Dreadlocks

Discussion in 'General' started by Rerun, Feb 1, 2010.

1. whats happnin this evening GC :bongin:

well now, I started this thread 'cause Im curious about dreadlocks for a long time now and i could use a bit more info, so lets see if there are some natty dreads out here.

also I have no african hair at all, but fairly thick and dark. any tips or real life stories about this rebel hairstyle let me know!

:wave: P's out.

2. I'm about a month or so into the neglect method of dreading. My hair is also thick and dark, but anyone with any type of hair can do it.

Using the neglect method: throw your comb/brush away. you're never going to use it.

wash once-three times a week for the first two months, eventually weening your head from grease (grease will cease!)

within about four-six months, there should be some noticable dreads. for me, i already have probably around ten or twelve all in the under-layer of my hair...its pretty sick to let them grow

edit: oh yeah, when you wash your hair, dont use shampoo. Unless it's Dr. Bronners or whatever, but I just use water and baking soda

3. [​IMG]
    Takes a lot of commitment, my friend tried it and couldn't even last a month.

4. I'm in the process of getting my hair dreaded now. My family history is primarily African (way back in the line) and Palestinian, so I've got real coarse, thick hair, which helps it to dread a bit easier.

Just make sure you keep your shit clean, please. There is absolutely no reason, nowadays, to use the neglect method of dreading. It makes you look dirty. Get some residue-free shampoo and use the backcombing method. I have no clue how long it takes to dread white people hair, but mine are coming along nicely after about a week. I just retwist them every morning.

Although I've got my aunt doing mine for me, I used this website to buy some products off of, and to just get some general information.

5. Fuck seeing this thread made me wish i followed through on getting dreads a couple years back. I am a white dude with rather curly hair and my friend could do them for me and I grew my hair for a while dedicated to getting them but my hair just still wasnt long enough. Eventually I cut my hair short since i was working outdoors doing landscaping.

I think that eventually I will grow my hair out enough for decent dreads not like one inch dreads. I do not really have any experience with the neglect method of dreadlocks but with my hair even when i would wash it often i would still get some small kinda dreads since i wouldnt brush it.

If you want to do it then you should definately go for it, you hear some terrible stories about them getting moldy and shit but you can easily avoid that by taking care of them with the shampoos and stuff you can get.

6. Thanks alot for all the comments guys, really appriciated (and needed) =)
    I'm gonna check out the website links you guys posted and if I have further questions Ill be sure to come back here.

7. AHhh!!!!!

YOU WILL NEVER LEARN THE WAYS OF THE LOCKNESS MONSTER!!

jk!!

I'm actually close to 4 months into my dread journey so i'll give you a few tips and tricks.

Note: YOU do not need african american hair to dread up.

To start things off, the best way to get results is to train your scalp first. I didn't do this in the beginning because i sorta rushed into the whole thing which led to some very very gruesome nights of severe itching and scalp bleeding -_-

To train your scalp start using residue free shampoo OR just cut the shampoo all together. Washing basically with water only. Try to space out your hair washing by 2-3 days for the first 2 weeks. Then, if you like, go for 1 week without washing. This way your scalp is used to the routine and will stop producing the natural oils that keep your hair from matting. You will notice a few knottiness from this process but it will help in the future.

SO, lets say you've gone through your 3-4 week process of scalp preparation, and you are ready to dread. First of all there are a couple methods to be used and most are all wax free. PLEASE do not use wax because it'll cause hair damage and of course you'll get all that nasty crap in your hair.

Methods used: (there are more methods but these are a bit more standard)

Backcombing - a process in which you comb through the hair creating temporary knots.

Twist & Rip - a process in which you pull the hairs together after doing a quick twist (this hurts haha)

Natural/Neglect - just let go... no brushing (this is what i've been doing) this process takes LONGER but that's the whole point of the process. PATIENCE IS KEY.

No matter what method you use you will still wait. And waiting can be a pain.

I went Natural/Neglect and so far its fun the patience has really come into play. I've always been a patient person so it came easily for me. The only problem i ran into is dandruff which goes away from time to time depending on the weather.

Here's a picture at 3 months. You can see that they don't look like dreads yet but they do look sectioned in a few area's.

[​IMG]

8. #9 Rerun, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2010

Ahh dude you look absolutly amazing :hello:
    and thanks for the info bro, I think I will go for backcombing, not sure why but its a slight preference so far.
    and i was wondering about the washing with water only thing, thnx for that also. I was really confused about the washing part.
    I have just about the same hair as you do, just really need the patience now to let it grow.

edit: is this your father by any chance? [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jl5op2g1zw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jl5op2g1zw[/ame]
    if so, I love you.
    if not... then I still love you.

:smoking:

9. #10 Dank Dubs, Feb 1, 2010
    This is the site I used to learn how to make dreadlocks and take care of them. I had them for 3 months (Oct-Jan) and just chopped them off about 2 weeks ago. They are a PAIN in the ass, especially if you are doing them with wax. I suggest to not do them with wax because they always feel spongy and waxy. They'll tell you it won't feel weird and that wax helps and it doesnt. It just glues your hair together and actually prevents dreading.

These were my dreads right before I chopped them....

[​IMG]

notice how you can see they're somewhat flat? Well if you don't have wax in them they wont flatten out like that cause your hair isn't glued. I learned the hard way.

EDIT - I used the back-comb technique and got my girl to do them for me. The back-combing causes some pain, but nothing some weed can't fix. The best way to wash your hair is to get a Bar of Dread Soap and lather it on your hands, and then scrub your scalp. You dont need to wash every dread seperatly, because when you lather your scalp, when you wash the soap off it will run down the dreads and thats all the cleaning they need. When you get dreads, don't wash your hair for the first 2 weeks.. and then wash twice a week for the first 6 months.. then once a week for the rest of the time having them. Make sure you get your dreads completely dry everytime they get wet.

10. Word of advice... if your white DON"T get dreads. White people with dreads are just nasty bruh.

11. Hahah, I'm not white, atleast not really.
    Im a mix of Indonesian, Dutch, and some other EU countries.
    so Im slightly tanned and have a 'dark' look overall, so I think it wont be nasty ... i hope so atleast :( :wave:

12. You're an idiot.

All cultures throughout history have had dreadlocks. The Celts (who were white) were notable because of their "hair like snakes." Some Jews had them as well. The early Indus people had dreads also. So did some of the early indigenous groups in South America.

Dreads aren't a black thing. If you knew anything about history you would know that. Take your racist views elsewhere.

13. #14 Dank Dubs, Feb 1, 2010
    I disagree... these white people rock them pretty damn nice

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and how could I forget... my motherfucking IDOL

[​IMG]

14. Ahhh thats exactly how I wanted to wear my dreadlocks at times. :D

Thank you for your continued patronage. Keep em coming, this is motivating.

:hello::hello::hello:

15. [​IMG]

So I guess this is the washing method? (with either residue-free shampoo or bacon soda+water?)

heheh.. looks funny.

But do-able.

16. haha! Unfortunately, no he isn't. Yeah man i did backcombing in the beginning as well and only about 5 stayed in and are dreading SUPER fast :)

GOOD LUCK MAN!! It's a journey and its a damn good one too.

Patience patience patience and maybe some itching :D

17. Last one:

Yeah perhaps the "white people shouldnt have dreads thing" is kind of racist but;

[​IMG]

if you have only seen these things, i CAN imagine why one would say it.

18. Thought so =)
    haha thanks man :hello: I'm just kinda "dreading" the itch part.. and the bleeding part haha :eek:

and yes, patience patience patience. My hair currently (since I went to like almost bald a couple months back) its now aboutt.. I'd say almost 2 inches? Im not sure, not used to the whole inches and miles thing, Im EU, so it would be about 10+- cm at its longest.

So yea... patience :smoking: think some herb helps sometimes, doesnt it?

;)

19. haha. chill out dude. I never said that white people never had dreads so you don't really need to bring up history. And don't play the race card either, it doesn't work for you. All i said was the dreads look nasty on white people, i never said it was a black thing. Don't get at me like that again cuz i'm not tryin to ruin this dudes thread