What computer should i get?

Discussion in 'General' started by Wykid, Dec 23, 2004.

1. I am looking to get a new computer. I basicaly just want to run PhotoShop,DreamWeaver, music editing/making programs, and the net. I dont need real good graphic card (since i dont play games on PC). My budget is $1500. So any suggestions on what i should get? BTW, NO labtop, i want a desktop.

Thanks to anyone who replies. :smoking:

2. With $1500 you could make a REALLY good computer. I made a better than decent one with a little over $700. Order all your parts from www.newegg.com because they are cheaper and have really good service

3. get a very fast processor like 3.6 are very nice but not necessary. and get alot of ram all you need for what you want to do. everything else just get whatever. oh yea maybe a good sound card for your music

4. thanks to both of you.

5. yea dude, for $1500 you could build a kick ass computer. I built mine about a yr ago for about $800. I have used newegg but i like www.tigerdirect.com better. I have used both though.

I would advise getting an Athlon 64 processor over an intel. I just find they work more efficent. You need alot of ram, i would say 1 gig atleast also.

6. that what I'd do, except the best place to buy parts is www.pricewatch.com. bar none.

7. dog you don't need to spend $1500 on a computer if your not planning on playing any games.
    Unless you plan on buying one of those pre made rip off computers.
    Build your own.

I vouch for www.pricewatch.com and I also suggest that you spend up to $500 for what you need to do on the computer.
    $500 is still more then enough, esspecially if you don't plan on playing games.

8. If i were and I had that kind of cash i would get the new iMac from apple with a g5 prossecer, its amazing i have an eMac and i like it alot + you never get any virus's, you still have money left over if you went with the iMac ( Www.apple.com )

9. what ever you do, don't buy a mac. they are useless. I bulit a computer from parts from pricewatch.com for $500 and its better that the new G5.

10. Right, macs are useless. I laughed at that one. They do everything a PC does except with more style, and in the case of the G5, more speed.

11. I was looking at an alien ware laptop the other day that was around 1500 www.alienware.com I would just build one though...

12. Yeah, I'd take their advice and order parts and build your own. Go for a fast Athlon Processor.. at least 3.0. And for RAM get 1 gig. Get a newer G-Force video card. Hard drive you'll probably want at least 120 Gig. Good Luck man

13. Yeah i built mine for quite cheap, its good as you get exactly what you want and its so much cheaper.. Oh yeah and if u do get a 64 bit processor make sure u get 64 bit edition xp, and i think 2003 server (also 64 bit edition) is free to try for like 180 days too.. might wanna look into that..

But yeah build it and you could buy yourself a sweet sound system for it with the money uve saved..

yeah also rule of thumb if you are upgrading as you go, buy a nice monitor first before u upgrade other bits as monitors usually stay the same in price..

14. Its all about your use-
    for your use "PhotoShop,DreamWeaver, music editing/making programs"

I do suggest a mac--yet they are pricey.
    I suggest you go for a alienware pc.
    I think your spending to much $ on what your purpose is though.
    $1,500 even more then enough for a hardcore gamer to make a great computer.

15. Gilligan's words of wisdom of the day: DO NOT BUY A MAC.

16. You could build a decent computer for around $500, I prefer PC's over Macs
    but for running photoshop and music programs Macs are superior, but you will have to spend significantly more

17. macs are better for his purposes, idiots. "don't get a mac, don't get a mac." in most cases you are right. but macs are made for editing and creativity. and that sounds like his goal to me. i'd still pick a pc over a mac because they have more compatibility with everything, but macs are specialized for his type of work. but yeah, if you go with a regular desktop then you probably won't need 1500 unless you want to go all out and way above.

18. Its all true.
    Macs are custimized for his use.
    Yet PCs can be custimized to the way you want--esspecially if you hav $1500.
    Yet agian--$1500s WAY to much for your needs dog!! :)

--Will

19. Spent 1200 on mine... 650gram full copper heatsink overclockable mobo ...

Hell this was awhile ago..you could probably do the same for under 7....

Mac sucks for professional video editing... the g4 testing with adobe products was bias an in the end PC is still the more professional system.

Linux...unix...a slew of cases from server to desktop...mac is way behind an will always be when it comes to professionals who actually like getting their hands dirty.