Carl Sagan talks about weed

Discussion in 'General' started by JesusGreen, Oct 14, 2009.

1. For those of you who don't know who Carl Sagan is:
    Carl Sagan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marijuana Uses - Dr. Lester Grinspoon's Marijuana Uses

He wrote this anonymously at the time so as not to damage his reputation. But it gave me the idea to start recording the "revelations" I have when I'm high, so I tried last night, and although I was pretty gone, I did manage to get one interesting one written down.

The exact quote of what I wrote last night was "Weed tolerance is about how dirty your lungs are". It sounds a bit odd to my sober mind, but like Carl did I've been thinking about it logically to see if it holds any value, and I actually believe it could. Why is it that no matter how high we build up our tolerance there is never a point where we can't experience a high? Also, why is it that although a long-term tolerance takes a long time to build up, that when you smoke too much at once, you won't get much more from it? I started to think and I realised that actually how clean your lungs are could be a large part of it. There should be no tolerance to THC since it is more readily accepted by the cannabinoid receptors than our bodies own cannabinoids - and if we built up a tolerance to this, in theory our own cannabinoid would not be able to function, causing us a lot of problems. If you take a pipe, and you smoke through it until it gets dirty, you won't be able to inhale as well through it as you could before - the same goes for your lungs, when tar and resin builds up in your lungs, a lot of the THC is never going to reach its destination, therefore it'd produce a similar effect to a tolerance. What happens when we take a 3-4 week break? Our lungs are much cleaner and we are able to get just as high as before. This would also explain why a lot of people claim to never get as high as they originally did, no matter the length of the break, since essentially even if you only smoke one joint or cigarette, your lungs won't ever replenish to 100% of their former health, 99.9% maybe, but not 100%. This also explains the "initial tolerance" some people experience, as your lungs are not used to absorbing foreign material yet.

Ha, anyway, maybe I'm just rambling, but either way, what do you think of what Carl Sagan wrote, and what do you guys think about my own little thought last night?

2. your theory makes sense because im always way higher than my friends are and the only thing i do different is french inhale...so the thc gets absorbed through the mucous membrane instead the of lungs....idk

3. Carl Sagan is a genius...He prob has the most influence in my life...I read mostly all of his work and watched the "cosmos" series a thousand times (peeps should def check it out)...and when I found out that he was an avid pot smoker :hello:

4. That quote is timeless. This and his 'Pale Blue Dot' paragraph (with the photo helps too :D) are such eloquent reminders that art, literature and science (and drugs!) can be intertwined with some beautiful and very impressive results!

My recent stoned thought runs something along these lines. What correlation might exist between romantic love as manifested in marriage between humans and the lifelong dedication and love a dog holds for his master? I say this and not a 'parent/child' relationship because a dog actively protects their humans, which I am yet to see either a human child or animal cub do for their parent. Now obviously, we're not going to find out in any kind of objective sense, and it's possibly not even able to be scientifically investigated (every dog has a different relationship with their master, making any kind of experiment unable to be repeated and scientifically verified - among at least a billion other flaws), but maybe some kind of brave evolutionary psychologist (who has a particular expertise in dogs :D) has some ideas?

5. This is a valid theory, however it probably wouldn't hold up with edibles/vape as they dont dirty your lungs but still cause tolerance.

6. Oh shi-

A very valid hole in my little theory! :smoking:

7. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmMUuR--Qvo]YouTube - Carl Sagan: Pale Blue Dot[/ame]

I absolutely love Carl Sagan

8. I'd conclude that tolerance is affected by more than one variable. One of those variables being how dirty your lungs are. :)