what happens when you run your debit card as credit?

Discussion in 'General' started by elements, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Just wondering cuz im pretty broke till Thursday but I'm hungry today. I've heard of people running their debit cards as credit but I'm just wondering like if they take the money out on a certain day later or what? I hope my question makes sense

2. in order to run a debit as credit you still need to have the money in there to cover the total or it will decline

3. i don't think it matters. if your cards empty, the banks gonna slap on an overdraft fee. someone correct me if i'm wrong :confused:

4. #4 ADIV, Dec 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2009
    If you mean can you give the McDonalds cashier your debit card for payment, then yes.

If you mean can you charge things to your debit card without having the money, then no. Unless you have ready reserve, but I doubt you do if you didn't already know this :)

Also, if you run your debit card as credit they probably will take it out at a later date, but most places will be able to tell if you have money on your account anyways.

If my post helped please +rep?

5. Pretty sure it will just run it as debit if you have the money. If not, get ready for overdraft fees.

6. not supposed to ask for rep dude.

and if you don't have the money to cover it, they charge you anyway. i don't even know why they have a credit feature, it's not like you can borrow against yourself.

7. Allright let me see if i can clear this up. This is all regarding my experience dealing with this

If your planning on waiting until Thu, dont do it, they will most likely process it by then, however every business is different. Most do it each business day.

Now unlike stated above, you CAN charge something to your debit card as credit, but you have to have SOME money in your account, to cover the processing fee, which once again differs, its usually around 30 cents.

8. Hmm ok thanks guys I was just confused as to why someone would run their debit card as a credit unless they forgot their pin number haha...I guess there is no way of beating the system this time...overdraft fees FTL

9. You gotta read those transaction fees carefully man, most places will let you run as credit on a debit card but the charges are ridiculous.

Its better just to get real credit card, for such an occasion.

10. Yeah, I owe bank of america about $500. I just kept using my debit card as credit, it worked until about $500 lol.

11. bank of america is ridicul0us

12. word dude I was lookin at my statement and I notice I was charge $1.50 just for viewing my balance on a certain ATM
    I knew it would cost money to take money out but I thought I could at least view my balance for free.
    Banks really know how to be like decieving.

Also I know 1.50 aint much but I've thought to myself well I had 5$ in my account before i spent 3 so I should still have 2 left to buy a soda but then there is only .5o so I go over and get a 35.00 overdraft fee..thats hypothetical btw but still

13. #13 MowieWowie, Dec 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2009
    debit, credit don't matter how you use that card you'll get that fee unless you can put money in there within the next couple days before the transaction goes threw, I've been in this situation many times this is what you do, go into the local grocery chain and pick up one of those hand basket things, load it up with food and walk or if you have to run out of there, normally they're not worried about people trying to steal food.

elements you in Phx?

14. you can use it as credit and buy what you want but there will probably be quite a hefty overdraft fee if you do that...so if it's worth like $100 (or however much your bank charges) plus the cost of whatever you wanna buy, then go for it

15. east mesa lol close enough to phoenix i guess

16. Dude.....his rep would be neutral. No point in asking lol.

17. I always use my debit card as credit because the bank only allowed you a certain number of debit purchases a week then they start to charge you.

18. #18 umphreak.mcgeek, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2009
    ^this...My bank only allows me to do 10 debit transactions a month after that its a 1.50 charge every time i use my card, but i can use my card an unlimited amount of times if i tell the cashier to run it as credit. Not all banks are like this but that is why you have the choice most of the time, just so you can avoid that extra charge. I know sneaky on the banks part if you don't know, but that's why i love my bank they told me that info right away and told me i should always tell the cashier to run my debit card as a charge card. The money doesn't always get taken out right away but it will tell me online that there was a charge to my card even if it hasn't "offically" gone through yet.

edit: also my card will get declined if i try using it as credit and there isn't enough money to cover the amount, but if i use it as debit it will allow the transaction to go through but i will get an overdraft fee. Yet another reason I always run the card as credit even though it is only a debit card.

19. this entire thread just reminds me to keep my monies in a safe, in my closet

BANKS SUCK!!!!:mad: