Marijuana = Testicular Cancer?

Discussion in 'General' started by Glass Jar, Jul 9, 2009.

1. #1 Glass Jar, Jul 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2009
    Avoid Testicular Cancer By Avoiding Marijuana » Health Watch Center

Just found this article.

Also read the first comment at the bottom of the page, apparently the causation is based on a single, very shaky study.

I agree that taking in any psychosomatic drug that instigates mental and physical change temporarily may be risky during adolescence and development for reasons we don't know, but I don't really believe that having THC receptors in your testicles makes them more prone to cancer..

Does anybody know if there are other parts of your body besides your balls and brain that also have THC receptors, so we can all comment on that article and further prove them wrong?

2. your brain, right?

3. hey guys, i heard when your heart beats you die a little each time.. so we should make an invention that makes our hearts stop beating, because its obviously unhealthy.

4. this is the most profound and brilliant thing ive heard come from anyone in arkansas

5. if marijuana causes testicular cancer then mine are gonna turn green and fall off. :D

6. 3 of my homies just lost their balls. I TOLD THEM TO PUT DOWN THE BONG!!!1

Stop spreading this misinformation. The only ones receptive to it are naive and hostile people.

7. I left a short comment on that. What a strange article. :confused:

8. Good thing I don't have any testiculars.

9. Do your balls hang low? Do they wobble in the snow? Do you beat your meat on the toilet seat? Do you tang your wang with the rest of the gang...?

Sorry that article made me think of that song :p

10. I could see how they would think this, or more like smoking WHILE going through puberty, but we're gonna need something better than this to make sense of the actual situation.

11. Most likely the link between testicular cancer and marijuana usage is due to the age of the individuals not a link between THC and cancer. Most marijuana users are between 16-30, an age group that has a biggest cancer risk of testicular cancer. The fact that many of those poor guys who got testicular cancer happened to smoke weed does not mean cannabis caused the cancer but rather the age groups simply overlap.

12. my good sir i do believe it is -

Do your balls hang low?
    Do they wobble to and fro?
    Can you tie 'em in a knot?
    Can you tie 'em in a bow?
    Can you throw them over your shoulder
    Like a continental soldier?
    Do your balls hang low?

13. you guys missed the point, this only happens when you smoke WITH you balls. duuuuuuuuh.

14. This is the data taken directly from the study that reported this finding:

[​IMG]

The problem with social scientists is they think a couple of percentage points difference (arguably within the margin of error) is significant enough to draw biochemical conclusions. If you tried to do real a real biochemical study and reported a <5% difference as significant you'd get smacked around by your peer reviewers. The main question that should be asked is this:

What percentage of cancerous subjects have smoked MJ before versus what percentage of non-cancerous subjects have smoked MJ before? The answer: 73% vs 68%. I'll leave it up to you to decided if that is significant.

15. I always kinda thought that if MJ had some serious effect with cancer that the Gov't would be parading the bodies in the streets and saying that it does kill people.

So I naturally have my doubts.

16. Funny, I found studies that prove the opposite

17. Well if Marijuana causes testicular cancer than why in canada you are able to get a medical license for cancer?

"Canada's "Marihuana Medical Access Regulations" (MMAR) provide for the licensing of patients to legally access and use medical marijuana if they have been diagnosed with any of the following medical conditions: Cancer, HIV/AIDS Infection, Multiple Sclerosis, Spinal Cord Injury, Spinal Cord Disease, Severe Arthritis, Epilepsy, or are presently receiving compassionate end of life care."

taken from:
    Medical Marijuana Information Resource Centre - Canada's Marihuana Medical Access Regulations

i mean cancer is cancer right? why give someone something that will help but it will also create more of the same thing? that article is bullshit

18. I also heard if you swallow your spit a lot over a number of years, it will kill you. Sad but true :( :rolleyes:

19. #19 Glass Jar, Jul 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2009
    I'm not spreading misinformation, sorry if it came off that way. I posted an article that I myself pointed out flaws in, and invited serious comments on it, which you didn't do :confused:

No, different treatments of cancer are used for different types of cancer. Cancer is just a vague term used to describe inappropriate cell reproduction. Not saying some blanket painkiller-type meds aren't used for all cancer patients, but there are many different types of cancer that need different treatments.

About my first post, according to Wikipedia there are CB2 receptors for cannabinoids in cells of the immune system as well, so there's got to be at least something going on there, positive or negative or neutral.

20. lol thats funny