe...An incandescent column of smoke and flame as bright as 10,000 suns, rose in all its splendor...it was an unknown weapon, an iron thunderbolt, a gigantic messenger of death which reduced to ashes an entire race.

"The corpses were so burned as to be unrecognizable. Their hair and nails fell out, pottery broke without any apparent cause, and the birds turned white.

"After a few hours, all foodstuffs were infected. To escape from this fire, the soldiers threw themselves into the river."

A HISTORIAN COMMENTS

Historian Kisari Mohan Ganguli says that Indian sacred writings are full of such descriptions, which sound like an atomic blast as experienced in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. He says references mention fighting sky chariots and final weapons. An ancient battle is described in the Drona Parva, a section of the Mahabharata. "The passage tells of combat where explosions of final weapons decimate entire armies, causing crowds of warriors with steeds and elephants and weapons to be carried away as if they were dry leaves of trees," says Ganguli.

"Instead of mushroom clouds, the writer describes a perpendicular explosion with its billowing smoke clouds as consecutive openings of giant parasols. There are comments about the contamination of food and people's hair falling out."

ARCHEOLOGICAL INVESTIGATION PROVIDES INFORMATION

Archeologist Francis Taylor says that etchings in some nearby temples he has managed to translate suggest that they prayed to be spared from the great light that was coming to lay ruin to the city. "It's so mid-boggling to imagine that some civilization had nuclear technology before we did. The radioactive ash adds credibility to the ancient Indian records that describe atomic warfare."

Construction has halted while the five member team conducts the investigation. The foreman of the project is Lee Hundley, who pioneered the investigation after the high level of radiation was discovered.

There is evidence that the Rama empire (now India) was devastated by nuclear war. The Indus valley is now the Thar desert, and the site of the radioactive ash found west of Jodhpur is around there.

Consider these verses from the ancient (6500 BC at the latest) Mahabharata:

...a single projectile
    Charged with all the power of the Universe.
    An incandescent column of smoke and flame
    As bright as the thousand suns
    Rose in all its splendour...
    a perpendicular explosion
    with its billowing smoke clouds...
    ...the cloud of smoke
    rising after its first explosion
    formed into expanding round circles
    like the opening of giant parasols...

..it was an unknown weapon,
    An iron thunderbolt,
    A gigantic messenger of death,
    Which reduced to ashes
    The entire race of the Vrishnis and the Andhakas.
    ...The corpses were so burned
    As to be unrecognisable.
    The hair and nails fell out;
    Pottery broke without apparent cause,
    And the birds turned white.

After a few hours
    All foodstuffs were infected...
    ...to escape from this fire
    The soldiers threw themselves in streams
    To wash themselves and their equipment.

Until the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, modern mankind could not imagine any weapon as horrible and devastating as those described in the ancient Indian texts. Yet they very accurately described the effects of an atomic explosion. Radioactive poisoning will make hair and nails fall out. Immersing oneself in water gives some respite, though it is not a cure.

When excavations of Harappa and Mohenjo-Daro reached the street level, they discovered skeletons scattered about the cities, many holding hands and sprawling in the streets as if some instant, horrible doom had taken place. People were just lying, unburied, in the streets of the city. And these skeletons are thousands of years old, even by traditional archaeological standards. What could cause such a thing? Why did the bodies not decay or get eaten by wild animals? Furthermore, there is no apparent cause of a physically violent death.

These skeletons are among the most radioactive ever found, on par with those at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. At one site, Soviet scholars found a skeleton which had a radioactive level 50 times greater than normal. Other cities have been found in northern India that show indications of explosions of great magnitude. One such city, found between the Ganges and the mountains of Rajmahal, seems to have been subjected to intense heat. Huge masses of walls and foundations of the ancient city are fused together, literally vitrified! And since there is no indication of a volcanic eruption at Mohenjo-Daro or at the other cities, the intense heat to melt clay vessels can only be explained by an atomic blast or some other unknown weapon. The cities were wiped out entirely.

While the skeletons have been carbon-dated to 2500 BC, we must keep in mind that carbon-dating involves measuring the amount of radiation left. When atomic explosions are involved, that makes then seem much younger.

Interestingly, Manhattan Project chief scientist Dr J. Robert Oppenheimer was known to be familiar with ancient Sanskrit literature. In an interview conducted after he watched the first atomic test, he quoted from the Bhagavad Gita: "'Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.' I suppose we all felt that way." When asked in an interview at Rochester University seven years after the Alamogordo nuclear test whether that was the first atomic bomb ever to be detonated, his reply was, "Well, yes, in modern history."

Ancient cities whose brick and stonewalls have literally been vitrified, that is, fused together, can be found in India, Ireland, Scotland, France, Turkey and other places. There is no logical explanation for the vitrification of stone forts and cities, except from an atomic blast.

Another curious sign of an ancient nuclear war in India is a giant crater near Bombay. The nearly circular 2,154-metre-diameter Lonar crater, located 400 kilometres northeast of Bombay and aged at less than 50,000 years old, could be related to nuclear warfare of antiquity. No trace of any meteoric material, etc., has been found at the site or in the vicinity, and this is the world's only known "impact" crater in basalt. Indications of great shock (from a pressure exceeding 600,000 atmospheres) and intense, abrupt heat (indicated by basalt glass spherules) can be ascertained from the site.

2. thats incredible... almost seems... impossible..?? how would the information not be passed down??? i guess everyone who was involved was wiped out? wow... pretty neat!

3. Well I guess this didn't appeal to most as it did to me. Anyways, if you are interested I have another article. I'm more than positive I'll hear a response from cottons, and i'd like to :smoking:

link

During the first Egyptian “pyramid war”, between Horus and Seth, Horus strikes: “…(and he) let loose against them a storm which they could neither see with their eyes, nor hear with their ears. It brought death to all of them in a single moment…” (Sitchin, 1985). This sounds to me like the gamma-ray and neutron pulse from a sub-kiloton nuclear weapon, which has no fireball and the nuclear radiation extends far beyond the blast wave.

Zeus battles the Titans: “The hot vapor lapped around the Titans, of Gaea born, flame unspeakable rose bright to the upper air. The Flashing glare of the Thunder-Stone, its lightning, blinded their eyes-so strong it was. Astounding heat seized Chaos…It seemed as if Earth and wide Heaven above had come together, a mighty crash, as though Earth was hurled to ruin. Also were the winds brought rumbling, earthquake and dust storm, thunder and lightning.” (Sitchin, 1985). I would guess that this was a large nuclear weapon which was detonated on or close to the ground, thus producing a large mushroom cloud.

Zeus conquering Thyphon: “A flame shot forth from the stricken lord in the dim, rugged, secluded valley of the Mount, when he was smitten. A great part of huge earth was scorched by the terrible vapor, melting as tin melts when heated by man's art…in the glow of a blazing fire did the earth melt down.” (Sitchin, 1985).

Biblical references to nuclear warfare:

- The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah: “…(Abraham) looked toward Sodom and Gomorrah…and he beheld and saw a smoke rising from the earth, as the smoke of a furnace.” (Gen 18:27).

- “…and the Lord sent thunder and hail, and the fire ran along upon the ground; and the Lord rained hail upon the land of Egypt.” – Exodus 9:23

- “And it came to pass, as they fled from before Israel, and were in the going down to Bethhoron, that the Lord cast down great stones from heaven upon them unto Azekah, and they died: they were more which died with hailstones than they whom the children of Israel slew with the sword.” – Joshua 10:11

-“And the fire of God came down from heaven, and consumed him and his fifty.” – 2 Kings 1:12

-“Thou shalt make them as a fiery oven in the time of thine anger: the Lord shall swallow them up in his wrath, and the fire shall devour them.” – Psalms 21:9

- “A fire goeth before him, and burneth up his enemies round about.” – Psalms 97:3
    - “Thou shalt be visited of the Lord of hosts with thunder, and with earthquake, and great noise, with storm and tempest, and the flame of devouring fire.” – Isaiah 29:6
    There are many other clues regarding nuclear warfare. Childress (2000) discusses ancient atomic warfare, first Hattusas (Bogazkoy) in Turkey where “parts of the city are vitrified, and the walls of rock are partly melted.” He then discusses Sodom and Gomorrah and compares them with Hiroshima and Nagasaki. He thinks Sodom, Gomorrah, Zoar, Admah and Zeboiim (Gen. 14:2) were destroyed, creating the Dead Sea. He quotes L.M.Lewis, “Footprints on the Sands of Time”, who argues for atomic explosions. And he quotes from the Mahabharata an excellent description of an atomic battle in which Arjuna is given a “celestial weapon” which he cannot use against humans “for it might destroy the world”, but he could use it against “any foe who is not human.”

From the Mahabharata, as quoted by Charles Berlitz (1972), is probably the best description of ancient atomic warfare one can find: “…(it was) a single projectile, charged with all the power of the Universe. An incandescent column of smoke and flame, as bright as the thousand suns, rose in all its splendor…it was an unknown weapon, and iron thunderbolt, a gigantic messenger of death, which reduced to ashes the entire race of the Vrishnis and the Andhakas…the corpses were so burned as to be unrecognizable. The hair and nails fell out; pottery broke without apparent cause, and the birds turned white…after a few hours all foodstuffs were infected…to escape from this fire the soldiers threw themselves in streams to wash themselves and their equipment.”

Steinhauser (1975) relates a story from the Ramayana: “…when the god Rama was threatened by a ‘army of monkeys' (men or robots?) he put a ‘magic arrow' into action. This produces a flash of lighting ‘stronger than the heat from a hundred thousand suns', turning everything to dust. The hair of survivors falls out, their nails disintegrate. We know of such magic weapons from Sodom and Gomorrah, and from Hiroshima and Nagasaki.”

Mohenjo-Daro and Harappa, Pakistan: David Davenport (1996), who spent 12 years studying ancient Hindu scripts and evidence at the ancient site of Mohenjo-Daro, declared in 1996 that the city was instantly destroyed 2,000 years bc. The city ruins reveal the explosion's epicenter which measures 50 yards wide. At that location everything was crystallized, fused or melted. Sixty yards from the center the bricks were melted on one side indicating a blast…the horrible mysterious event of 4000 years ago was recorded in the Mahabharata. According to that text “white hot smoke that was a thousand times brighter than the sun rose in infinite brilliance and reduced the city to ashes. Water boiled…horses and war chariots were burned by the thousands…the corpses of the fallen were mutilated by the terrible heat so that they no longer looked like human beings…”

From one of the oldest chronicles of India...the Book of Dzyan:

"Separation did not bring peace to these people and finally their anger reached a point where the ruler of the original city took with him a small number of his warriors and they rose into the air in a huge shining metal vessel. While they were many leagues from the city of their enemies, they launched a great shining lance that rode on a beam of light. It burst apart in the city of their enemies with a great ball of flame that shot up to the heavens, almost to the stars. All those who were in the city were horribly burned and even those who were not in the city - but nearby - were burned also. Those who looked upon the lance and the ball of fire were blinded forever afterward. Those who entered the city on foot became ill and died. Even the dust of the city was poisoned, as were the rivers that flowed through it. Men dared not go near it, and it gradually crumbled into dust and was forgotten by men. When the leader saw what he had done to his own people he retired to his palace and refused to see anyone. Then he gathered about him those warriors who remained, and their wives and children, and they entered their vessels and rose one by one into the sky and sailed away. Nor did they return."

Childress (1999) also presents sketches of the Citadel of Mohenjo-Daro and a discussion of its destruction by nuclear explosion. Harappa and Mohenjo-Daro were the main cites of the “Harappa Culture” of the Indus Valley, an amazingly uniform and advanced urban civilization existing between 2500 and 1500 bc, the beginnings of which remain obscure.

About Parshaspur near Srinagar, Kashmir, David Childress (2000) states, “It is a scene of total destruction; huge blocks of stone are scattered about a wide area giving the impression of explosive annihilation.”

Zecharia Sitchin (1985) devotes an entire chapter to a discussion of nuclear warfare in ancient times in Mesopotamia and the Sinai peninsula. In this book he also suggests the destruction of the Sinai “space facilities” by nuclear weapons. He offers as evidence “…the immense cavity in the center of the Sinai and the resulting fracture lines (see figure), the vast surrounding flat area covered with blackened stones, traces of radiation south of the Dead Sea, the new extent and shape of the Dead Sea – is still there, four thousand years later”. He maintains that the radioactive fallout from this operation wiped out the area around Sumer for a period of 70 years, until 1953 bc.

So did the gods use nuclear weapons in their struggles with each other and with mankind? You be the judge!

4. man the ideas cool but i just can't sit here and read all of that mabey ill go toke and come back latter to check this out

5. well either that, or archeological dating is a complete sham..

6. Thats some krazy shit.. it leaves me speachless.. it seems like what master chief said.. impossible ?????

7. I dont think it to be accurate at all.

I sorta think people back in those days blew eveything out of proportion.
    either that or aliens(humans may have looked upon as gods) ran everything.

8. mmm...there are some possible. Yet odd explainations, but in this circumstance they are worth thinking about/discussing.

Well first of all--the whole carbon dating thing, I'm not really sure about. As others have stated it doesn't seem accurate. People have blown things out of proportion.

Early technology of Atomic weapons dating back to the eygiptians is infeasible unless they figured outsome simple and unstable way to design a nuclear weapon.

There are really *weird* explainations.
    Aleins, God (religion), e.t.c.

Yet one thing I can think about, which may seem a bit far fethced.
    A meteor.

Meteors are known to contain radiation, and cause massive damage from the smallest meteor that strikes earth.
    It would seem as a meteor "coming down from the heavens as a great fireball" e.t.c.

Thats the only logical explaination I can think of.

The idea of God striking down people doesn't make any sense at all--as God is supposlly forgiving, and loving--this idea of a destructive God seems stupid to me.
    For example things in the bible of "destructiveness e.t.c" where more then likely man made/caused and then overblown (in writing) to seem all large and mighty, and that God caused them. Man is the most destructive weapon. God doesn't cause war--stupid politions, leaders, and our destructive human nature do (if only we all smoked pot togheter from the beggining of time :smoke: )

Aleins testing some odd weapon or somthing--mmm...seems feasible, I mean of course you have to first belive in Aleins.
    So lets say for this situation that Aliens do exsist. Maybe they decided "hey these stupid humans are fighting agian--what do you want to do Zorloft?" Zorloft--"mmm....Zarlag ya know lets just blow em' up with our big lazer" Zarlag--"ya! good idea"
    *lazer fires--kills a bunch of shit*

lol

But what I've noticed from all the historical documentation posted here is that the blast seems to come "from the heavens" or from God, e.t.c. Fictional "facts" can be added later on about a person "shooting a arrow" e.t.c.
    Yet if the blast came from the "heaves/sky" I can see a meteor being a feasible option.

Hell we can get into some really twisted ideas here down to our Goverment may have the technology nowadays to actually vaporize incoming meteors without the knowledge of the open puplic.

We can even say that the Goverment may have tested nuclear weapons on that spot in India just hell---around ww2, and then covered it up and didn't say anything, kept it a hush hush deal, and knew that carbon dating wouldn't be able to tell when the nuclear blast was.

Theres all sorta ideas here.

9. There isnt enough radiation in a meteor to cause as much radiation as found in the area. Especially since the radiation from a meteor would probably die down after a short amount of time.

10. mmm...true, but we don't know, we haven't been wacked by a meteor as of lately to test it out. lol.
    What if a metor made outa pure plutonium just strikes the earth? lol

Theres so many ideas out there of what could've caused this event.
    Its rather mind bogging indeed.

11. until someone can prove to me that someone ignited an A-bomb thousands of years ago, then i'll have to believe the meteor theory for the time being..

12. Have you ever heard of a meteor hitting the earth causing high amounts of radiation? You havent, The radiation from the meteor would usually die down in a matter of days if not shorter.

13. A meteor couldn't have vitrified slabs of stone. It probly would have just blown them away. I'm still checking out links from the stuff you originally posted. It's insulting how badly we underestimate our ancestors. A few thousand years and our arrogance surpasses their ignorance.

14. I guess aleins then is the only reasonalbe explaination.
    lol! :smoke:

15. I propose 2 logical explanations.

1 some type of instability in the Plutoneum/uranium. causing a reaction to make its molecules completly flip out and cause the atom to flip out (which can happen, like when you mix burnt phosphorus to Oxegen it just burns).

2 Time travel. Its not possible yet, but for the sake of argument lets just say we develop it in lets say 100 years. And 100 years from now we decided to recreate the world and play God. So we go back and nuke Key moments in history and Bam new world is being Shaped. Who is to say it wont happen again. I am just saying anything is possible

16. There is no such thing as a meteor that is made of plutonium.
    "Plutonium appears at very low concentrations in nature, on the order of one part in 10 to the 11th power in pitchblende, the ore of uranium (U).
    Do transuranic elements such as plutonium ever occur naturally? : Scientific American

17. #17 Demiurge, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2012
    Aliens..

Not trolling. Aliens for real.

edit/ Oh for fucks sake. STOP NECROBUMPING THREADS!

18. There was no need to bring back a seven year old thread to prove someone wrong (who probably doesn't even post here anymore)

However, the opening post was insanely interesting.

19. its probably just remnants of a nuclear test and nobody wants to own up to it because its destroying all the people around there

20. [​IMG]

Just stayin :D