Can I get into these colleges and could you reccomend me some others?

Discussion in 'General' started by a bag of it, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Ok first a little background info. I go to a small private boarding school in western Maine, but am a resident of Massachusetts. I will be a senior this fall and will be taking two AP's having taken one my junior year. I am pretty smart, but tend to be lazy with homework so that is the reason for my low GPA. I am interested in engineering. I want to go to college in a good location, not in the middle of nowhere.

GPA: 3.0/4.0
    SAT: 640M 620R 500W
    ACT: 32 Composite 34 Reading 33 Science 32 Math 28 English
    EC's: 1 year of JV soccer 2 years of Varsity
    3 years of JV lacrosse
    1 year of Varsity Cycling
    4+ years of USSA/USASA Snowboarding
    1 week trip to Hungary freshman year, stayed with host family
    1 week of comunity service sophmore year
    1 week winter survival camping trip junior year
    I attended WPI Frontiers Program this summer

so far some of the schools I'm looking at are BU, Northeastern, Brown(hah), Cornell(hah), Tufts, UVM, NYU, University of Colorado Boulder, U Mich, Cal Poly SLO

I know I have a good chance at Boulder and UVM but what about the others and what are some other similar schools. They must have an engineering program. BTW I have a connection with the director of admissions at U Mich so I might be able to get in if even if i normally wouldn't

thanks a lot in advance if you have any other questions let me know

2. I'm no admissions officer,but you have some fairly decent numbers and good EC activities, im not sure about the few Ivy schools u have up there but who knows, just apply and see

3. You won't get into an elite school, but you should be fine elsewhere.

4. Go To Boulder! Think about the snowboarding! Plus they are really mellow about the MJ laws there aren't they?

5. #5 MaltedGrapez, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2009
    3.0 is an okay GPA, it isn't outstanding by college admissions terms but you have a lot of extra shit that looks good and since your GPA doesn't start with a "2" it makes it look like you can juggle a lot of stuff at once...which is good...
    Is your family wealthy? UoC @ Boulder is fucking expensive-out-the-ass if you're not a Colorado Resident. My friend ian go into BU with a 3.6 BU but his dad works for the school... this other kid i know with a 3.2 & many more extra shit did not get in. NorthEastern is a sweet school -- you'll get in... most people i know who applied there did. I had no idea about the other schools but Brown, Cornell, Tufts & NYU I would not get your hopes up for & they cost a fuck ton too... lol... However, for all I know you could get into all these schools, so .........................good luck!

hope you have fun @ college.... make the most of it, it goes by so fast, faster than you'll ever think.

P.S. -- if you get accepted & can afford Boulder...GO THERE! I visited some friends who live across the street from the campus in their own apartment and she goes to boulder... fucking awesome schoool, the campus is BEAUTIFUL, the surrounding area is beautiful too the rockies are just amaaazzzing to look at, travel to, hike on, snowboard/ski, camp...etc.... The weed there is also fantastic (not that you should choose a school based on weed!, /facepalm) and very decently priced (i was getting daaaaaank sativa from my friend for 50/8th--she got it from a medical place 2 blocks away for $40-45/8th)

6. Can't speak for them all, but you probably have a good shot a Michigan even without the admissions guy. I'm sure you'll have a great time at any school, but Michigan was everything I could have ever hoped for in a school (except for the whole football shitfest).

7. #7 ZarTheDragon, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2009
    you can get into most cal-states...
    humbolt state.
    cal state chico.
    cal state san jose.
    Arizona state unviersity.
    Uni of Az
    Oregon state.
    temple in philly.

8. If 3.0 is bad, then I must be fuckn retarded. I never cared much about school but you have great scores. I'm sure any college short of harvard will accept you

9. Thanks for the responses guys, and to whoever asked, yes my family is relativly wealthy tution won't be an issue

10. I was under the impression that UM was hard to get into, but maybe that's just the B-School.

To the OP, have you thought about any ACC schools? Boston College, University of Maryland, Georgia Tech, Vtech, UVA? All good engineering schools. actually, heh, not to self promote, but UMD has a baller engineering program and one of the only places to offer Fire Protection Engineering. The only issue I had with UMD(I went there for bio engineering) was its not a "college town" but that's because DC and Baltimore are like MAX 30 min away. Theres also preety good smoke round College Park, but seriously ur gona find good smoke EVERYWHERE. Food for thought.
    EDIT: you could def get into UMD and prolly vtech or GaTech with ur grades and shit.

11. northeastern is a good school, awesome location to. My brother almost went there, but decided to go to URI instead.

12. I thought that too about U Mich, but I've gotten mixed reviews. Out of all the ACC schools BC and Duke are the only ones that really interest me, but BC doesn't have engineering and Duke is too hard to get into for how good their engineering is.

13. I suggest you go to Northeastern. They got a great engineering program. I have numerous friends that go there and love it. They also got a co-op program. They get you internships while your in school so you got connections before you even graduate. There is going to be crazy rippers, hot girls and sticky bud no matter what school you choose. Don't let these constants effect your decision.

14. no that doesn't help at all actually, you think I haven't done that. It doesn't take into consideration how good the school is or if it's in a cool place. Sure you can filter by state but theres a huge difference between western mass and boston, and same with every other state. The reason I posted this on a forum is to get a much more personal response from people who have experience with a particular college or know someone who has.

15. #16 Blotzin, Aug 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2009
    lol why the fuck would you ask a bunch of stoners where to go to college??? how bout you just do this through your guidance counselour like every other single person in the united states...honestly the only answers ur gonna get here are weed colleges like in boulder colorado or like california colleges

and honestly it doesnt matter which school you go to...unless its like harvard or yale or another GREAT school..if its not like that then a degree is the same as the next one at a different school

EDIT - lol i just looked at all the school u wanna go to...dude u better be motherfuckin rich or have A LOT of scholarships at thise schools...BU is 50 grand a year...thats fuckin riduculous...i think u are very stupid if u go to an expensive school if YOU are paying for college (i mean who the fuck has their parents pay for college...thats not cool)

16. Thanks for hurting my feelings. Ass. What do you want to go to school for?

17. Yeah, really. You're the one asking US for help and when someone shows you a link you tell them it's not worth the time? Damn. The best way to choose a college is by visiting. Once you visit a school and fall in love with it then that's where you should be heading, not to a place where there is "dank buds" or "hot chicks". Choose a college you think is right for YOU.

18. I was just kidding though haha.

19. Obviously this isn't what I'm basing my decision off of, but there are plenty of well educated people on here that could at least voice their opinion. I will talk to my guidance counselor when I get to school, but now I am on summer vacation.

The second part of your post is just ignorant. Employers know what schools are good and what schools aren't. You may get the same education at one school from one school to another its the reputation of the school that a lot of employers look at. That being said education isn't everything in college, a lot of its about who you meet and what else you do while you're there. Generally speaking, the better the college the more connections you can get out of it simply because they're are well known people teaching at them. And the overall college experience definitely varies from college to college so maybe you should actually think about what you post before you post it.

haha sorry, I might be an ass but you're just plain stupid is says in my original post twice that I'm interested in engineering