origin of the word marijuana

Discussion in 'General' started by addictedtoweed, Apr 6, 2009.

1. I was curious as to the origins of the word marijuana, i heard it was used to make cannabis sound foreign and dangerous..although im not sure if this is true

but i would like to know so help is appreciated

2. the word "marijuana" originated in Mexico. It's basically the mexican way of saying "Mary Jane".

The gubbamint chose to use this word to make marijuana sound foreign and dangerous.

3. hahaha that made me laugh. +rep

4. According to WikiPedia:

My impression has alway been what's stated above...

It was a Mexican word... used in place of the English word Hemp in order to separate and vilify one portion of the plant (and an Ethnic group)...

In the South-west of the 1920's... Mexican labor was cheap and plentiful. Then, when the nation hit the skids in the 30's... there were not enough jobs for the American population.. let alone the immigrant population...

So, they vilified the Mexican word for the drug side of the plant... and used it to control the Mexican population in the SW...

All the while keeping the vilified flower portion of the plant separate from hemp... the stalk and stems of the plant itself...

A few of the Marijuana documentaries explain it much better (and clearer) than I can...

Hope this helped...

5. I heard it was a word some tribe called which meant gift from above or somthing like that...

6. Bump.

7. Thats exactly what i was talking about. Iv been trying to find that again for ages now. :D